Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just how powerful is "Om" ?

Just how powerful is "Om" ?

Hari Om!

So as you can see, am struggling with the mantra OM. Have been told through the years that it is the most powerful of all mantras, especially if chanted by itself. And by doing so that the aspirant will gain spiritual advancement quickly. (For lack of better terms).

So have been chanting the mantra basically before and then again after doing my Guru mantra but by means to an extraordinary amount.

As have mention in another post, the scum is coming to the top of the water to be cleared, but almost in amounts that I can't handle. There is also a plus side. I feel a temporary peace after having had chanted.

Does anyone else have similar experiences with this manta? Should I stick with it or just give up for a short period and then try again at a later date? Truly any guidance would be appreciated.

With an abundance of gratitude -

Om

Re: Just how powerful is "Om" ?

' OM ' is the most powerful beeja manthra . It gives all siddhies , fulfils all desires , gives unlimited contentment . The most important thing is the sadhaka should have utmost faith , trust , concentration , dedication , determination and devotion .If done with all hese perquisites one gets siddhi in 40 days . It is omnicient , omnipotent ,all pervasive manthra . when OM is done there is no need to do any other manthra . Even at the physical front also , it cures many diseases like high or low blood pressure , lungs ,and heart problems , ear problems , coughs colds and other gastrointestine problems .It fills the mind with eternal bliss and physically gives great strength .If one does for some time and gets disappointed and leaves it , there is no use .It gives confidence and makes one a siddha if done continuously.It does not belong to one particular religion or one particular language .It is an universal sound and the vibration reaches every where and every soul .

Namaste
    Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    Hari Om!

So as you can see, am struggling with the mantra OM. Have been told through the years that it is the most powerful of all mantras, especially if chanted by itself. And by doing so that the aspirant will gain spiritual advancement quickly. (For lack of better terms).
    As far as I know there are mantras that are more powerful than mantra Om!
    It is said that some holy names of the Lord are more powerful than mantra Om. So it seems that the spiritual power contained in the holy names of the Lord is greater than spiritual power contained in Om.

Spiritual advancement can be accomplished with Om as well as with holy names of the Lord but holy names of the Lord are more powerful. That's what I learned on the subject.

regards

Dear Smith Ji Namaskar,

There isn't any more powerful or less powerful Vedic mantra if you speak spirituality wise. The 'OM' signifies the last or beyond manifest or absolute state of Brahman, which is not different from Shiva or Shakti or Narayana or Surya. The understanding that OM is not different from absolute is more important than chanting it. However in terms of sound vibrations - different mantras have different vibration and different effect on different people. You should give preference to mantra which makes you more comfortable. If you feel Gayatri mantra or 'Om Namo Narayana' or 'Namah Shivay' or any other feels more comfortable to you then please feel comfortable to give preference to that very Mantra.
    When the light has risen, there is no day, no night, neither existence nor non-existence; Siva alone is there. That is the eternal, the adorable light of Savitri, - and the ancient wisdom proceeded thence (Svetasvatara Upanishad IV-18). :)

Namaste Smith,

Hari Om!

So have been chanting the mantra basically before and then again after doing my Guru mantra but by means to an extraordinary amount.

As have mention in another post, the scum is coming to the top of the water to be cleared, but almost in amounts that I can't handle. There is also a plus side. I feel a temporary peace after having had chanted.

Does anyone else have similar experiences with this manta? Should I stick with it or just give up for a short period and then try again at a later date? Truly any guidance would be appreciated.

With an abundance of gratitude -

Om
    Chanting of OM correctly and with focused mind will lead to Self-realisation, says Mundaka Upanishad. OM is everything ... it is Brahman and it is Ishvara, it is the world and it is the Self ... says MAndukya Upanishad. Kathopanishad says that it is the ultimate goal of all tapas, all dharma, all spiritual efforts ... it is ONLY for OM. It is the highest goal ... it is the ultimate and there is nothing beyond OM.

OM is made of A+U+M+ (silence) i.e. four states of Reality/Self. So, if you want to go for Self-realisation, it is the best vehicle. However, it is Nirguna and therefore, it is difficult to connect with it mentally and therefore, it may not be suitable for the beginners.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Vannakkam c.smith:

Just how powerful do you want it to be?

By that I mean I see it as a versatile mantra, both the ideal starter for beginners, and the ideal ender for the more accomplished. In my sampradaya, it's encouraged throughout all stages of the path to nirvikalpa samadhi, and is never dangerous.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

As much as I dislike comparing and grading anything associated with divinity, Om is the first primordial sound of the divine and therefore the most beneficial of all mantras.

However, as you mentioned,
    ....the scum is coming to the top of the water to be cleared, but almost in amounts that I can't handle. There is also a plus side. I feel a temporary peace after having had chanted.

Does anyone else have similar experiences with this manta? Should I stick with it or just give up for a short period and then try again at a later date?
    if things are becoming unmanageable, I would lay off for a while; or mix chanting of Om with the chanting of other mantras. Hope that helps. Best wishes.

Pranam.

Namaste c.smith,

Power is energy multiplied by time, time manifests after om; we might then consider om to be above power, to simply be:

When chanted specificaly, om will resonate all the way down to muladhara bringing life in to any mantra which in consequence follows; the bass resonance travels much further and penetrates deeper than other frequencies and the oscillation is much more apparent to the practitioner.

Kind regards.

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    Power is energy multiplied by time....
    Not to upset the applecart but,
    Energy = Power X Time

Hope that does not take away anything from your final conclusions.

Pranam.

Dear sir ,
    with due respects I add -- 'energy accentuated is power '

Thread Information