Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Meditation on Lord Shiva

Re: Meditation on Lord Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by brahma jijnasa View Post
    Namaste

It is said in the Srimad Bhagavatam 12.3.43:
    "O King, in the Age of Kali people’s intelligence will be diverted by atheism, and they will almost never offer sacrifice to the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who is the supreme spiritual master of the universe. Although the great personalities who control the three worlds all bow down to the lotus feet of the Supreme Lord, the petty and miserable human beings of this age will not do so."
    regards

You mean the same Srimad Bhagavatam which also says

tad-upariṣṭāc catasṛṣv āśāsvātma-yoninākhila-jagad-guruṇādhiniveśitā ye dvirada-pataya ṛṣabhaḥ puṣkaracūḍo vāmano ’parājita iti sakala-loka-sthiti-hetavaḥ.
    Translation:
    On the top of Lokāloka Mountain are the four gaja-patis, the best of elephants, which were established in the four directions by Lord Brahmā, the supreme spiritual master of the entire universe. The names of those elephants are Ṛṣabha, Puṣkaracūḍa, Vāmana and Aparājita. They are responsible for maintaining the planetary systems of the universe.??
    So i should also accept that the earth is flat and carried by 4 elephants?
    You were always talking of vedic culture yet you always quote puranas whose authenticity has always been debatable. Why dont i ever see you quote vedas? and if you always stress on puranas please use the term puranic culture and not vedic culture. There is a difference between both. Vedas arenot puranas. Vedas are intelligent,full of awareness and focus on the soul and not the body unlike the puranas which are full of external rules,regulations,and focus on the body and not the soul perpetrating caste system etc
    And the mere fact that you stress on "culture" shows the importance you give to external rituals which is the sole cause for binding to materialism. You give no value to the sadhAna per se but you give importance to the clothes,the color caste creed and varna and who should recite what. Then who is bound by maya? The person who does Om or the person who judges others on basis of rituals?

Gods name is not for the advanced because once a person is advanced he will be out of the duality of names and forms. And even by your logic if Vishnus 1000 names are OM then why do you say that chanting Om is not recommended but chanting the names are??
    Last edited by ganeshamylord; 06 July 2014 at 11:16 AM.

Namaste

In his opening words, just before the start of recitation of the Vishnu sahasra nama in the Mahabharata, (Book 13: Anusasana Parva: Section CXLIX), Bhishma said that 1000 names of Lord Vishnu are identical to mantra Om:
    http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m13/m13b114.htm
    "Hear, O king, the thousand names, possessed of great efficacy in destroying sins, of that foremost one in all the worlds that Master of the universe, viz., Vishnu. All those names derived from His attributes, secret and well-known, of the high-souled Vasudeva which were sung by Rishis, I shall recite to thee for the good of all. They are, Om!"
    Here Bhishma clearly says "They are, Om!" which means that Lord Vishnu's names are identical to mantra Om. We should never think that holy names of the Lord have no spiritual potency.

It is said in the Atharvasiras Upanishad:
    atha kasmād ucyate vaidyutaṃ yasmād uccāryamāṇa evātimahati tamasi sarvaṃ śarīraṃ vidyotayati tasmād ucyate vaidyutam

"He is called “vaidhyutha (electric)” because as soon as his name is pronounced, in the state of darkness where nothing is visible, the holy knowledge comes like a ray of lightning."
    It is said here that as soon as holy name of the Supreme Lord is pronounced it enlightens a person, ie removes the darkness of ignorance like lightning that illuminates the darkness in the night. So it must be that holy name of the Lord is enlightening and represents what is called knowledge or cit.
    In this material world every living creature lives in ignorance of his true spiritual identity as a spiritual soul. This ignorance is compared with darkness. But when uttering the holy name of the Lord darkness of ignorance is removed just as when lightning flashes in the middle of the night it immediately illuminate the whole sky and removes the darkness, or just like at the dawn when the first rays of the sun begin to shine they immediately begin to eliminate the darkness of night and day begins.

Thus by uttering the holy name of the Lord a person removes ignorance and comes to the level of knowledge and self-realization, and finally achieves liberation (mukti).

Lord's names are meant for everyone, both beginners and advanced on the spiritual path. See above, the scriptures say that the holy names are identical to mantra Om, remove the darkness of ignorance, lead a person to the level of knowledge and enlightenment or self-realization, and ultimately lead to the liberation (mukti).

In the opening words, just before the start of recitation of the Vishnu sahasra nama in the Mahabharata, (see above a link to the Mahabharata), Yudhishthira asked Bhishma:
    "What religion is that which, according to thy judgment, is the foremost of all religions? What are those Mantras by reciting which a living creature becomes freed from the bonds of birth and life?"
    Bhishma replied:
    "One should always, with alacrity and throwing away all languor, hymn the praises of that Lord of the universe, that god of gods (viz., Vasudeva), who is Infinite and the foremost of all Beings, by uttering His thousand names. By always worshipping with reverence and devotion that immutable Being, by meditating on him, by hymning His praises and bowing the head unto Him, and by performing sacrifices unto Him, indeed by always praising Vishnu, who is without beginning and without end or destruction, who is the Supreme Lord of all the worlds, and who is the Master and Controller of the universe, one can succeed in transcending all sorrow.
    ... ...

Even this, in my judgment, is the foremost religion of all religions, viz., one should always worship and hymn the praises of the lotus-eyed Vasudeva with devotion. He is the highest Energy. He is the highest Penance. He is the highest Brahma. He is the highest refuge. He is the most holy of all holies, the most auspicious of all auspicious objects. He is the god of all the gods and He is the immutable father of all creatures. On the advent of the primal Yuga, all creatures spring from Him. On the expiration, again of a Yuga, all things disappear in Him. Hear, O king, the thousand names, possessed of great efficacy in destroying sins, of that foremost one in all the worlds that Master of the universe, viz., Vishnu. All those names derived from His attributes, secret and well-known, of the high-souled Vasudeva which were sung by Rishis, I shall recite to thee for the good of all. They are, Om!"

regards

How will you then explain the same bhishma telling the same yuddhishtira one chapter later that the same Vishnu gets His powers due to His devotion to Lord Shiva and that he is incapable to recite the 1000names of Lord Shiva as He is beyond the turiya state?

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m13/m13a014.htm

"Bhishma said, 'I am quite incompetent to recite the virtues of Mahadeva of highest intelligence. He pervades all things in the universe and yet is not seen anywhere. He is the creator of universal self and the Pragna (knowing) self and he is their master. All the deities, from Brahman to
    p. 37
    the Pisachas, adore and worship him. He transcends both Prakriti and Purusha. It is of Him that Rishis, conversant with Yoga and possessing a knowledge of the tattwas, think and reflect. He is indestructible and Supreme Brahman. He is both existent and non-existent. Agitating both Prakriti and Purusha by means of His energy, He created therefrom the universal lord of creatures, viz., Brahma. Who is there that is competent to tell the virtues of that god of gods, that is endued with supreme Intelligence? Man is subject to conception (in the mother's womb), birth, decrepitude, and death. Being such, what man like me is competent to understand Bhava? Only Narayana, O son, that bearer of the discus and the mace, can comprehend Mahadeva. He is without deterioration. He is the foremost of all beings in attributes. He is Vishnu, because of his pervading the universe. He is irresistible. Endued with spiritual vision, He is possessed of supreme Energy. He sees all things with the eye of Yoga. It is in consequence of the devotion of the high-souled Krishna to the illustrious Rudra whom he gratified. O Bharata, in the retreat of Vadari, by penances, that he has succeeded in pervading the entire universe. O king of kings, it is through Maheswara of celestial vision that Vasudeva has obtained the attribute of universal agreeableness,--an agreeableness that is much greater than what is possessed by all articles included under the name of wealth. 1 For a full thousand years this Madhava underwent the austerest penances and at last succeeded in gratifying the illustrious and boon giving Siva, that Master of all the mobile and the immobile universe.

Namaste

Have you ever asked yourself whether there is a reason why he talked about these things, “maidservants” ”demigods”, moons distance farther away from the earth than the suns, etc?
    There must be some reason why he said it. As a representative of a Vaishnava tradition he represented the views and interpretations of previous acaryas and what he learned from the writings.
    In some of my earlier posts here on HDF I've already explained some of these things.

regards
    Namaste
    But isnt an acharya supposed to be perfect? I mean if even an acharya makes gross mistakes,worse silly misakes then what is the whole point in worshipping God with names? If chanting holy names doesnt enlighten a person even after 70 years about basic material knowledge should i expect he has spiritual knowledge?
    And is this what the holy names do? Take a person far away from the actual truth and reality and cloud him in fanaticism and delusion about reality?? And if the holy names you talk of didnt give even material knowledge to a person how do i believe they give spiritual knowledge unless by spiritual knowledge you mean downgrading other sects to establish self made agenda, calling woman inefficient and calling the earth flat? And besides these what other spiritual achievements did that person have?
    I am asking this because if i have to choose a hospital i will go and check the credibility of the head doctor there. If i have to go to a spiritual hospital i will ask for the credibility of a person who calls himself an acharya. Or just because a person comes and tells me he is an acharya should i accept him to be one?
    And whom should i follow? A Tulasidas who was so absorbed in Lord Rama that he knowingly or unknowingly resuscitated a dead man? Who exactly predicted the suns distance from the earth?
    Or a person whose sole achievement was to get some hippies brainwash them into misogynism,anti science and anti societal standards where children were deprived of basic education and worse were abused and taught that they should be grateful to God for reducing their karma by getting abused early in childhood?

Namaste

Quote Originally Posted by ganeshamylord
    You mean the same Srimad Bhagavatam which also says

tad-upariṣṭāc catasṛṣv āśāsvātma-yoninākhila-jagad-guruṇādhiniveśitā ye dvirada-pataya ṛṣabhaḥ puṣkaracūḍo vāmano ’parājita iti sakala-loka-sthiti-hetavaḥ.

Translation:
    On the top of Lokāloka Mountain are the four gaja-patis, the best of elephants, which were established in the four directions by Lord Brahmā, the supreme spiritual master of the entire universe. The names of those elephants are Ṛṣabha, Puṣkaracūḍa, Vāmana and Aparājita. They are responsible for maintaining the planetary systems of the universe.

??

So i should also accept that the earth is flat and carried by 4 elephants?
    Puranas say what they say. It's your choice what you're going to accept and what you will not accept.

You were always talking of vedic culture yet you always quote puranas whose authenticity has always been debatable. Why dont i ever see you quote vedas?
    When I learned about Hindu dharma I learned from vaishnavas and especially from Gaudiya vaishnavas. They have had a custom to quote a lot from the Puranic scriptures but also from the Shruti scriptures -- Vedas. They believe that these Puranas are also authentic source of Vedic knowledge, and they give great importance exactly to the Puranic literature. When I quote the scriptures I usually quote what I see were quoted by various Vaishnava authors.

and if you always stress on puranas please use the term puranic culture and not vedic culture. There is a difference between both. Vedas are not puranas.
    It is said in the Chandogya Upanishad 7.1.2 that Puranas and Itihasas are fifth Veda:
    http://www.swamij.com/upanishad-chandogya.htm

Narada said: "Venerable Sir, I know the Rig--Veda, the Yajur--Veda, the Sama--Veda, the Atharva--Veda as the fourth Veda, the epics (Puranas) and ancient lore (Itihasa) as the fifth"

While it is true that Puranas and Itihasas are not Shruti, yet the fact is that in this verse they are called "fifth Veda" which means that they can also be called Vedic scriptures.
    In fact we have an example of one of the Vaishnava teachers, it was Madhvacarya (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madhvacarya#Madhva), who had a habit all these scriptures such as Puranas, Itihasas, Pancaratras, etc, to call by the name "Vedic scriptures".

And the mere fact that you stress on "culture" shows the importance you give to external rituals which is the sole cause for binding to materialism. You give no value to the sadhAna per se but you give importance to the clothes,the color caste creed and varna and who should recite what. Then who is bound by maya? The person who does Om or the person who judges others on basis of rituals?
    ... And even by your logic if Vishnus 1000 names are OM then why do you say that chanting Om is not recommended but chanting the names are??
    My intention is not to judge anyone here. These things about varnas, etc, were mentioned in both Shruti and Smriti scriptures.
    Restrictions that were set in the scriptures as to who may or may not do something is not invented by me but these are statements of the scriptures, and is recognized by the tradition also.
    The scriptures say that some people are Shudras by varna, and scriptures say that they are not allowed to study the Vedas, chant Om, etc. Also scriptures say that all men and even Shudras may pronounce holy Names of the Lord, so there are no restrictions in this regard.

Gods name is not for the advanced because once a person is advanced he will be out of the duality of names and forms.
    Vaishnavas disagree with this view.

In the philosophy of Shankara's Advaita they will tell you that the duality present in names and forms is on the level of illusion (maya). Shankara taught that in the state of liberation (mukti) there is no duality but only absolute unity. For Shankara any sense of duality is merely a state of illusion (maya) that should be transcended when a person becomes spiritually advanced. Thus for Shankara the worship of the Lord with the holy names of God or worship of Lord's forms, eg form of God at the altar in the temple (murti), is just a sort of help to the devotee to make advancement in the spiritual life, but for him it is still a duality of names and forms, and therefore it is on the level of illusion, and at the end it should be discarded when a person is advanced and fully established in the Self (atma, Brahman).

But the Vaishnava philosophy, however, is different and does not agree with the views of Shankara's Advaita.
    For Vaishnavas existence of duality that we see in this material world is illusory only in the sense if we, living beings, understand ourselves as this material body that we have, without knowing that actually we are not this body, but only a spiritual soul that dwells in the body. Thus, for Vaishnavas illusion (maya) is only identification of our self, jiva or jiva-atma (jivatma), with the material body, identification of our self with everything that we represent in this material life, etc. Only this is an illusion (maya). For Vaishnavas duality of this world itself is not an illusion!
    Not only that but moreover for Vaishnavas even in the state of liberation (mukti) there is also a kind of duality that exists along with some kind of unity. In fact this is sometimes called "duality in unity" because in the state of liberation (mukti) there is no absolute unity that would exclude any kind of duality!
    For Vaishnavas duality that exists in the state of liberation (mukti) by itself is not an illusion, but this "duality in unity" is the ultimate reality!!! Yes, exactly.

So, for Vaishnavas dedication to the Lord with bhakti when practiced as chanting the Lord's holy names or worship of God's form at the altar in the temple (murti) does not represent something that is intended only for beginners but is also intended for those who are at the highest level of spiritual advancement, so it should not be discarded when a person is advanced because it is not supposedly an illusion (maya) but is ultimate reality!!!
    And finally shall we say, dedication to the Lord with bhakti with a sense of duality continues in the ultimate state of liberation (mukti) in the personal residence of the Lord, namely the eternal world of Vaikuntha, which is the highest possible achievement for the soul.

How will you then explain the same bhishma telling the same yuddhishtira one chapter later that the same Vishnu gets His powers due to His devotion to Lord Shiva and that he is incapable to recite the 1000names of Lord Shiva as He is beyond the turiya state?

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m13/m13a014.htm

"Bhishma said, 'I am quite incompetent to recite the virtues of Mahadeva of highest intelligence. He pervades all things in the universe and yet is not seen anywhere. He is the creator of universal self and the Pragna (knowing) self and he is their master. All the deities, from Brahman to
    p. 37
    the Pisachas, adore and worship him. He transcends both Prakriti and Purusha. It is of Him that Rishis, conversant with Yoga and possessing a knowledge of the tattwas, think and reflect. He is indestructible and Supreme Brahman. He is both existent and non-existent. Agitating both Prakriti and Purusha by means of His energy, He created therefrom the universal lord of creatures, viz., Brahma. Who is there that is competent to tell the virtues of that god of gods, that is endued with supreme Intelligence? Man is subject to conception (in the mother's womb), birth, decrepitude, and death. Being such, what man like me is competent to understand Bhava? Only Narayana, O son, that bearer of the discus and the mace, can comprehend Mahadeva. He is without deterioration. He is the foremost of all beings in attributes. He is Vishnu, because of his pervading the universe. He is irresistible. Endued with spiritual vision, He is possessed of supreme Energy. He sees all things with the eye of Yoga. It is in consequence of the devotion of the high-souled Krishna to the illustrious Rudra whom he gratified. O Bharata, in the retreat of Vadari, by penances, that he has succeeded in pervading the entire universe. O king of kings, it is through Maheswara of celestial vision that Vasudeva has obtained the attribute of universal agreeableness,--an agreeableness that is much greater than what is possessed by all articles included under the name of wealth. 1 For a full thousand years this Madhava underwent the austerest penances and at last succeeded in gratifying the illustrious and boon giving Siva, that Master of all the mobile and the immobile universe.
    How to explain the statements in the scriptures that Lord Vishnu gets His powers due to His devotion to Lord Shiva?
    It is indeed a good question.
    Usually when we read descriptions of Lord Vishnu (Krishna) in the scriptures we see that He is described in the superlatives, as the highest, most powerful, the one on which the whole world rests, the creator and maintainer and the destroyer of the world, the Supreme Lord or Supreme Person, Supreme God, Supreme Brahman, etc.
    Then, the question arises why is it that sometimes he is described as some kind of inferior God?
    There are several possible answers to this question:

1) Sometimes the scriptures used an expression that does not have a primary meaning, but should be seen as a figure of speech.

2) Another possibility is that it describes the Lord's pastimes, so-called lilas.
    In the above passage from the Mahabharata for which you gave a link we read that Lord Krishna received a boon from Lord Shiva. See Footnotes:

"37:2 The allusion is to Krishna's penances for gratifying Mahadeva in order to obtain a son. The son so obtained,--that is, as a boon from Mahadeva, was Pradyumna begotten by Krishna upon Rukmini, his favourite spouse."

Does Lord Krishna (Vishnu) need a boon from anyone? Does He need to perform some austerities to achieve something?
    As if Lord Krishna does not have the power to achieve or get something on his own but he must perform austerities in order to please Lord Shiva and so get a boon from him?!
    I think that anyone who is open minded person and who has read the Bhagavad gita, Mahabharata, Ramayana, Puranas and even Upanishads can easily understand that Lord Krishna is independent and all-powerful God who does not depend on anyone.

So this so-called "boon from Lord Shiva" and so-called Lord Krishna's "penances for gratifying Mahadeva in order to obtain a son" were either pastimes (lilas) or were 3), see the following:

3) Sometimes scriptures have content which is qualified as sattvic, rajasic and tamasic.

Sattva is the highest quality of nature, it is the quality of purity or goodness. The scriptures that are imbued with this quality of nature contain Vedic knowledge in its purest form.

But there are also the doctrines or teachings, or contents in the scriptures that are imbued with the lower qualities of nature, rajas (passion) and tamas (darkness, ignorance), which do not contain Vedic knowledge in its purest form but are mixed with some teachings that are not correct or are not truth or do not lead to liberation (mukti).

It is said that contents in the scriptures that describe the god Shiva may contain doctrines that are tamasic in nature. Thus for example it is interesting to note that in those passages in the scriptures where Lord Shiva is predominantly described sometimes there is a description of Lord Vishnu as some kind of inferior God, as we have here in this Mahabharata chapter. Lord Vishnu is definitely not inferior god and therefore the description of him as inferior god who got his powers from God Shiva should be rejected as false or tamasic doctrine. This is the point!

Also it is said that contents in the scriptures that describe the god Vishnu are sattvic in nature. This, however, does not mean that wherever Lord Vishnu is described in the scriptures it is sattvic content, and wherever Lord Shiva is described in the scriptures it is tamasic content because it may happen that within one scripture we have mixed content sattvic and tamasic.
    Thus there is a division of the Puranas on the sattvic, rajasic, and tamasic ones.

But isnt an acharya supposed to be perfect?
    As I said, some of the statements aforementioned acarya made I've already commented here on HDF. Look for some of old threads about it.
    He did not support misogyny, anti science, etc.
    If he called earth flat, the moons distance farther away from the earth than the suns, ... etc, he said that because the scriptures say so or because it is so explained in the tradition he belonged to.

I am asking this because if i have to choose a hospital i will go and check the credibility of the head doctor there. If i have to go to a spiritual hospital i will ask for the credibility of a person who calls himself an acharya. Or just because a person comes and tells me he is an acharya should i accept him to be one?

And whom should i follow? A Tulasidas who was so absorbed in Lord Rama that he knowingly or unknowingly resuscitated a dead man? Who exactly predicted the suns distance from the earth?
    Today's scientists, who may even be atheists, also have the ability to calculate the distances between the earth, moon and stars but that does not make them acaryas. Doesn't it?
    An acarya is not supposed to be someone who has materialistic knowledge but someone who is a soul surrendered to God, and who can take you to God.

Whom should we follow?
    We should follow the acarya who belongs to a tradition that interprets the scriptures consistently with what these scriptures are saying, acarya who is repeating scriptural statements as they are, who is a soul surrendered to God, we should follow the acarya who follows the foremost of all religions:

Yudhishthira asked Bhishma just before the start of recitation of the Vishnu sahasra nama in the Mahabharata:

"What religion is that which, according to thy judgment, is the foremost of all religions? What are those Mantras by reciting which a living creature becomes freed from the bonds of birth and life?"

Bhishma replied:
    "One should always, with alacrity and throwing away all languor, hymn the praises of that Lord of the universe, that god of gods (viz., Vasudeva), who is Infinite and the foremost of all Beings, by uttering His thousand names. By always worshipping with reverence and devotion that immutable Being, by meditating on him, by hymning His praises and bowing the head unto Him, and by performing sacrifices unto Him, indeed by always praising Vishnu, who is without beginning and without end or destruction, who is the Supreme Lord of all the worlds, and who is the Master and Controller of the universe, one can succeed in transcending all sorrow.
    ... ...

Even this, in my judgment, is the foremost religion of all religions, viz., one should always worship and hymn the praises of the lotus-eyed Vasudeva with devotion. He is the highest Energy. He is the highest Penance. He is the highest Brahma. He is the highest refuge. He is the most holy of all holies, the most auspicious of all auspicious objects. He is the god of all the gods and He is the immutable father of all creatures. On the advent of the primal Yuga, all creatures spring from Him. On the expiration, again of a Yuga, all things disappear in Him. Hear, O king, the thousand names, possessed of great efficacy in destroying sins, of that foremost one in all the worlds that Master of the universe, viz., Vishnu. All those names derived from His attributes, secret and well-known, of the high-souled Vasudeva which were sung by Rishis, I shall recite to thee for the good of all. They are, Om!"

regards

Dear friends,
    It is Vishnu , that is the supreme power according to vaishnavaits . It is Shiva according to shaivaits and Rajarajeswri , Lalitha ,paramathmica according to SHaktheyas . It is Ganapathy according to Ganapathyas . as the supreme power .Thus the devotees of a particular deity see that particular deity as the supreme . The Absolute Reality is known as Brahman does not have name , attributes , shape , form likes , dislikes nothing . So where is the question of a particular manthra , upasana , offerings , boons , curses . all the worship of Gods with forms is sagunapasana and is meant for kamyas , that is for wish fulfilment , whether accepted or not , or whether known or unknown.It is a different point altogether that worship , even for a purpose also takes to Parabrahman one day .In the meanwhile all theories and statements given by all hold good to a certain point only whether it is Bheeshma or Rama or Krishna or Ramakrishna , who ever it is . They are all beings like us with different virtues , capabilities , thapas and attainments.Many stories are woven around them to create respect , reverence , awe authenticity of which is subject to yugadharma .

Namaste Brahmajignasa

1) Sometimes the scriptures used an expression that does not have a primary meaning, but should be seen as a figure of speech.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ___________________
    Yes exactly but that applies when shiva worships Vishnu too or for that matter when any form of Brahman worships Himself

2)Does Lord Krishna (Vishnu) need a boon from anyone? Does He need to perform some austerities to achieve something?
    As if Lord Krishna does not have the power to achieve or get something on his own but he must perform austerities in order to please Lord Shiva and so get a boon from him?!
    I think that anyone who is open minded person and who has read the Bhagavad gita, Mahabharata, Ramayana, Puranas and even Upanishads can easily understand that Lord Krishna is independent and all-powerful God who does not depend on anyone.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________
    I dont think there is any original Upanishad that calls Krishna as supreme. Also Bhagvad Gita is not Krishna Gita. And regarding who that Bhagavan is Krishna Himself says “He is Vishnu,Shankara etc” So Krishna was speaking of the Brahman in His self and not the cowherd Krishna that you speak of.
    And please read Mahabharata where Krishna says in His previous incarnation He worshipped Lord Shiva for a million years.
    Also prior to the creation He worshipped Shiva to get the sudarshana chakra.
    Vasudeva, once more said,--Mahadeva. Gratified with me, O Yudhishthira, the illustrious Deity said unto me,--Thou shalt, O Krishna, through my grace, become dearer to all persons than wealth which is coveted by all. Thou shalt be invincible in battle. Thy energy shall be equal to that of Fire. Thousands of other boons Mahadeva gave unto me on that occasion. In a former incarnation I adored Mahadeva on the Manimantha mountain for millions of years. Gratified with me, the illustrious Deity said unto me these words:--Blessed be thou, do thou solicit boons as thou wishest. Bowing unto him with a bend of my head, I said these words,--If the puissant Mahadeva has been gratified with me, then let my devotion to him be unchanged, O Isana! Even this is the boon that I solicit.--The great God said unto me,--Be it so

Mahabharata
    Rudra Bhakthya Thu Krishnena Jagat Vyaptham Mahathmana,
    Tham Prasadhya Thadha Devam Bhadaryam Kila Bharatha.
    Arthath Priya Harathwam Cha Sarva Lokeshu Vai Yadhaa,
    Prapthavaaneva Rajendra Suvarnaakshan Maheswaraath.
    Meaning:
    The Great Lord Krishna, due to His devotion to the Supreme Lord Rudra,has Spread All Over The Universe, Oh Bharatha, Lord Shiva pleased by His penance in Badri granted Him the boon due to which He has Attained The State Of Being More Dear,Than All The Worlds And All Aspects Of Knowledge.

Yuge Yuge Thu Krushnena Thoshitho Vai Maheswara,
    Bhakthya Paramaya Chaiva Prathi Sruthwa Mahatmana.
    Meaning :
    Lord Maheshwara becomes pleased and happy Yugas After Yugas, By this Krishna who is THE SUPREME DEVOTEE Of Lord Shiva which is accepted by mahatmas.

So Krishna worships Shiva in all yugas in all His incarnations and not just for begetting a child. Am sure you do know that the sudarshana chakra was granted to Him by Shiva. and it doesnt mean He is inferior. Just indicates that the Brahman worships His own self
    and so should we.

3) But there are also the doctrines or teachings, or contents in the scriptures that are imbued with the lower qualities of nature, rajas (passion) and tamas (darkness, ignorance), which do not contain Vedic knowledge in its purest form but are mixed with some teachings that are not correct or are not truth or do not lead to liberation (mukti).
    It is said that contents in the scriptures that describe the god Shiva may contain doctrines that are tamasic in nature. Thus for example it is interesting to note that in those passages in the scriptures where Lord Shiva is predominantly described sometimes there is a description of Lord Vishnu as some kind of inferior God, as we have here in this Mahabharata chapter. Lord Vishnu is definitely not inferior god and therefore the description of him as inferior god who got his powers from God Shiva should be rejected as false or tamasic doctrine. This is the point!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________
    Haha you play this card very well but am sorry to burst your bubble but tamasic rajasic sattvic divisions are applicable to puranas and not itihasas like Mahabharata. But since you are a gaudiya vaishnava that is totally expected from you as this is nothing in front of the grosser concocted versions that have come from that tradition. Either way Krishna Himself talks of who worships Shiva.

"Vasudeva said 'Those sinful men with unrighteous deeds, do not succeed in attaining Isana. Their dispositions being stained by the attributes of Rajas and Tamas, they can never approach the Supreme Deity. It is only those regenerate persons who are of cleansed souls that succeed in attaining to the Supreme Deity"
    So your statement that Shiva worship is sattva and tamasic is ignorant at its best. And am sure your gaudiya tradition is not greater than Krishna Himself and i dont think it is in a position to categorize Lord Shiva or for that matter any form of Brahman.

P.S And puranas are not tamasic rajasic or sattvic but they are written for people with those tendencies and to elevate them from those tendencies.

4)He did not support misogyny, anti science, etc.
    If he called earth flat, the moons distance farther away from the earth than the suns, ... etc, he said that because the scriptures say so or because it is so explained in the tradition he belonged to.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________
    He did and you will obviously believe what you deem is convenient for you but the truth goes the otherway round. Please google and find out if at all truth is what you want.

5)Today's scientists, who may even be atheists, also have the ability to calculate the distances between the earth, moon and stars but that does not make them acaryas. Doesn't it?
    An acarya is not supposed to be someone who has materialistic knowledge but someone who is a soul surrendered to God, and who can take you to God.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    Yeah but a scientist who is an atheist who teaches me about Truth is always better than a wolf in a sheeps skin that teaches me to go with blind faith and believe that the earth is flat. And whether a person is surrendered to God or not is shown by his actions and im sure stressing on child marriage ,racism,prohibiting female education are not one of them.

6)Whom should we follow?
    Bhishma replied:

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well in Bhishmas judgement he was incapable of knowing Shiva thats why he didnot name Shiva and stuck with Vishnu as that was the maximum his intelligence could take him to."Bhishma said, 'I am quite incompetent to recite the virtues of Mahadeva of highest intelligence. He pervades all things in the universe and yet is not seen anywhere. He is the creator of universal self and the Pragna (knowing) self and he is their master. He transcends both Prakriti and Purusha. He is indestructible and Supreme Brahman. Who is there that is competent to tell the virtues of that god of gods, that is endued with supreme Intelligence? Man is subject to conception (in the mother's womb), birth, decrepitude, and death. Being such, what man like me is competent to understand Bhava?
    P.S Brahma is hiranyagarbha or mahattattva AA of AUM Vishnu is ishwara UU OF AUMand shiva is the ParaBrahman MMM OF AUM the turiya state.

Moreover Krishna Himself says Shiva sahasranama is the highest and i think i will take the word of Krishna and not bhishma if you give me a choice. Also here is the list of all the sages who consider Shiva as the supreme and i think KAPILA PARASHURAMA Agastya dadhichi valimki bhrigu tandi upamanyu vyasa yajnavalkya gautama atri etc are better than bhishma if you seek comparison
    http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m13/m13a018.htm
    Last edited by ganeshamylord; 06 July 2014 at 10:13 PM.

Why thrs a tendency of a certain organisation to always impose their God as superior to other Gods??.To my modest knowledge(and i'm not a Vedic priest or a scholar)its mentioned in the scriptures that none of the Trimurthis are superior to one another and they all are the same ParamBrahman's differnt attributes.
    Ok so heres something for you guys to read .
    Lord Vishnu explains the magnificence Lord Shiva to Lord Brahma:

Asmaan Mahattaram Bhutam Guhyama –nnyatra Vidyatey,
    Mahatah Paramam Dhaama Shivamadhyaatminaam Param/
    Dwividhamchaiva maatmaanam pravibhajya vyaksthitah,
    Nishkalatra yoga vyaktah Sakalascha Maheswarah/
    Yasya Mayaavidhijnasya Agamyagahanasyacha,
    Puraa - prathamamlingodbhavam beejam twaadisargikam/
    Mama yonow samaayutam tadbeejam kaalaparyayat,
    Hiranmayakupaarey yonyaamandamajaayata/
    Shataani dasavarshaanaamangmapsu pratishthitam,
    Antey Varsha sahasrasya Vaayunaa tadhvidha krutam/
    Kapaalamekam dyourjajney kapaalamaparam kshitih,
    Ulbam tasya mahotsedho yosou Kanaka Parvatah/
    Tatascha pratisandhyaatmaa Deva Devo Varah Prabhuh,
    Hiranya garbho Bhagavanstwabhijajney Chaturmukhaha/
    (There is no better Entity than Parama Shiva and there is no matter superior than His. The
    Parama Maha Tatwa is Shiva and the embodiment of Atma Jnaana which again is
    Paramdhaama. He is divided into two parts: one as the Nishkala-Avyakta-Adyanta Rahita
    and another is Sakala and Saguna Swarupa responsible for yielding Hiranya Brahmanda
    which floated in Maha Samudra for thousands of years and with the interaction of Vayu
    got broken to two pieces, the Upper Half being the Upper Lokas and the Lower Half as
    Prithvi with Hiranya Garbha Chaturmkukha inside.) Vishnu further described that
    Parameswara created Sunya Akaasha, Nakshatras, Surya, Chandra, Agni, Pancha Bhutas,
    Trigunas, Pranava, and so on. Such is the Glory of Shiva who is Veda Stuti Yogya! Thus
    Vishnu explained the Parama Tatwa of Mahesha, Brahma was astonished, humbled and
    overcome by involuntary emotions of devotion and joined Vishnu Deva in a his
    Commendation addressed to Maha Deva.
    Namastubhyam Bhagavatey Suvrataananta tejasey/
    Namah Kshetraadhi patey Beejiney Shuliney Namah,
    Sumendrayaachaarya mendraaya Dandiney Ruksharetasey/
    Namo Jyeshthaaya Sreshthaaya Purvaaya Pramathaayacha,
    Namo Maanyaaya Pujyaaya Sadyojaataaya vai Namah/
    Gahwaraaya Ghateshaaya Vyomacheeraambaraaya cha,
    Namastey Hyasmadaadeenaam Bhutaanaam Prabhavey Namah/
    Vedaanaam Prabhavey chaiva Smruteenaam Prabhavey Namah,
    Namo Dhruva nibaddhaanaamrusheenaam Prabhavey Namah/
    Prabhavey Karmadaanaanaam dravyaanaam prabhavey namah,
    Namo yogasya prabhavey Saamkhyasya prabhavey namah/
    Rukshaanaam prabhavey tubhyam grahaanaamprabhavey namah,
    Vaidyutaashaani meghaanaam garjita prabhavey namah/
    Mahodadheenaam prabhavey Dwipaanaam prabhavey namah,
    Adreenaam prabhavey chaiva Varshaanaam Prabhavey namah/
    Namo Nadeenaam prabhavey Nadaanaam prabhavey namah,
    Mahoushadheenaam prabhavey Vrukshaanaamprabhavey namah/
    Dharma Vrikshaaya Dharmaaya sthitinaam prabhavey namah,
    Prabhavecha Paraadhasya parasya prabhavey namah/
    Namo rasaanaamprabhavey stanaanaam prabhavey namah,
    Kshanaanaam prabhavey chaiva Lavaanaam prabhavey namah/
    Ahoraatraardha maasaanaam Maasaanaam prabhavey namah,
    Rutunaam prabhavey tubhyam samkhyaayaah prabhavey namah/
    Prabhavey paraardhasya Paraartha prabhavey namah,
    Namah Puraana prabhavey sargaanaam prabhavey namah/
    Manvantaraanaam prabhavey Yogasya prabhavey namah,
    Chaturvidhasya sargasya prabhaveynanta chakshusey/
    Kalpodaya nibandhaanaam Vaataanaam prabhavey namah,
    Namo Vishwasya prabhavey Brahmaadhipataye namah/
    Vidyaanaam prabhavey chaiva Vidyaadhipataye namah,
    Namo Vrataadhi pataye Vrataanaam prabhavey namah/
    Mantraanaam prabhavey tubhyam Mantraadhi pataye namah,
    Pitrunaam pataye chaiva Pashunaam pataye namah/
    Vagvrushaaa namastubhyam Puraana Vrishabhaaya cha,
    Namah pashunaampataye Govrushendra dhwajaaya cha/
    Prajaa -pateenaam pataye Siddhinaam Purushey namah,
    Daityadaanava sandhaanaam rakshasaam pataye namah/
    Gandhravaanaam cha pataye Yakshaanaam pataye namah,
    Garudoraga sarpaanaam pakshinaampataye namah/
    Sarva guhya Pishachaanaam Guhyaadhipataye namah,
    Gokarnaayacha goptrey cha Shankhu karnaaya vai namah/
    Varaahaaya prameyaaya Ruksha virajaaya cha,
    Namo Suraanaam pataye Ganaanaampataye namah/
    Ambhasaam pataye chaiva Ojasaam pataye namaha,
    Namostu Lakshmi pataye Shripaaya Kshiti paayacha/
    Balaabala samuhaaya Akshobhyakshobanaayacha,
    Deepta shringaika shringaaya Vrishabhaaya kakuthiney/
    Namah Sthairyaaya Vapushey tejasaanuvrataayacha,
    Ateetaaya bhavishyaaya Vartamaanaaya vai namah/
    Suvarchase cha Veeryaaya Shuraaya hyajitaaya cha,
    Varadaaya Varenyaaya Purushaaya Mahaatmaney/
    Namo Bhutaaya Bhavyaaya Mahatey prabhavaayacha,
    Janaaa cha namastubhyam tapasey Varadaayacha/
    Anavey Mahatey chaiva Namah Sarvagataayacha,
    Namo Bandhaaya Mokshaaya Swargaaya Narakaayacha/
    Namo Bhavaaya Devaaya Ijjyaaya Yaajakaayacha,
    Pratyudeernaaya Deepataaya Tatwaayaatigunaayacha/
    Namah Paashaaya Shastraaya Namastwaabharanaayacha,
    Hutaaya Upahutaaya Prahutapraashitaaya cha/
    Namostwashtaaya Purtaayua Agnishtoma dwijaayacha,
    Sadasyaaya Namas chaiva Dakshinaavabhruyaayacha/
    Ahimsaayaa pralo –bhaaya Pashu mantroushadhaaya cha,
    Namah Pushtipradaanaaya Susheelaaya Susheeliney/
    Ateetyaaya Bhavishyaaya Vartamaanaayatey namah,
    Suvarchasecha Veeryaaya Shuraaya hyjitaayacha/
    Varadaaya Varenyaaya Purushaaya Mahaatmaney,
    Namo Bhutaaya Bhavyuaaya Mahatey chaabhayaayacha/
    Jaraasiddha Namastubhyamayasey Varadaayacha,
    Adharey Mahatey chaiva Namah Sastu pataayacha/
    Namahschandriya patraanaam lelihaanaaya stragviney,
    Vishwaaya Vishwarupaaya Vishwatahj shirasey namah/
    Sarvatah paani paadaaya Rudraayaa pratimaayacha,
    Namo Havyaaya Kavyaaya Havya vaahaaya vai namah/
    Namah Siddhaaya Medhyaaya Ishtaayejyaa paraayacha,
    Suveeraaya Sughoraaya Akshobhya kshobhanaayacha/
    Suprajaaya Sumedhaaya Deeptaaya Bhaskaraayacha,
    Namo Buddhaaya Shuddhhaaya Vistrutaaya mataayacha/
    Namah Sthulaaya Sukshmaaya Drushyaa –drushya Sarvashah,
    Varshatey jwalatey chaiva Vaayavey shishiraaya cha/
    Namastey akra keshaaya Uruh Vakshahshikhaaya cha/
    Namo Namah Suvarnaaya Tapaneeya nibhaayacha/
    Virupaakshaaya Lingaaya Pingalaaya Mahoujasey,
    Vrishtighnaaya Namas chaiva Namah Sowmyekshanaaya cha/
    Namo Dhumraaya Swetaaya Krishnaaya Lohitaayacha,
    Pishitaaya pishangaaya peetaaya cha Nishanginey/
    Namstey Sarva Seshaaya Nirvimsheshaaya vai Namah,
    Namah Eejyaaya Pujyaaya Upajeevyaayanamah/
    Namah Kshemyaaya Vriddhaaya Vatsalaaya namo namah,
    Namo Bhutaaya Satyaaya Satyaasatyaaya vai namah/
    Namo vai Padma varnaaya Mrityughnaaya cha Mrityavey,
    Namo Gauraaya Shyaamaaya Kadravey Lohitaayacha/
    Mahaasandhyaabhra varnaaya Chaaru deeptaaya deekshiney,
    Namah Kamala hastaaya digvaasaaya Kapardiney/
    Apramaanaaya Sarvaaya Avyayaayamaraaya cha,
    Namo Rupaaya Gandhaaya Shashvataayaakshataayacha/
    Purastaad Brahmatey chaiva Vibhraantaaya krutaaya cha,
    Duragmaaya Meheshaaya Krodhaaya Kapilaaya cha/
    Tatkryaatarkya shareeraaya baliney ramhasaayacha,
    Sikatyaaya Pravaahyaaya shitaaya prasru chaayacha/
    Sumedhasey kulaalaaya Namastey shashi khandiney,
    Chitraaya Chitra veshaaya Chitra varnaaya medhasey/
    Chekitaanaaya tushtaaya Namastey nihitaaya cha,
    Namah Kshaantaaya Daantaaya Vajrasimhananaayacha/
    Rakshoghnaaya Vishaghnaaya Shitikanthordhwa manyavey,
    Lolihaaya krutaantaaya tigmaayudha dharaayacha/
    Pramodaaya Sammodaaya yati vedyaaya teynamah,
    Anaamayaaya Sarvaaya Maha kaalaaya vai namah/
    Pranavapranaveshaaya Bhaganetraantakaayacha,
    Mriga Vyaadhaaya Dakshaaya Daksha yagnaantakaayacha/
    Sarva Bhutaatmabhutaaya Sarvey shaantishayaaya cha,
    Puraghnaaya Sushastraaya dhanvinetha parashvadhey/
    Pusha danta vinaashaaya Bhaga netraantatakaayacha,
    Kaamadaaya Varishthaaya Kaamaanga dahanaayacha/
    Rangey Karaala Vakitraaya Nagendra vadanaaya cha,
    Daityaanaamanta keshaaya Daityaankrada karaayacha/
    Himaghmnaaya cha teekshnaaya ardracharma dharaayacha,
    Smashaana rati nityaaya namostulmukadhaariney/
    Namastey praana paalaaya Munjamaalaadharaaya cha/
    Graheena shokairvividhair bhutaih parivritaayacha/
    Naranaari shariraaya Devyaah Priya karaaya cha,
    Jatiney Mundiney chaiva Vyala Yajnopaveetiney/
    Namostu Nrityasheelaaya Upanritya priyaayacha,
    ManyaveyGeeta sheelaaya Munibhirgaayatey namah/
    Katankataaya tigmaaya Agnipriyaaya Priyaya cha,
    Vibhishanaaya Bhishmaaya Bhaga Pramathanaaya cha/
    Siddhasanghaanu geetaaya Mahaabhaagaaya vai Namah,
    Namo Muktaattahaasaaya Kshveditaasphotitaaya cha/
    Nardatey kurdatey chaiva Namah Prasuditaatmaney,
    Namo Mridaaya shvasatey Dhaavateydhisthitey Namah/
    Dyaayatey Jrumbhatey chaiva rudatey dravateynamah,
    Valgatey keedatey chava lambodara shaririney/
    Namokrutyaaya krutyaaya Mundaaya keekataaya cha,
    Nama Unmattha dehaaya kinkinikaaya vai namah/
    Namo Vikruta veshaaya kruraayamarshinaayacha,
    Aprameyaaya goptrey cha deeptaayaa nirgunaayacha/
    Vaama priyaya Vaamaaya Chudaamani dharaayacha,
    Namastokaaya tanavey gunairapra- mitaaya cha/
    Namo Gunyaaya Guhyaaya Agamyagamanaayacha,
    Loka dhaatri twiyam Bhumih Paadou Sajjana sevitou/
    Sarveshaam Siddha yogaanaamadhishtaanam tavodaram,
    Madhyantariksham vistreenam Taaraagana vibhushitam/
    Swaateh patha ivaabhaati Shrimaan haarastavorasi,
    Dishou Dashabhujaastubhyam Keyuraangada bhushitaah/
    Visteernaparinaahascha Nilaanjanachayopamah,
    Kanthastey Shobhatey Shriman Hema sutra vibhushitah/
    Damshtaakaraalam Dhurdharshamanoupamyam mukham tathaa,
    Padma maalaa krutoshneesham Shiro dyouh shobhatedhikam/
    Deeptih Surye Vapushchandre sthairyam Shailanileybalam,
    Aoushnamagnou tathaa shaityamapsu shabdombarey tathaa/
    Aksharaantara nishpandaadrunaaneytaan vidurbudhaah,
    Japo japyo Maha Devo Maha Yogo Maheswarah/
    Pureshaayo Guhaavaasi khecharo rajaneecharah,
    Taponidhirguha gurur -nadano Nanda vardhanah/
    Haya seersho payodhaataa Vidhaataa Bhurabhavanah,
    Bodyavyo bodhitaa Netaa Dhurdharsho Dushprakampanah/
    Bruhadhratho Bheemakarma Bruhadkirti Dhananjayah,
    Ghantaapriyo Dhwaji Chhatri Pinaakini Dhwajanipatih/
    Kavachi pattishi khadgi dhanurhastah Paramashvadhi,
    Aghasmaronaghah Shuro Devarajotrimardanah/
    Twam prasadya puraasmaabhirdwishanto nihataa yudhi,
    Agnih Sadaarnavaabhastwam pibannaapi na truyasey/
    Omkaarah Prasannatmaa kaamadah kaamagah priyah,
    Brahmachaarichagaadhascha Brahmanyah sishta pujitah/
    Shivonobhava sarvatra yosi sosi Namostutey/
    (Hey Ananta Teja, Suvrata, Bhagavan, Kshetraadhi patey, Beeja Swarupa, Shuli,
    Jyeshtha, Shreshtha, Manya, Pujya, Sadyojaata, Gahara, Ghatesha, Sarva Praana Swami!
    My salutations to you to the Prabhu of Vedas and Smritis and all the inputs like money
    and material required for spiritual deeds. You are the Master of Yoga and Sankhya which
    are the significant means of Salvation, besides being the instruments like Maharshis and
    Grahas. You are the Lord as also of the Swarupa of the endless beings of Srishti like
    Rivers, Trees, the great Aoushadhis or medicines; you are the Dharma, its very existence,
    and its various manifestations; You are the ‘Paraartha’or the Spiritual Quest; the Para
    which is unaffected by Pancha Indriayas; the Rasaas; the Ratnaas; the ‘Ahoratraas’ or the
    days and nights; the Pakshaas or the Fortnights, the Maasaas or the Months, the Rithus or
    the Seasons like Spring and Autumn; You are the Most Ancient Prabhu performing the
    task of Sarga or Creatin; You are the Yoga Prabhu, Manvantara Prabhu, Vishwa Prabhu,
    Brahmadhipati, Bhagavan! You are the Master of Vidya or Knowledge; the Master of the
    Masters of Vidya; Vratadaayika Swami; Mantra Prabhu; the Master of Pitreeshwaras; the
    Pashupati; Vrishendra dhwaja; the Master of Prajaapatis; the Supreme of Gandharva Yaksha-Daitya-Danavas; the Swami of Garuda, Sarpa, Pakshis and various other species;
    you are also the Head of Vaaraaha, Pischacha, Guhya, Gokarna, Gotra, Shankuka Karna;
    Ruksha, Viraja, Suraganaa etc. Prabho! You are Swami of Jala / Water; the Swami of
    ‘Ojas’; (Power Essence or Semen present in males and females); the Lord of Lakshmi
    Devi; the Bhupati or the King; You are the ‘Bala’or Physical Strength as also the ‘Abala’
    or of Weakness; The Topmost Mount of the highest Mountain of Supreme Illumination;
    You are the ‘Ateeta’or Beyond Approach; You are the ‘Vartamana’ or of the Present
    Tense or of the Ongoing Time Frame; You are also the Bhavishya or of the Happenings
    Ahead in the Future; You are the Suraveera or the Embodiment of Strength and Courage;
    Varada or the Bestower of Boons; the Sreshtha Purusha or the Most Illustrious and the
    Best Purusha or Prime Male; You are also the ‘Bhuta’ or a Being but as the Unique and
    the Most Notable among the Creations of the Beings; the Word ‘Mahat’ or Magnificence
    would indeed signify yourself. You are as miniscule as an atom and as Colossal that is
    unparalelled! You are the symbol of Bandhana-Moksha or of Freedom from Shackles;
    You are the Swarga and Naraka Swarupa signifying Salvation or Bliss and Punishment
    and Retribution! You are the ‘Hutaagni’ or the Fire of ‘Homas’/ Sacred Agni Karyaas and
    also the Upahuta or the Deputy who assists in performing of the Sacred Deed. Vishwa,
    Vishwa Rupa, Vishwata, I bow my head to you Rudra! You are the ‘Havya’(Havana),
    ‘Kavya’(Sacrifice in favour of Pitras) and Hutavaaha (Agni); You are Siddha, Madhya,
    Ishta, Suveera, Sughora, Krodha or Anger and Krodhi or who is angry; You are Buddhi,
    Shuddha, Sthula / Gross, Sukshma (Tiny); Drushya or the Visionable; Adrushya or
    Unseeable or Imperceptible; Sarvesha! You are Virupaaksha, Parama Linga, Pingala,
    Vrishti or Abundant; Dhuman, Sweta, Pujya, Upajeevya, Saviroha, Kshemya, Vruddha,
    Vatsala, Padma Varna, Kamala dhaari, Kapardi, Mahesha, Kapila, Tarkya (Arguable) and
    Atarkya; Chitra, Chitra vesha, Chitra Varna; Nilakantha, Anaama or Nameless and Ardra
    Charma Dhari or Dressed in Wet-Skin. Parameswara! You roam about and even reside in
    Smashaanaas or burial grounds! You are the Preserver of Praana or Life; You wear
    garlands of Skulls! You are ‘Ardhanaareswara’ or Demi Male and Demi Female; You
    sport a serpents as a Yagnopaveetas or as Holy Threads around and down his neck on the
    back and front of his upperbody! You even were a repulsive physique and disgusting
    profile; You Pameswara area an epitome of Great Radiance; You are ever resplendent;
    yet as a Nirguna or devoid of Characteristics; You are ‘Vaama’ and Vaamapriya; You
    wear Chudaamani or Crest Jewel; You carry gold chain as Brahma Sutra around the neck
    and a Lotus circling his head; your body shines with the unusual illumination of Surya
    and Chandra; You are Haya sirsha or of a head like horse; You are Vidhaata, Bhuta
    Bhavana; Ghanta Priya or fond of Bells, of Dhwajas or Flags and of Chhatras or
    Umbrellas.You are Pinakini or the Holder of Bow and Arrow called Pinaka; Kavacha or
    8Shield; and Khadga. Mahadeva! You are a Brahmachari, Brahmana, Sishta, Pujya,
    Krodhi, Prasanna, Sarva Karma rata or engaged in any type of deed; You do share the
    Divya Bhogaas yet completely bereft of desires; You indeed are of Asankhya Tatwaas or
    coultless features; Parama Siva! My Salutations again and again.)
    Suta Maha Muni informed the Congregation of Munis at Nimisha Forest that whoso ever
    recites the above Stuti every day, or atleast during Shraaddhaas or Yajnas or Avabhruta
    Snaanaas after the Yajna would qualify for the performance of several Ashwamedha
    Yagnas and Shiva Loka Prapti.
    [Essence of Linga Purana]

Thread Information