Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Temple, A Priest and A Cell Phone....

One Temple, A Priest and A Cell Phone....

Hari Om!

While out for an early morning drive, the car just somehow ended up at my favorite Mandir. It was just after opening and Panditji was just about to preform puja and aarti for the morning. Was elated to be there to start the day in this fashion and felt guided by Lord Hanuman and the Gods as if to receive special blessings. Know that I most certainly did. Jai Jai Hanuman!

So, what's the issue? Cell phone rang in the middle of the ceremony and he went to answer it. Twice this is. Talked for a bit and then returned to the puja. Makes me wonder...

1. Is this commonplace today? Here in the U.S.? Elsewhere?

2. Do priests really "feel" what they are doing or is it just mechanical? No fault either way (maybe?) because it is something that is done daily and several times at that in many mandirs.

I was the only one in attendance and although not a personal friend, I am known to Panditji because this is a temple that I frequent. I don't feel like it was a personal issue directed at me. Thus the queries above.

Please help.

Om

Re: One Temple, A Priest and A Cell Phone....

Namaste c.smith,

I had the same experience during my first ever temple visit with puja, it was in the Jageshwar temple, in the Himalaya ... I was more than a little disturbed by this.

My guru had forewarned me and given an adequate mantra cleanse the heart.

Perhaps it is that they do they not realize the importance of the chandas? One must wonder.

Kind regards.
    Last edited by Mana; 11 May 2014 at 12:21 PM.

Vannakkam c.smith: Here at the temple I frequent I noticed yesterday that the 'no cellphones, no cameras, no other electronic devices' got bigger and more visible. Clearly the problem with devotees hasn't vanished and is a case for the board's frustration.

I have never once seen either of our two priests interrupt a puja for the phone. They do occasionally tell a phoning devotee about what to bring for a home, etc. but that's only outside puja times. Heck, even the manager doesn't anser the phone when the puja is on because he's busy ringing the bells at the back.

Choose your temple wisely, I guess.

Aum namasivaya

Dear EM,

I am glad to hear that EM you reassure me, the temple is its self an antenna for infra sound; and probably best without the microwaves.

Kind regards.

Namaste,

Evidently the Panditji either does not take his job seriously, or feels bound to answer the calls (even in the middle of a puja) from the mandir managing committee members to keep his job. In either case it is unfortunate for devotees to have to go through with this experience.

Pranam.

Namaste,

Generally priests don't use mobile phones during Puja unless it an important call.

I used to feel bad before when similar things happened but nowadays I don't care.Our personal practice is more important to us.So I start chanting names of gods and try not to react about such things.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram116040 View Post
    Namaste,

Generally priests don't use mobile phones during Puja unless it an important call.
    Vannakkam: And just how, exactly, does someone determine if it is an important call, before answering?

But going back to the OP for a minute, I had further thoughts. Some priests in this country (US and Canada) are notoriously underpaid. They're given a place to stay, a food allowance, and then paid the equivalent of a priest in India. So some of these guys, out of necessity, would have to earn dakshina on the side by doing home pujas, etc. In that case I feel for them, and have no problem whatsoever with them answering the phone at any time at all to arrange pujas outside the temple.

Each temple situation is different though. A well paid priest is a happy priest. They should earn the equivalent of any other clergy in any other religion here.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Ji,

I've attended a Vedic sacrifice conducted by a great Vedic Pandith.Although ,he would get many calls he never answered them during the ritual,which was for more than 10 hours daily.He answered the call only once,probably it was from his family members,so I thought it must have been a very important call.His disciples continued with the chanting and ritual process while he was speaking.

I agree with you EM ji.Priests should be honored appropriately for the Seva they are doing.It is a sad to hear that they have to search for clients.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste,

Ah there we go, money ... Human hunger and the desire to eat; this will often, it would seem, disrupt the higher loka.

Perhaps it is driving the proverbial chariot in this case?

Kind regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    Namaste,

Ah there we go, money ... Human hunger and the desire to eat; this will often, it would seem, disrupt the higher loka.

Perhaps it is driving the proverbial chariot in this case?

Kind regards.
    Vannakkam: Of course we don't know for sure. The priest may well have had a family emergency, or he may have been told by the board that he should always answer the phone. We aren't privy to much information at all.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information