Thread: Devi Durga

Devi Durga

Namaskar Mitra,Gurujana

I want to know that what is the difference between Devi Durga's Swaroopas?This question may be a confusing one so Pardon my ignorance.I mean to say that during Durga Puja or navratri we worship the 9 Devis Devi Sailputri to Devi .But in Ashtami in Durga puja we also worship goddess Chandi/Chamunda.This puja is called Sandhi puja,it is basically the moment where Ashtami and Navami coincide and this is the moment when Devi killed the Demons Shumbh-Nishubh and Raktbeej,if I am not wrong.

So,please enlighten me on Devi Chandi or Chamunda.Are both same or different I have been a Worshipper since I was 5 years old but I have not been able to understand the difference.Maybe I should read some scriptures.

Anyways great minds please explain this to me.

Dhanyabad

Re: Devi Durga

Dear Abhishek

Can we value the lustre of the light unless we run down the murk of the night? Dont 6hours of sleep govern the quality of 18hours activity?
    Chamundi is the Kalika Durga who emerged from the third eye of Koushiki Chandi Durga who manifested Herself from Shailaputri Durga(Parvati). She destroyed the two demons chanda and munda representing the passionate ego and the ignorance.In the form of nidra or sleep she lays to rest all our conscious emotions thereby preparing us for the activity of the next day. Likewise she takes into Herself the whole universe at the time of dissolution only to recreate it for the next cycle.She resides in the mooladhara chakra without crossing which you can never appreciate the beauty of other chakras. So we cannot appreciate the soma in the sahasrara chakra where Bhuvaneshwari resides unless you start with Shree Chandunda.She destroys all the barriers to spirituality but only after testing our eligibility and qualification
    As per Durga saptashati Chandi is the Koushiki Durga/Mahasarasvati who springs from the physical sheath of MahaGouri(Parvati who is the Moola Durga)
    Chamunda has half the amsha of Chandi and springs out from Chandi’s Ajna kshetra.
    The moola mantra of Durga/Parvati infact is Aim Hreem Kleem Chamundayyai Vicche.So along with Hreem Kleem and AiM Chamunda is also a part of Durga. You cannot separate them as Chamunda is the means through which Aim(Mahasarasvati)Hreem(Mahalakshmi)Kleem(Mahakali) manifest effortlessly.Why PaRVATI got thename Durga can be found from the link belowhttp://www.greenmesg.org/mantras_slo..._mahatmyam.php

For beginners Chamunda puja should be done with her ekakshara mantra KREEEEMChant this if you are willing to break down you karma faster. Kreem also represents the time karma. If you are want your things to be done faster(including liberation) you chant this ekakshara. Once you become adept with this Mantra you can go with the longer mantra Kreem kreem kreem hum hum hreem hreemKarma in the manifest universe arises in the form of time and space. So while space karma is destroyed by Hreem... Time mantra is destroyed by KreemThis was the mantra which enlightened Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa

For Chandi puja any mantra of the goddess Parvati should work. Because if you read the story of Durgamasura or SHumbha Nishumbha Gods offer their prayers to Bhuvaneshwari devi but it is Parvati who comes to their rescue. Because prayers to Bhuvaneshwari reach all goddesses.And Parvati is the saguna avatar of Her. So any worship to Parvati will reach Chandi too
    You can use the following
    1)Aim Hreem Kleem chamundayyai vicche
    2)Om sham sheem shoom shailaputryyai swaha
    3)om hreem shreem chandikaayai swaha

Quote Originally Posted by Abhishek Born Again View Post
    Namaskar Mitra
    Namaste ABA

I want to know that what is the difference between Devi Durga's Swaroopas?
    The Rsis depicted Reality the way it is - complex. At the same time they saw that this complexity is composed of some number of Purities. So Devi Durga is a composite of all these Pure Ones, and thus spans the length and breadth of all that exists or is beyond.
    True to the Rsis vision, Ma Durga is not like the usual Abrahmanistic, Monotheistic, Jealous God of propagandist political ideologies that go by the name of religion today. Instead, She is a harmonious Unity of the nine Devi-s. Worshipping each of these Devi-s is like following a unique religion, still, at the end of it all, Durga Ma unifies everything. What happens, then?

This question may be a confusing one so Pardon my ignorance.
    Asking questions is not ignorance at all. Spreading falsehood, like the many "contractors" of Dharma do these days, is real ignorance.

I mean to say that during Durga Puja or navratri we worship the 9 Devis Devi Sailputri to Devi .
    Notice that ShailaPutri is the Goddess of this material world; that is, all that we see around us is only 1/9 th of Durga!

But in Ashtami in Durga puja we also worship goddess Chandi/Chamunda.This puja is called Sandhi puja,it is basically the moment where Ashtami and Navami coincide and this is the moment when Devi killed the Demons Shumbh-Nishubh and Raktbeej,if I am not wrong.
    I also don't remember all details. But a comment is in order:
    Chandi is the name of Durga Herself.
    Whereas, Chamunda came out of Ma Kaushiki's body. Kaushiki is imo Mahagauri Herself, who Durga calls upon to act as a "bait" to ensnare the rakshasha-s.

So,please enlighten me on Devi Chandi or Chamunda.Are both same or different I have been a Worshipper since I was 5 years old but I have not been able to understand the difference.Maybe I should read some scriptures.
    So, as I said, Chandi is another name of Durga. What does this name mean? It means, Durga is the controller of all that moves in the six Loka-s.
    To achieve this feat, Durga has a representation in these realms, also understood as the leader of the Six. That is, The Seventh.

What I mean by "representation" is that The Seventh is the controller of all that moves, even when Durga Herself is beyond even that.

Who is this Seventh?
    Chandikā.

Chandikā, the word, means: "of Chandi". So this much is clear, isn't it.

Chandikā has threefold aspect:
    Kālikā, Chandikā, and Chāmundā.

Of course, Kali (Kālrātri) is Very, Very near to these three Devi-s, hence the similarities in their rūpa-s. The basic difference, however, is that Kali is Infinite.

Chandikā is the "center" of these three. Chamunda is more near to the six Loka-s. Not unsurprisingly, Chamunda is known as the Seventh Matrika, and the Leader of the other Six Matrika-s.

Kalika, on the other hand, is very much near to Ma Kali.

I hope this makes some sense, though please come back with any other query or correction to this.

KT
    Things to remember:

1. Life = yajña
    2. Depth of Āstika knowledge is directly proportional
    to the richness of Sanskrit it is written in
    3. Āstika = Bhārata ("east") / Ārya ("west")
    4. Varṇa = tripartite division of Vedic polity
    5. r = c. x²
    where,
    r = realisation
    constant c = intelligence
    variable x = bhakti

Namaste,

Many thanks for the question- and for such detailed and thoughtful replies
    offering two different, but not contradictory, perspectives on the question.

I will not elaborate as to how my own view may differ in some particulars,
    since there has been nothing offered which leads astray, and the chance
    of causing confusion, rather than further clarification, for the OP is not
    worth indulging in sharing my own imperfect understanding.

I will share my gratitude for the chance to enlarge my own learning,
    and for any interest and discussion of Devi from other members here!

JAI MATA DI
    || जय माता की ||

Quote Originally Posted by JaiMaaDurga View Post
    I will not elaborate as to how my own view may differ in some particulars,
    since there has been nothing offered which leads astray, and the chance
    of causing confusion, rather than further clarification, for the OP is not
    worth indulging in sharing my own imperfect understanding.
    JMD,
    Namaste.

I feel you should present your views here. Differing but sincere views can only lead to the greater good of the community. In the end, we bhakta-s are ever willing to learn from each other; over and above mere learning in fact it is this very humility coming from a realisation of incompleteness of our understandings is what prepares us to move further still on our paths.

KT
    Things to remember:

1. Life = yajña
    2. Depth of Āstika knowledge is directly proportional
    to the richness of Sanskrit it is written in
    3. Āstika = Bhārata ("east") / Ārya ("west")
    4. Varṇa = tripartite division of Vedic polity
    5. r = c. x²
    where,
    r = realisation
    constant c = intelligence
    variable x = bhakti

Namaste

Great Replies. Thank You For Such Detailed Answers. Now I get it.

Dhanyabad

Goddess Durga is also known as Navdurga especially in the occasion of Navratri which is festival of nine nights and ten days where in Maa Durga is worshipped in her nine different incarnations.
    Chakra Healing with RRST!!!

Thread Information