Thread: ॐ as God

1. Question ॐ as God

Namaste,

I'm interested in knowing whether there are any sampradayas, that only refer to the vibration of the syllable OM (ॐ) as God? I started playing the didgeridoo and it resonates so much with the syllable om that I use it in my meditation practice and I feel ॐ's healing powers. I've never read the Vedas nor do I have access to any gurus near me so my knowledge of Sanatana Dharma is very limited.

Can I focus only on the syllable OM as a form of Bhakti? Coming from an atheist background (now ardent theist) I am not used to puja or murtis but I am a devotional person in every aspect of my life.

And lastly, can OM be brahman worthy of worship?

PS: I'm new to this forum but I've read a lot on here to grasp the complex philosophies of many sampradayas. If any of you don't mind I kinda use this forum as a source of reference.

Re: ॐ as God

Dear friend ,
    Yes , you can worship ' OM ' as God . The meditation on 'OM ' leads to the realistion of Absolute reality. A person who wants to conquer his internal enemies ,who wants to get release from all chains of imprisonments who wants to lead the life according to righteous principles has to do 'OM' It is the easiest sadhana . 'OM ' leads to infinity and eternity .Where any other manthra is taken , the purpose is limited . Om encompasses all the other manthras and deities where as other manthras and deities are limited to that particular deity , though it is said ultimately all manthra sadhanas lead to the same absolute Brahman .

namaste.

ॐ is a part of almost all mantras and rituals used in Hindu pujas, which also involve meditation on the NirguNa Brahman it represents. If you do a google-search with the text "aum meditation" you would find that our gurus like YogAnandA and others advocate it.

However, I would use the gAyatrI mantra for chanting and meditation as it describes the manifestation of aum as the foundation of everything.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Namaste
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleYogi View Post
    I'm interested in knowing whether there are any sampradayas, that only refer to the vibration of the syllable OM (ॐ) as God?

Can I focus only on the syllable OM as a form of Bhakti?

And lastly, can OM be brahman worthy of worship?
    Lord Krishna says "I am the syllable oḿ" in the Bhagavad gita 9.17 (http://vedabase.net/bg/9/17/en). So, when Vaishnavas meditate on the mantra Om they realize that Om is God, Lord Krishna who is the Supreme Lord.

Bhakti means to consider ourselves as a soul devoted to God. If you meditate on Om while knowing that Om is God and thus you think that you are devoted to God, then certainly it can be considered as bhakti.

God (deva) is Brahman often called Parabrahman (paraḿ brahma) or the Supreme Brahman. This is confirmed in the Bhagavad gita 10.12:
    paraḿ brahma paraḿ dhāma ... ādi-devam ajaḿ vibhum (http://vedabase.net/bg/10/12-13/en).
    Since God is identical to Om and is Brahman (Parabrahman), you can worship the Lord as Om and Brahman.

Meditating in this way you can achieve spiritual perfection as it is said in the Bhagavad gita 8.13 (http://vedabase.net/bg/8/13/en) :
    "After being situated in this yoga practice and vibrating the sacred syllable oḿ, the supreme combination of letters, if one thinks of the Supreme Personality of Godhead and quits his body, he will certainly reach the spiritual planets."

regards

Ofcourse. Om is the ultimate path and is non different from the supreme god. The Bhagvan or OM is the one who used Krishna as a medium to report Gita and hence gita is called Bhagvad Gita and not Krishna Gita.
    If you dont use OM and meditate on illusory forms of rama or krishna you will end up suffering as seen by practical examples of ISKCON where child abuse, pedophilia,politics,murders are rampant.

If you realize Om then you will realize the truth of the vedanta that all forms and names are just illusions or pathways to the real formless supreme truth
    Last edited by ganeshamylord; 18 May 2014 at 09:22 PM.

Thread Information