Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Meditation on Lord Shiva

Re: Meditation on Lord Shiva

Namaste Soul of Light
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul of Light View Post
    Namaste all!
    I wanted to know that in meditation of lord shiva or any other god what should we do?
    If you read Bhagavad gita (http://vedabase.net/bg/en) carefully, slowly and thoroughly you will learn a lot about what it actually means of how to "meditate on God". Here are some typical examples:

"Always think of Me, become My devotee, worship Me and offer your homage unto Me. Thus you will come to Me without fail. I promise you this because you are My very dear friend." (Bhagavad gita 18.65)

Here the Lord says "Always think of Me" which means we should always remember Him. You can remember the form of the Lord in the temple (murti) or on the picture.
    You know, repeating mantra is just one way of how we can meditate on God, but there are other ways also.

"One who knows the transcendental nature of My appearance and activities does not, upon leaving the body, take his birth again in this material world, but attains My eternal abode, O Arjuna." (Bhagavad gita 4.9)

See what Lord Krishna says here. He says that we should know about His transcendental nature, appearance and activities. You can read the Puranas such as Bhagavatam and there a description of Lord Krishna's birth and activities usually called "pastimes" (lilas), and you can remember all this later. It would also mean to "meditate on God".

By performing everyday work and duties we can also "meditate on God":

"One who works in devotion (yoga-yuktaḥ), who is a pure soul, and who controls his mind and senses is dear to everyone, and everyone is dear to him. Though always working, such a man is never entangled." (Bhagavad gita 5.7)

Here it says yoga-yuktaḥ "engaged in devotional service" or engaged in work with a sense of devotion and dedication to God that is called "yoga". This also means to "meditate on God".

mac-cittā mad-gata-prāṇā ... (Bhagavad gita 10.9)

Here the Lord says mat-cittāḥ "their minds fully engaged in Me" and mat-gata-prāṇāḥ "their lives devoted to Me".
    See all this is meditation on God, just we have to learn it in practice.

You know, some people will tell you that to "meditate on God" it is only when you repeat mantra, or when you sit in a yogic position for meditation or something. But Lord Krishna teaches us that meditation is much, much more than that. It's continuous dedication to God with devotion through remembrance, performing work, offering food, etc.
    In fact your whole life can be, see above mat-cittāḥ and mat-gata-prāṇāḥ (Bg 10.9), your continuous dedication to God with devotion (bhakti), and thus continuous meditation on God.
    Read Bhagavad gita thoroughly and you'll learn a lot about what is meditation on God.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by saswathy View Post
    Dear friend ,
    since you quoted -----
    '' Asathoma sathgamaya ,
    Thamasoma jyothirgamaya ,
    Mrithyorma amrithagamaya , ''
    I advised you to chant ' OM '. If sadhana is only a part of ife , if it is meant for the realisation , rather materialisation of some materialistic things , then ' Om' is not suggested by the so called swamijis and babas .
    But to some one , who has burning thirst for the realisation of self , '' Om'' is highly recommended .
    Namaste saswathy ji,
    yes, you are right. I have thirst for my lord shiva and knowledge, it is my exteme goal.
    From my opinion, Mantra is not only the word but itself consist of lots of energy (power). From my personal view, everyone's perception is different, one can feel different energy from mantra, and have a different benefits from it regarding its perception. One can feel devotion, knowledge, power from the same mantra as Amrut ji feels the nutralisation and maybe you feel self realisation from the same mantra i.e. OM.
    Thus, I think I should find out which mantra gives me which energy, and which mantra is made for me!
    Thank You for reply..!
    Pranam!!
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    (Bring me from asat to sat, bring me from darkness (ignorance) to light (knowledge), bring me from death to immortality)
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Question Re: Meditation on Lord Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Amrut View Post
    Namaste,

I know that Siva is connected with OM, still I would not recommend anyone to chant OM. OM will neutralize everything in your mind, be it positive or negative and will directly take meditator to the 4th state, which is above guNa-s. OM represents nirAkAra brahman.

If you have some desires left andare not ready to renounce them mentally, AND if you chant OM, then life will become hell. In meditation, OM will try to uproot that desire, and in practical life, you will try to achieve your dream.

I will not recommend chanting OM to anyone.

Namah Shivay
    Namaste Amrut ji,
    I don't think so I meditate on OM from many days, before 4-5 years when I am very small I meditate on OM, but its not seriously I meditate and I think not more than 1-2 or 3 minutes or less
    but from this year, I have that feeling of nutralization even I don't meditate on om. I feel like I can live without thinking a word in my mind which is difficult for some, I don't feel sorrow, hapiness, anger, greediness or any positive or negative thought, I don't think this affect my studies as I came first in class but it surely affect me and my personality as I don't give a slight of attention towards me, I also can't fully concentrate in my duties...
    It does not difficult for me to conquer this nutralization but my one mind says it is blessings of god that I am does not attach to any feeling, I didn't expect the feeling of nutralization when I started my spiritual path, at that time I thought that god will make all my wishesh true, and one day he'll give me darshan as in movie, but as time pasess and I get knowledge from lord shiva, my every concept, dream get changed, everything get change
    It's just like if you have the most powerful weapon in the world and someone says u never use it..
    Like that I can control my mind, I can control my all feelings and that's why I have the capacity to fullfill my all dream, desires and I can get everything in my life by this boon of god, but this feeling of nutralization says me don't do this and my mind confuse about that one can achieve god by being in gunas, karmas and his devotion? Or one can achieve god by detachment, that nutalization and devotion? Means live in gunas is better or live without any guna is better
    so what do u think what should I do for this feeling,
    Thank you for reply,
    Pranam!!
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    (Bring me from asat to sat, bring me from darkness (ignorance) to light (knowledge), bring me from death to immortality)
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Light Re: Meditation on Lord Shiva

Namaste Brahma jijnasa ji,
    nice Insight, I had read a bhagavat geeta and too believe that one can make his whole life as a meditation,
    we are unable to see planets by naked eyes but by the help of telescope we can easily see them just like in this kaliyug we are living with modern technology and in this time it is so difficult to experience, feel and living with god, at that time meditation (closing eyes, visualizing, concentrating on god and chanting) help us to bring to that supreme realisation, I think it is the purpose of meditation... engross in thoughts of god, dedicating each karma to him and thinking about him while performing karma Indeed its meditation as it also bring us to that experience, knowledge, feeling of god and I think much more from this. I am not successful yet to dedicating my whole karma to him and thinking continuously about him, but hope I'll take this in my life..!
    Thank You for reminding me geeta and explaining the verses..!
    Pranam!!
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Quote Originally Posted by Soul of Light View Post
    Namaste Amrut ji,
    I don't think so I meditate on OM from many days, before 4-5 years when I am very small I meditate on OM, but its not seriously I meditate and I think not more than 1-2 or 3 minutes or less
    but from this year, I have that feeling of nutralization even I don't meditate on om. I feel like I can live without thinking a word in my mind which is difficult for some, I don't feel sorrow, hapiness, anger, greediness or any positive or negative thought, I don't think this affect my studies as I came first in class but it surely affect me and my personality as I don't give a slight of attention towards me, I also can't fully concentrate in my duties...
    It does not difficult for me to conquer this nutralization but my one mind says it is blessings of god that I am does not attach to any feeling, I didn't expect the feeling of nutralization when I started my spiritual path, at that time I thought that god will make all my wishesh true, and one day he'll give me darshan as in movie, but as time pasess and I get knowledge from lord shiva, my every concept, dream get changed, everything get change
    It's just like if you have the most powerful weapon in the world and someone says u never use it..
    Like that I can control my mind, I can control my all feelings and that's why I have the capacity to fullfill my all dream, desires and I can get everything in my life by this boon of god, but this feeling of nutralization says me don't do this and my mind confuse about that one can achieve god by being in gunas, karmas and his devotion? Or one can achieve god by detachment, that nutalization and devotion? Means live in gunas is better or live without any guna is better
    so what do u think what should I do for this feeling,
    Thank you for reply,
    Pranam!!
    Namaste SOL,

This is exactly that I have said to Saswathy. OM will neutralize all your demands. So even if you have opportunity, still you will not be attracted towards it, as OM takes you beyond 3 gunas. Everything is within 3 gunas and to experience anything mind is required. OM takes you beyond mind. If you keep longing for desires, then how can you transcend maya? how can you rise above 3 gunas?

Brother, I have been meditating on OM since 8-9 years. I know what it feels like. I have given ppt (power point presentation) in front of India's well-known prof and scientist and industrialists with 'blank mind'. Most time I stay blank. I do not remember what you say. Even now I simply type. there is no planning in whatever I do. I experience bliss even when I am typing this. I know that this does not interfere with your studies too.

So if you have burning desire for liberation AND no other desire, then OM is ok, infact the best.
    Both Krishna and Shiva associate themselves with OM. One upanishad Mandukya upanishad is dedicated to explaining OM. OM is mentioned in most of the upanishads. OM can control everything. Hence you feel that the power is within you. But it is known that power is poison, hence OM will make you 'neutral', so there is no urge to acquire anything. Om is the only tatva than can effortlessly transcend you beyond maya into the fourth state - turiya.

If you wish to walk in this path, then be ready to renounce everything mentally. Physically you may not need to renounce money, but surely you will have to neutralize any bias, want or wish to have it (if you have any).

Initially you may not feel neither sorrow nor happiness, but after passing through this dull phase, which is like being heated in furnace, you will finally feel calmness, relief, light and a first glimpse of bliss. this internal happiness is very long lasting.

A personal experience

Once when I was doing jogging, suddenly, I felt bliss and peace. My internal state was very peaceful. I did jogging for 25 minutes, no change in this bliss, then I did some physical exercise like dips, ab-exercise, still no change in bliss, then sun began to rise, heat increased, still my calmness, coolness, inner bliss remained in changed. I did pranayam, and then did shirshashan, still no change in bliss. then I realized that there is no need of keeping body fit, and my concern for my own body faded away. After that day, I never did any kind of exercise nor any kind of asana or pranayam. I simply meditated on OM. Everything seemed perfect, all are happy. This was my feeling those days.

From this days, I could not even concentrate on my duties. I never take any initiatives even in my business. Everything flows naturally accordingly to the will of God and according to prarabhdha.

Only if I take initiative or take give undue importance to any person or object, be it father or mother, then my peace and so meditation is disturbed. Else everything remains peaceful, as mind is peaceful.

Mind remains peaceful, as this bliss and peace is born out of vairagya (absence of material thoughts), dispassion. Hence this bliss does not depend upon any external object or person, so there is no question of loosing this happiness when the object is consumed or when a person leaves you. there is no fear of loss of objects or person, as you do not depend upon them.

Still in practical life, you will work as you use to. Gita says to transcend 3 gunas, but in practical life stay in sattva guna (chapte r3). So for practical living, maintian duality, but increase sattva guna by doing acts of sattvik nature. while meditating, be at peace with what is and ... transcend what is

Are you getting it? or are you bored with this long lecture? still some more to come

Less work, less responsibility

Sri Ramakrishna says, when a lady gets pregnant, she is not given too much work, as month of delivery approach, less work is given, after 7 months of pregancy, little work is given. After delivery, no work is given. Her only work is to take care of child. This child is Jnana (GYAna).

So when karma kand comes to an end, God wont keep you on hot seat. You will work, you will study, you will score marks and work and study with whole-heartedly. Still this time there is no inner rush, no violence within ourselves, violence of thoughts. Later on speed of thoughts in meditation and in practical life also decrease.

All this happens by the grace of God.

The duality of mind

One side says I want to do this
    another side says, no, no I do not want.

This happens to me too.

Mind is divided into two - viveki and a viveki. the positive mind will say, not to do and negative will say I want this.

e.g.

I used to watch TV. One day, I was told to stop watching and in that time, do some spiritual activity.

So one part of me says, watch TV, other part say, no dont watch.

this dvanda, dual nature is experienced by me too. God himself will give you good thoughts. Bad thoughts, or thoughts of material nature make you realize that that you still have them within your mind, as you must have dumped them in past or in past lives.

If you goal is moksha nand are ready to leave everything, then you will decide wisely. Often strong / bold decisions are required. Mind should be strong.

If you are willing to go, then go for it, good luck, but if you want bhoga and yoga, then Om is not for you.

All have desires, what is important is to be mentally prepared to renounce them. To apply this renunciation in your life, a certain level of purity is a must, else all plan will back fire and a day will come when you will not like to meditate, your mind will resist sitting in meditation and you will curse me too

This is the reason I ask you again and again - Are you ready?

If you are the end reward is immortality, eternal freedom in this pife while staying in physical body. The bliss and deep peace is unshakable.

OM

Amrut
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Dear SOL ,
    The way you show your intense bhakthi to Shiva is highly intoxicating .But shiva of the trio -- Brahma , Vishnu , Maheswara is different from the paramewshwara, the supreme power .''Om ' pertains to him , though ultimately everything leads to the same. best wishes.

Namaste Amrut ji,
    Thanx for reply, I understand your whole post except this sentences
    If you keep longing for desires, then how can you transcend maya? how can you rise above 3 gunas?
    in this sentences are u telling that if we keep lnging for desires then we can't transcend maya? Or are u asking me how can I transcend maya? sorry but I have confusion so I ask...
    Now about OM and what I want! So I tell you what I want in pm and I think it is better to discuss in pm as it seems fast, as we get shortcut from process of moderation
    Thank You!!
    Regards!
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Thank you so much saswathy ji,
    and I believe
    Quote Originally Posted by saswathy View Post
    ultimately everything leads to the same.
    so god is one and supreme for me and hence lord shiva, lord vishnu, krishna or parameshwar all are one for me and leads to the same!
    Thank you for reply..!
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Dear SOL ,
    With due respects to our friend , I do believe that Meditation on ' OM' is the best and most fruitful sadhana . It helps in either way , that is , when sadhana had had been done, to the photo finish stage in the previous birth , it would give salvation with this birth or if it has been in a process of continuation it would take to a higher level in this birth . But in any case the ultimate goal of attaining Ananda rasa siddhi is met successfully . No sadhana deprives you of all the pleasures to which you are entitled , either here or hereafter .Spiritual sadhana does not mean deprivation of physical needs . It is given by krishna in the celestial song , that Yogi is not the one who abstains from eating or who eats too much , who does not sleep or sleeps too much, and a real yogi is the one who does everything in moderation .Thus it is also a false notion that ' Om ' meditation makes one a sanyasi . I heard one peethadhipathi telling that 'OM' manthra makes one to renunciate everything and that is the reason why it is not given to householders which is an utter baseless statement . ------ best wishes .

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

OM is not recommended for everyone.

I concur. It has become quite in vogue to offer this praṇava¹ as one size fits all ...by people trained and un-trained in this matter. Is it auspicious ? Beyond a doubt. Yet one needs to be clear that the continual repetition is not for the average person - surely not the householder.

But why so ? One is then fragmenting the infinite. This knowledge rarely gets out. One usually starts this practice and cannot continue it for long periods ( we are not talking hours but weeks and months).

yajvan , under whose guidance does this come from ? It comes via svāmī brahmānanda sarasvatī , Śaṅkarācārya of Jyotirmath (from 1941-1953). He was my teacher's teacher.

... do as you see fit.

iti śivaṁ

words
    • This is of interest as we all are aware of praṇava, we all think of Om. In Kasmir Saivism OM is dear and recognized, yet they also see 3 types of pranava.
      • there's vaidika वैदिक praṇava - Om or the Vedic pranava
      • śiva praṇava - hum ( as in the mantra śivo-hum )
      • māyā praṇava - hrīm ( pronounced hreem)
    Last edited by yajvan; 10 July 2014 at 12:33 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information