Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The ~spiritual~ side ?

Re: The ~spiritual~ side ?

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post

but yajvan, you mentioned
    how to go back to zero, even beyond square one, to Being ?

Ahhh! the very essence of a true spiritual endeavor... I continue to hear over and over from all the wise I have studied or have been instructed - remain silent.

Now what does this really mean ? Surely it is beyond the notion of stop flapping the lips!
    question: I had the experience of dropping into the heart (pure awareness) and the mind stopped. Is that what you mean by being quiet ?

mūji : when quiet is left ( or remains), 'I am quiet' will not be there.

Mūji is saying when this perfect quiet is in place there is no duality of 'me' and of being quiet. There is no subject and no object in this condition. This quietness ( silence) permeates one's complete Being where there is no room for any reflection on being quiet.

Now many people use other words to describe this... some call this the 4th or (turīya), others may call it samādhi and the like pending one's school of thought. Yet no matter what one calls it, it is there all the time. It is not ~attained~ but discovered or allowed to happen. Like a pot of boiling water, once you remove the flame the water settles down to its natural state of stillness. We too can do the same.

iti śiva
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

This next part will take some patience to 'get it' - but if you spend a little time with it you will persevere ( It took me some time...)

When you spend some time ( via investigation) of who is interested with the world , you will find this 'who' or ego, is just one more perceived phenomenon no different then thinking I am this, or that, or a shop keeper, or a mother, a father, a son, a priest, a laborer, a good man, a bad man, a fallen person. By this discovery it assists one in finding out what you are not.

Mūji said it this way: the essential thing is to be clear about who you are by being clear about what you are not. When this door of recognition opens Grace enters.

This ego is so tightly coupled to one's identification we take it to be one's real essence (sāraḥ).

All well and good yajvan, but what does one do ?
    First prove this to yourself... watch your self/ego with one's awareness ( see post 6 above). See if you notice anything.

iti śiva
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Dear Yajvan ji,

Thoughts are momentary ... they are strung together by our attention.
    Inattention incapacitates them.

Any role is a built up based on certain thoughts ... by giving attention - [if i try to remain more explicit] by meditating on them and connecting the dots together ! If i do not have a particular set of thoughts, i cannot enact it a role in the day to day life and there is no need to form the role just coz i have those thoughts --- inattention makes them totally ineffective.

That ego - comprising of various roles ... is a myth...
    it appears to be there ... and is functionally useful...
    in reality its a myth ... a mirage... a shadow ... an appearance !!

Love!
    Silence
    Come up, O Lions, and shake off the delusion that you are a sheep

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

So, one says , yes I have read all the posts... I am in! I wish to go on the path that deposits me into this Being.

Well, here is the pickle... There is no path. But yajvan how can you say this! All that you write suggest so... what are you now telling me!

iti śiva
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Well, here is the pickle... There is no path.
    The truth of the matter is Reality surrounds & permeates us all ( within and without). Where can a path reside if in fact it is within Reality itself!

Said another way, what you are looking for is where you are looking from¹.

Ramaṅa mahaṛṣi said it this way: there is no greater mystery then this - that (we) being the Reality we seek to gain Reality.

iti śiva

1. mūji's words.
    Last edited by yajvan; 30 May 2014 at 05:34 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Well, here is the pickle... There is no path.
    why does it feel like there is a path ?

Every thing we do seems to have a start, middle and an end. Every thing we are taught suggests that there is some doing involved. We are trained ( conditioned or evamātmaka) that effort is the way of the world. We lift 100 lbs. as exercise so we then can lift 125 lbs. next time. We do, re-do, so we get better. We repeat and repeat things. It is engrained in us that to gain , something must be done. Even heaven - if I am good, then I will go to heaven. Our life becomes a program statement of If, Then, Else. Our momentum is set in this direction.
    Then the wise come along and say,
    There is nothing you must do or change to be what you already are, says mūji. Yet he continues and says, there is something you must recognize in order to stop being what you are not.

Wait a minute - I am a do-er, an accomplisher! I get things done - so I must accomplish this spiritual pursuit in the same manner!

It is the doing that gets us in to trouble - that adds more baggage to us. My teacher told us ' do less and accomplish more'.
    What is the wisdom here? We will take a look in the next post.

iti śiva
    Last edited by yajvan; 31 May 2014 at 02:20 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

It is the doing that gets us in to trouble - that adds more baggage to us. My teacher told us ' do less and accomplish more'.
    What is the wisdom here?
    The notion of doing = action ( or kṛtá¹). It is this action that is on the ~individual~ level that tends to get us into trouble. AS mentioned my teacher said, do less and accomplish more; he then added , until you do nothing and accomplish everything. So where is the wisdom in theses words ? We will find it in the bhāgavad gītā.

We look to chapter 4 of the bhāgavad gītā; kṣṇa-jī points out what is action and inaction. Specifically the 18th śloka : He who sees action in inaction and inaction in action is wise amongst men.
    • sees action in inaction = one grounded in Being (silence) while the senses act within the field of the senses. That is, action does not overshadow or dominate, as this person is grounded in Being (silence of the Self).
    • inaction in action = this person also sees Being (silence) everywhere - within the field of life and all that occurs within the universe.
    The śloka goes on to say: He is united, he has accomplished all action. This is quite a profound statement that many pass by. If we know what the goal of all actions are then we are brought to the door steps of what this śloka means. The goal or purpose of all actions is to bring one to fulfillment.
    This fulfillment is none other then Self-recognition, that of fully blossomed consciousness that has unfolded into the unity of Being. Then one can say all has been accomplished. Any further actions performed is now on the level of natural law (dharma) and in accordance with all the laws of nature. One then is an exponent of Reality, here on earth.

So, the notion of doing less in on the individual/constrained/aṇu¹ ego based side of life and opening ( code for unfolding) the fullness of Being to such an extent that one sees and is nothing but Being; then all has been accomplished.

But how does one do less ? The wise say withdraw , then withdraw from the withdrawal. This has been discussed many times on HDF. I will put this in the next post for one's kind consideration.

iti śivaṁ
    • kṛti is the act of doing , making , performing , manufacturing , composing
    • Without getting too long winded aṇu is defined as minute, atomic, minutely. This ~smallness~ is another name for ego or for the individual. It is the notion that this ego has (apparently ) found a way to make the infinite Self, small, minute, atomic.
    Last edited by yajvan; 31 May 2014 at 02:23 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

The wise say withdraw , then withdraw from the withdrawal. This has been discussed many times on HDF.
    Withdraw from the parts (aṅga) and experience the whole, (aṅgī); then withdraw from the withdrawal i.e. withdraw from that whole or aṅgī, and come back to the parts.

Said another way, withdraw from the duality of life, the parts, diversity (aṅga) and experience fullness, bhuma, turīya ( aṅgī ), then (being refreshed or snānaṁ) come back to diversity of every day life.

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

It is said that a fish cannot thrive in perfectly pure water; like that, the mind cannot thrive in (perfectly pure) silence.

This is what occurs when withdrawing ( reviewed in the last post).

iti śivaṁ
    Last edited by yajvan; 02 June 2014 at 08:17 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

have you noticed that the nomenclature and verbiage offered by the wise is not your every-day ~common dialog speak~ . Why do you think this is done ? Nothing is done haphazardly or by coincidence.

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Thread Information