Thread: Hare Krsna!

Hare Krsna!

Hare Krsna,

I am new to the community and have not yet fully converted, but chant numerous times a day. I am opening to the faith and wanted a place to come to ask questions and seek advice of others on the path. My biggest trouble is that I am the only one in my family who could eat Vegetarian, and am looking into the idea of converting to Vegetarian, but my wife and kids will not follow suit. I was brought here by a great love for George Harrison, and the Radha Krishna Temple Album, and the founders album from 1966 with the chant upon it. This is how I was introduced to the faith. Years ago, I attended a Ratha Yatra at Gita Nagari with some friends and was enraptured by it. I look forward to meeting new people here and learning more. There are no Temples close by where I live. They are over an hour or more away. I chant all the time I can. I drive in transport and at times have long distances with no one on borad so have free time to chant. I find it a wonderful meditation and love my times to chant, in fact i think I am addicted to the chant. ;-) I know devotees chant over 1000 times a day. I do not know if I get near that, but must be in the couple hundreds at least. I am wondering, how many chants a day should one focus on to start, and any suggestions about the vegetarian conversion issue? Any direction on this would be great. I have several of the books online and a few in hard copy and am devouring them. My favorite of ocurse is Chant and Be Happy as George Harrison talks here.

Anyway, thank you and Hare Krsna

Re: Hare Krsna!

Namaste and welcome to the forums !

You are already doing a great job. Chanting Gods name and the mantra has not restrictions. Keep chanting as much as you can. Listen to devotional songs. It helps a lot. Have faith in God. Just to caution that do not be too much immersed, else you will not be able to focus on driving.

Do not worry if your wife is not veg. Try yourself to eat as much veg as possible. Even if you have to eat non-veg, offer it to God. Do not think it is not right. God knows in what situation you are in. Please please do not force anyone to follow certain spiritual rules, else there will not be harmony in your family and you will remain disturbed.

Whenever possible, try to do japa (chant mentally) the mantra. No need to mala. Please start and end your japa with prayer to Shri Krishna. Pray to him to show you the way and guide you in life. Pray for clarity and right direction so that you can progress spiritually.

Did you read bhAgavat purANa (srimad bhagavatam) ?

Did you hear chants / devotional songs by Krishna Das?

Pleased to meet you

Chant and be happy.

Jai Shri Krishna
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Namaste,

Welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenwolf View Post
    ..........I have several of the books online and a few in hard copy and am devouring them.

......any suggestions about the vegetarian conversion issue?
    After devouring them, you still feel hungry for food?

All kidding aside, if the family is not into it, you will have to learn how to cook simple vegetarian meals - beans and vegetables and salads - and make yourself something different from what others eat. Don't know what else to suggest.

Pranam.

Namaste Ravenwolf

Very inspiring seeker your are! Welcome to the forum. A typical ISKCON devotee of Krishna will chant 16 "rounds" on Tulsi beads where one "round" is 108 bead japa mala chanting the Mahamantra one time for each bead. So 108 x 16. Do you use Tulsi beads? You can find them online or on eBay even.

You should cook your own food. Hare Krishna devotees do not use garlic or onions in their food. Watch out for cheese which might have rennet in it - try to find rennetless cheese.

You can set up a framed picture of God if you like, later you might want a murti or deity of Krishna or Caitanya or Jagannath.

Enjoy your visits to Hindu temples.

Om Namah Sivaya

Hare Krsna to all.

Thank you for the replies. My computer has died so I have not had the chance to answer till now. I have ordered some tulasi beads and I am awaiting their arrival. I am slowly making my meals separate than the family and am making vegetarian dishes now. The family is supportive. I was wondering, how best is it that we offer the foods to Krsna? A prayer over the meal or is their a certain prayer? Thank you.

Welcome RavenWolf,

I am in a similar situation to you, living with my parents who both eat meat and trying to deepen my love for God as well as my philosophical understanding.

If you visit krishna.com you will find some articles on getting started on Krishna consciousness. The members on this forum are also very helpful, many have been born in Hindu families or have been practicing for some time. I'm not sure what country you live in but normally there will be websites which are connected to ISKCON which sell books and pamphlets (usually very cheap) as well as Tulsi mala beads and wonderful artwork to proudly display in your home, you also have amazon, which stocks a good amount of books written by Srila Prabhupada.

George Harrison produced some wonderful music, I was just listening to 'Govinda' before I logged on and then I saw your introduction.

Enjoy the forums and welcome once again.
    ~ Om Namah Shivaya ~

Namaste and welcome to HDF
    I was wondering, how best is it that we offer the foods to Krsna? A prayer over the meal or is their a certain prayer? Thank you.
    This could be helpful: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...646#post109646

regards

Ravenwolf, Brahma Jignasa is also practising Gaudiya Vaishnav philosophy and is in touch with ISKCON, though not officially attached to the foundation.

Jai Shri Krishna
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

The family is supportive. I was wondering, how best is it that we offer the foods to Krsna?
    Glad to know that. The food/fruit is offered at the time of morning prayer. At the end of the daily ritual, it is taken as a blessing from God. At meal time, generally the process is to remember God and keep a portion of food for animals. They are also God's creatures. Perhaps experienced members can tell you about that. My grandfather use keep one portion for cows, the other for crows.
    "Paropakaram punyaya, papaya parapeedanam."
    (Helping others is merit, causing pain is sin)

Thread Information