Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to convert to hinduism

Wanting to convert to hinduism

Looking for help!!

Advice?

Anyone have spare books etc you could send me?

Thanks

2. Re: Wanting to convert to hinduism

Namaste,
    I'm a beginner too but first of all Hinduism has three main branches: worshippers of Vishnu and his avatars like Rama and Krishna (Vaishnava), worshippers of Shiva (Shaivas) and worshippers of the Goddess (Shakta). Then you may also consider that some say you can't convert to Hinduism while there are also organizations that actively proselyze. Maybe you should start with choosing your ishta-deva (personal God) from the Hindu pantheon and see where it leads you to.

Re: Wanting to convert to hinduism

Where does ganesha follow?

Namaste

"Hindu" comes later, sort of a catch all term for the huge Family of branches, sects, Guru lineages, devotions and philosophies that goes back to the Vedas. Actually, the word Hindu isn't in the Vedas, but I choose to call myself that because though officially I am a Saiva (one of the 3 most famous "branches" that Cosinuskurve mentions), I respect all fellow devotees, traditions, adherents of the others which is larger than these 3 and which in the "big picture" is called Hinduism by the world today.

You may already be a Hindu (I don't know you personally, usually fellow Hindus see and sense the "Hindu halo" in another for a lack of words), if so it is not conversion but rather living and experiencing Hinduism and the communion with the Devas and Devi, most often you will be approached by Divinity and really what you should do is as simple as go to the temples in your area where your being called and you will know.

LEARNING and HEARING from others, from Gurus and living saints, going deeper into scripture, is not really "conversion" as used in the West, because the idea of conversion in Western terms is someone made a commitment by rite (such as Baptism to Christianity) to some religion and then changes (or converts) to some other religion by some rite that "officially joins you" to the other. But for actual Hindus, everyone is under the dharma of the "eternal dharma or truth" and you were probably already a Hindu but under perhaps some maya or illusion. So you don't convert, you just start lifting this maya. And you just experience Hinduism. You start living your natural seeking, and then expand it as you LEARN MORE - but you will naturally realize which "home" aligns yourself, you might be a Shakta for example and Devi will let you know. Yes, you will become involved in rites, going to temple for darshan or communion, finding opportunities from others, many things become clear, but it is not really the type of rite as in the western term "conversion". Even if you are a demon, your character and qualities are such, you do not "convert" to become "good" but rather "adhere" to dharma. Yes even a demon can be, is already, a Hindu as you learn to love the entire, diverse, Family - but before Hindu, you will align "naturally" to some devotion, school or Divinity, I cannot "convert" you, you must realize it yourself. Then as the experience expands, you expand, and Hinduism is your experience.

I go to many temples, for example though I am a Saiva and honor the Cosmic Family of Shiva, my family (relatives) have great devotion to Devi (Goddess), I will go to Shakta temples. I have long friendships with ISKCON, Gaudiya and Vaishnava devotees and also go to their temples. I mention ISKCON in that, this has a history in the USA (not sure about in Canada) so it was there and their devotees are wonderful and the Hindu Family is all welcome to me. But do not think ISKCON is the only Vaishnava sect, no there are many, many, this is true of the others, including Saiva.

So that is why I say, before you are a "Hindu" you realize first you belong to some devotion or philosophy with roots to the Vedas, then you "embrace the entire Family" (viz "I am a Hindu"). There are advanced and even self-realized adherents who "focus" on the Supreme Brahman. There are some families which have been famous "Hindus" since the times of Vedas teachers and their children are "Hindus". There are sadhus and wanderers, renunciates, so many things. You do what you are and learn.

Any temples nearby?

Om Namah Sivaya

There is temples. But there all pretty far from me and currently don't have transportation to get to temples.

I believe I'm interested in shiva.

Quote Originally Posted by elake View Post
    Looking for help!!

Advice?

Anyone have spare books etc you could send me?

Thanks
    Vannakkam and welcome to HDF. A great place to start with books is the Library button at the top of this page.

Best wishes with your search.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by elake View Post
    I believe I'm interested in shiva.
    Vannakkam: Which form of Siva are you interested in? I'm a Saivite, BTW.

Aum Namasivaya

Which form?

Hari Om

Namaste Elake, if you do not mind my asking, where in Ohio, do you reside.

Thank you.

Om Namah Shivaya

FFTW

Thread Information