Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why cant Hindus eat Egg if it's not living and another question

Why cant Hindus eat Egg if it's not living and another question

Namaste

I have searched the internet for some answers and i could not find it in any books i read, so i have come to ask to you, the wide community

A few days ago, one of my friends asked me, "if Hindus cant eat living things, why cant you guys eat eggs?", i told him "eggs are living, just like a baby in the mothers fetus" then he replied, "fertilized eggs, the eggs that we eat aren't fertilized, so why cant you eat it" I was left without an answer, so i come here, please educate me and tell me the answer to such a question although i would never eat egg, only because my parents told me.

I also have another question, if one cannot eat meat due to the law of Ahisma and Dharma, then why can one eat plants, Fruits and vegetables? Aren't plants and vegetables living and aren't they gods creation too?

Jai Sri Radhe-Syam

Re: Why cant Hindus eat Egg if it's not living and another question

Vannakkam, and welcome to HDF.

Eggs are like meat in their chemistry. That's one reason. Taking on the chemical effects of meat will lower our natures. I'm sure there are more reasons as well.

As for plants and animals, we and all animals have a relationship with plants. Think of the carbon-dioxide and oxygen cycle between the two. We help them, and they help us. So although we are both life-forms, there is a symbiotic relationship between us that benefits each of us.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Samraat Bhismadeva Maurya

Allow me to suggest you to read this link:
    http://www.harekrsna.com/practice/4r...etarianism.htm

Pranama,
    Orlando.

Namaste and welcome to the HDF

Quote Originally Posted by Samraat Bhismadeva Maurya View Post
    A few days ago, one of my friends asked me, "if Hindus cant eat living things, why cant you guys eat eggs?", i told him "eggs are living, just like a baby in the mothers fetus" then he replied, "fertilized eggs, the eggs that we eat aren't fertilized, so why cant you eat it" I was left without an answer, so i come here, please educate me and tell me the answer to such a question although i would never eat egg, only because my parents told me.
    Here's the answer from the vaishnava point of view.
    It does not matter whether eggs are fertilized or not. What is important is that vaishnavas do not offer food to the Lord that is not prescribed to be offered to Him. Food that is appropriate to offer to the Lord is mentioned in the scriptures. Among the said food meat, fish and eggs is not mentioned anywhere.

I also have another question, if one cannot eat meat due to the law of Ahisma and Dharma, then why can one eat plants, Fruits and vegetables? Aren't plants and vegetables living and aren't they gods creation too?

Jai Sri Radhe-Syam
    Ahimsa is not the only principle that should be kept in mind when offering food to the Lord Krishna. See above, I said that appropriate food to be offered to the Lord is mentioned in the scriptures. Among the said food meat, fish and eggs is not mentioned anywhere.

regards

Hari Bol!
    Thank you everyone, thank you very much Orlando for leading me to the website!

So i just want to clear this, eating plants and other living beings that we have the "Connection" with wont give us karma when taken

Jai Sri Radhe-Syam
    Last edited by Samraat Bhismadeva Maurya; 06 June 2014 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Never mind, i got an answer

Hari Bol!
    Thank you everyone, thank you very much Orlando for leading me to the website!

So i just want to clear this, eating plants and other living beings that we have the "Connection" with wont give us karma when taken

Jai Sri Radhe-Syam
    Namaste,

Certain things are created to help us sustain our livelihood.

Plants do not have central nervous system. Also if you eat ripe fruits, plucking them off, do not produce much pain, just like you trim your beard / hair or trim your nails.

Milk though an animal product, is taken, but it is said that first right on milk is for calf. Excess milk should be taken. But this is not followed today. Still properties of milk are very different than properties of egg.

Perhaps Yogis, who are scientists of subtle bodies say that foods that help one progress in spiritual life are better

Fruits grow in air and hence they have more of aakash tatva. Milk and fruits both digest within 30 mins.

Underground foods like potatoes are not preferred by many, mostly vaishnava-s.

But here again, those who do physical hard work, for them, eating onion, garlic, carrots, etc is important for giving strength to body.

Also certain herbs grow underground. they too are eaten, but in minimal quantity for eradication of disease i.e. they are taken as medicines.

We need to take food that helps us in our spiritual progress. Perhaps, in old days, vaids (doctors) used to pray to plants to take their stems and it is said that plants did respond and gave them permission.

In case of animals, it is observed by yogis that it increase tamasic guna which is not good for spiritual growth and some say that meat eater do not have much stamina as compared to vegetarians.

Hari OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Hare Krsna

Thank you very much for clearing my doubts

Jai Sri Radhe-Syam!
    Last edited by Samraat Bhismadeva Maurya; 13 August 2014 at 03:23 AM.

Hare Krsna

Thank you very much for clearing my doubts, you have really strengthened my belief on Sanatana Dharma, thank you very much, may god bless you

Jai Sri Radhe-Syam!
    Hare KruShNa

Honored to serve samrATa

|| Sri Rama Jai Rama Jai Jai Rama ||

|| srI KruShNa parabrahmaarpaNamastu ||
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Your question was discussed in SrimadBhagawatham thousands of years ago in the story in 'DharmaVyadha', the butcher to whom a learned brahmin was sent to understand dharma. Their are two factors in it, tradition and personal choice. Half the Hindus are non-vegetarians, including some of the brahmin castes. Of course, I do not think anybody denies that vegetarianism is better than non-vegetarianism.
    Last edited by aupmanyav; 30 June 2014 at 01:44 AM.
    "Paropakaram punyaya, papaya parapeedanam."
    (Helping others is merit, causing pain is sin)

Hari Bol!

A fruit is the ripened ovary or ovaries—together with seeds—from one or more flowers, so they are also like eggs then?

EDIT: I found an answer in Srimad Bhagavatam Purport.

Śrīmad Bhāgavatam 3.29.15 Explanation: Sometimes the question is put before us: "You ask us not to eat meat, but you are eating vegetables. Do you think that is not violence?" The answer is that eating vegetables is violence, and vegetarians are also committing violence against other living entities because vegetables also have life. Nondevotees are killing cows, goats and so many other animals for eating purposes, and a devotee, who is vegetarian, is also killing. But here, significantly, it is stated that every living entity has to live by killing another entity; that is the law of nature. Jīvo jīvasya jīvanam: one living entity is the life for another living entity. But for a human being, that violence should be committed only as much as necessary.
    A human being is not to eat anything which is not offered to the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Yajña-śiṣṭāśinaḥ santaḥ: one becomes freed from all sinful reactions by eating foodstuffs which are offered to Yajña, the Supreme Personality of Godhead. A devotee therefore eats only prasāda, or foodstuffs offered to the Supreme Lord, and Kṛṣṇa says that when a devotee offers Him foodstuffs from the vegetable kingdom, with devotion, He eats that. A devotee is to offer to Kṛṣṇa foodstuffs prepared from vegetables. If the Supreme Lord wanted foodstuffs prepared from animal food, the devotee could offer this, but He does not order to do that.
    We have to commit violence; that is a natural law. We should not, however, commit violence extravagantly, but only as much as ordered by the Lord. Arjuna engaged in the art of killing, and although killing is, of course, violence, he killed the enemy simply on Kṛṣṇa's order. In the same way, if we commit violence as it is necessary, by the order of the Lord, that is called nātihiḿsā. We cannot avoid violence, for we are put into a conditional life in which we have to commit violence, but we should not commit more violence than necessary or than ordered by the Supreme Personality of Godhead.
    Last edited by Samraat Bhismadeva Maurya; 12 August 2014 at 04:42 PM.
    "Hare Krisha Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama, Rama Rama Hare Hare" ¬ The Glorious Mahamantra. Chant this 108 times a day and keep Samsara away

Thread Information