Thread: Couple of questions to Vishnu lovers ....

Couple of questions to Vishnu lovers ....

Namaste,

Close to be an year ago, got attracted to Sri Vaishnava branch. Since then slowly but steadily going only to Vishnu temples. I also took a vow to be vegetarian for the rest of my life.

Recently I got relocated to a place where vegetarian food and temple is hard to find.
    Both are costly, time consuming and at present beyond my reach.

As the kitchen and the living room is shared, it is practically impossible to prepare 100 % vegetarian food (due to shared items like cooking utensils, salt, chilly powder, oil etc). I dont have a choice.

Before consuming, I offer the food prepared ( although contaminated ) to Shree Raama Chandra Prabhu. My belief is if he can appear from pillar for Prahallad why wouldn't he appear in the appartment / office for me.

However my mind questions me whether it is correct to offer the food knowing very well that shared items are used during the preparation.

The other day i noticed a Church at a stone throw away distance from my appartment. I am unable to visit Vishnu temple and missing him very badly.

Can I visit the church and mentally pray to Shree Raama Chandra Prabhu? When ever I pass through that church feel like Shree Raama Chandra personally calling me from inside. It is like he is telling me Why are you searching for a Vishnu temple to meet me. I am here at a stone throw away distance to you.

I request "Sri Vaishnavas" and other learned members to share their views on my confusion.
    Last edited by Anirudh; 24 May 2014 at 09:58 PM.
    Anirudh...

Re: Couple of questions to Vishnu lovers ....

Can I visit the church and mentally pray to Shree Raama Chandra Prabhu?
    Namaste, Prabhu.

You can go there if you believe it's sacred same as Vishnu's mandira. And if someone doesn't believe in sacredly place, then going to any mandira becomes meaningless. And I believe Church can not be even compared to the divine Vishnu Mandira.

Just one easy way, why don't you manifest vishnu in your mind or heart or even you can worship him in the Akasha, imagining akasha as Vishnu's subtle nature? Such mind worships are prescribed in Bhagavata Purana. I think it's much better because it gives more peace than that we get in the temple.
    Hari On!

Church can not be even compared to the divine Vishnu Mandira

.... you manifest vishnu in your mind or heart or even you can worship him in the Akasha ....
    Thanks for sharing your views ...
    Anirudh...

Namaste Anirudh ji,
    I agree on hinduism♥krishna ji's view, I am not post this reply to solve your problem as I am not learned member but only for sharing what I think...
    Everyone knows god is everywhere, even in small atoms.. Then why there is need to go temple if its nearly impossible,
    we visit temple, as temple have so much positive energy and very sacred as hsk ji say, when we look at murti (idol) in temple then the divine energy from that idol and surrounding sacred environment fills us with devotion and purity and in this state we can easily exeperience and can talk to god..
    But as I say god is everywhere so you can see him wherever you are, bhakta prahallad himself believe that god is everywhere in sky, tree even in pillar, and he can see him clearly in each of them, god don't need to come from pillar for prahallad as he can see him already everywhere, god came there to prove this belief of prahallad to hiranyakashyap as he refuses that god is everywhere (as you already know the story)
    so I think sir, you should fill your heart and soul with full of devotion and this belief, you can also meditate on rama chandra prabhu, then you can see him everywhere and after that whenever you close your eyes you will get darshan of him...
    Sorry if something is wrong
    have a nice day...
    Aasato ma sat gamay
    tamaso ma jotirgamay
    mrityorma amrutamgamay
    (Bring me from asat to sat, bring me from darkness (ignorance) to light (knowledge), bring me from death to immortality)
    Om Namah Shivay
    Om Vishnave Namah

Namaste Anirudh

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh
    I am unable to visit Vishnu temple and missing him very badly.
    You can make that your own room in the house where you're staying recalls you to the Lord Vishnu's temple.

"My dear Nārada, I do not dwell in Vaikuṇṭha or in the hearts of the yogī, but wherever My devotees sing My glories" (Padma Purāṇa)

"I am not happy in Vaikuntha. I am not happy in Goloka. I am not happy by Sri Radha’s side. I am happy in the company of My devotees. Wherever My devotees stay, there I stay day and night." (Brahma-vaivarta Purana)

"Where the topics of Lord Krsna are present there also are all the demigods, sages, philosophers, saints and holy places of pilgrimage.

By hearing the topics of Lord Hari the hearers become great saints free of all distress. They who hear the beautiful and auspicious topics of Lord Hari become holy places of pilgrimage.

Speaking the glories of Lord Hari, and delivering hundreds and hundreds of listeners, they purify the entire world.

Simply by asking his question, the inquirer purifies his family. Simply by hearing the hearer, purifies his family and all his relatives.

Pure as if he had performed austerities for hundreds of births, he is born in Bharata-varsa. Hearing the nectar of topics about Lord Hari, his life is a success." (Brahma-vaivarta Purana)

See, it says that the Lord dwells wherever His devotees stay and where His devotees sing and present (or recite, or read) His glories.
    Not that the Lord dwells just in the temple on the altar as a deity (murti).

"This Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam is the literary incarnation of God, and it is compiled by Śrīla Vyāsadeva, the incarnation of God. It is meant for the ultimate good of all people, and it is all-successful, all-blissful and all-perfect." (Bhagavatam 1.3.40)

If you put a Bhagavatam book on a bookshelf in your room, then the Lord who incarnates in the form of the Bhagavatam book will be there on your bookshelf.
    It is not that the Lord is only there in the temple on the altar. He will be there in your room if you keep there scriptures such as Bhagavatam and of course if you read Bhagavatam. Not only that but there will also be all the demigods, sages, ... , see above "Where the topics of Lord Krsna are present there also are all the demigods, sages, philosophers, saints and holy places of pilgrimage." (Brahma-vaivarta Purana)
    On your bookshelf you can put also a picture (photo) of the deities, and you can watch them, remember them, offer them obeisances, offering them food, etc.
    You can find some Vaishnava songs even on youtube and listen to.

If you go to the church do you expect there the priest will read aloud the glories and pastimes of Lord Krishna from Bhagavatam and Vishnu Purana?
    He will not do that, but you can do it at your home.

Regarding the problems concerning the food.
    Do not worry about it because the Lord knows that you are limited as far as the conditions in which you live. But I think in this case the food should not be offered directly to the deities. I already wrote about that earlier, if you're interested see here: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=12090

However, you can directly offer food to the Lord which is pure, eg fruits, water, juice, etc.

"If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, fruit or water, I will accept it." (Bhagavad gita 9.26)

regards

Wherever My devotees stay, there I stay day and night."
    "If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, fruit or water, I will accept it.
    Namaste brahma jijnasa

Thank you very much.

Before moving into this new place, use to clean my living area twice every day as I had installed Shree Raama Chandra Prabhu in my room. But here folks consume non sattvic food every where.

यत्र यत्र रघुनाथकीर्तनं तत्र तत्र कृतमस्तकांजलिम्
    वाष्पवारिपरिपूर्णालोचनं मारुतिं नमत राक्षसान्तकम् ॥

Upon listening to above audio, it struck me that the only place that can't be contaminated by external forces is my mind and body. Shree Raama Chandra Prabhu has created this situation in my life so that I will keep my my mind and body always clean and pure.
    Anirudh...

Namaste Anirudh,

As usual, glad to see your never give up attitude towards Sri SitaRam Bhakti.

These are the situations when we realize His soulabhyam (easy accessibilty) and our Bhakti increases 100 folds. Its amazing to see the One who is king of all kings, ruler of all rulers to be so easily satisfiable. However it is very important that while enjoying His soulabhyam, one should never ever compromise on the right tattva jnyAna (regarding Paramatma, His kalyANa guNAs, jivatma and their relationship). This includes not going to places where worshipers and worshiped lack this.

This point cannot be stressed enough - I have noticed that many take His soulabhyam feature as granting permission to do whatever comes to their minds, instead of inquiring from right sources as your good self. Those places of worship unapproved by Vedas are to be avoided strictly.

We should avoid offering Him food which is not sattvic or contaminated. He is satisfied with just a fruit, flower, leaf or even a bit of water offered to Him - look at His soulabhyam!

No true Vaishnava ever ignores His Forms, which are many. Great rishis/alwars and bhaktas like Valmiki, Hanuman, Gopis etc have ever kept His rUpam as Rama, Krishna in their hearts.

So, worshiping a picture of SitaRam at home in a small corner or even a google image is more than enough. Reciting a few slokhas from Valmiki Ramayana or Bhagavatm is more than enough as long as you keep Lord Srinivasa's Rupam always in your heart. What matters is always remembering His guNAs, including His rUpa guNAs, as described by great seers.

If you take one step towards Him, He is already taking a 1000 towards you.

Thread Information