Thread: Aum Namah Shivaya

Aum Namah Shivaya

Namaste,

I have tried to explain to a couple of people who have no knowledge of Hinduism at all the meaning of Om Namah Shivaya, and have found it very difficult to do.

I was wondering, how would others explain this concept to another with minimal knowledge of the subject? It seems that there is so much meaning behind it that words escape me that can describe it.

I am also curious, what it means to each of you personally as well.

Pranam.
    Om Namah Shivaya

Re: Aum Namah Shivaya

Vannakkam: It has several meanings on different levels, with the simplest being 'Praise to Lord Shiva'. A couple of other levels, using each syllable separately, with one to one matching, are the 5 graces: creation, preservation, dissolution, concealing, and revealing. I can't remember the correct order just now. Another is the 5 elements ... earth, water, fire, air, and ether.

I'm sure there are more, and other people will come along to add or correct my understanding.

Aum Namasivaya

Pranams!

There is a stotram atributed to Sri Shankaracharya Guru that gives subtle adittional names of Shiva contained in each syllabe of Om Namah Shivaya:

NAgendra haraya Trilochanaya,
    Basmanga ragaya maheswaraya,
    Nithyaya shudhaya digambaraya,
    Tasmai nakaraya namashivaya.

My salutations to the letter 'Na' , which is Shiva,
    Who wears as garland the king of snakes.
    Who has three eyes,
    Who wears ash all over Him,
    Who is the greatest Lord,
    Who is forever,
    Who is the cleanest,
    And who wears the directions themselves as dress.

MAndakini salila chandana charchithaya,
    Nandeeswara pramadha nadha maheswaraya,
    Mandara pushpa bahu pushpa supoojithaya,
    Tasmai makaraya namashivaya.

My salutations to the letter 'Ma' , which is Shiva,
    Who is bathed by waters of Ganga,
    Who applies sandalpaste all over him,
    Who has Lord Nandi as his chieftain,
    Who is the greatest lord,
    And who is worshipped by Mandhara and many other flowers.

SHIvaaya gowri vadanara vinda,
    Sooryaya daksha dwara naasakaya,
    Sri neela kantaya vrisha dwajaya,
    Tasmai sikaraya namashivaya.

My salutations to the letter 'Shi' , which is Shiva,
    Who is peace personified,
    Who is like Sun to the Lotus face of Gowri,
    Who destroyed the fire sacrifice of Daksha,
    Who has a blue neck,
    And who has a bull in his flag.

VAsishta kumbhodhbhava gowthamadhi.
    Munendra devarchitha shekaraya,
    Chandrarka vaiswanara lochanaya,
    Tasmai vakaraya namashivaya

My salutations to the letter 'Va' , which is Shiva,
    Who is worshipped by great sages like
    Vasishta, Agasthya and Gowthama,
    As also the devas,
    And who has sun, moon and fire as his three eyes.

YAksha swaroopaya jada dharaya,
    Pinaka hasthathaya sanathanaya,
    Divyaya devaaya digambaraya,
    Tasmai yakaraya namashivaya.

My salutations to the letter 'Ya' , which is Shiva,
    Who takes the form of Yaksha,
    Who has a tufted hair,
    Who is armed with spear,
    Who is forever filled with peace,
    Who is godly,
    Who is the great God,
    And who wears the directions themselves as dress.

Phalasruthi:
    Panchaksharamidham punyam,
    Ya padeth Shiva sannidhou,
    Shivaloka mavapnothi,
    Shive na saha modathe .

Those who read these holy five letters great,
    In the temple of Shiva,.
    Would go to the world of Shiva,
    And be forever happy with Him.

Namaste
    Om namah shivaya This is the Shiva panchakshari mantra. The rishi is Vamadeva Pankti is the chandah Om is the beejam(seed) Namah is the shakti(motion power) Shivaya is the Keelakam(pin to unlock)

Na earth,Brahma,also Tatpurusha, mooladhara, Tirodhana or destruction of cycle of birth and death, Jagrat state,,
    Ma water Vishnu ,also Aghora,svadhishtana, Maya Or Shakti Bija and it means the universe and the concealing grace of the lord, Swapna state
    Shi fire Rudra,also Sadyojata manipura and represents the creation aspeact of Lord Shiva. Infact Shi also represents all aspects of Lord Shiva, Sushupti state
    Va air Ishaana also Vamadeva anahata Implies the revealing grace of Lord Turiya state
    Ya ether SadaShiva also Ishaana ajna chakra Also indicates the Jeeva merging with Shiva Turiyateeta state
    Om Parama shiva also Sada Shiva sahasrara
    Nama also means the jeeva or individual soul Shiva means Paramatma ya indicates aikam or merging so Nama Shiva Ya means merging of the soul with the Parameshaware Shiva
    Namahshivaya is the inconceivable mantra from whose five letters evolved fifty alphabets which produced all the vedas.From these 5 letter evolved the pancha brahmendras,the pancha mahabhutas and verily everything static and mobile in this universe.

SHI VA YA NA MA Opens heart chakra
    VA YA NA MA SHI Opening of ajna chakra
    YA NA MA SHI VA Fulfilment of Material desires
    NA MA SHI VA YA Destruction of Karmas
    MA SHI VA YA NA Destruction of enmity, promotion of love
    NA MA SHI VA NAMA IS jeeva and SHIVA IS Paratattva Chanting makes a person lord of all tattvas

SHI VA YA Just these 3 letters make you the beloved of Lord Shiva and confer grace

Shi Va Just these two letter confer supreme bliss and pure joy

Shi Base for Mahalakshmi and Kubera beejas Shreem and Sham and confers all the possible material comforts

If you see it from the point of puranas this was given by Narada to Mother Shailaputri(first durga) who became Brahmacharini(second durga) and attained Shivahood and finally became the complete Durga that is Siddhidatri

Namaste!

It is difficult to add to the excellent postings on this topic, except perhaps to say that it is an extremely powerful mantra. When recited silently, it creates a sensation of profound peace and a sense of opening up of one's small "self" to the vast, infinite ocean of consciousness within.

Oṃ namaḥ Śivāya!
    Last edited by Jeffery D. Long; 24 June 2014 at 05:44 PM.
    "One who makes a habit of prayer and meditation will easily overcome all difficulties and remain calm and unruffled in the midst of the trials of life." (Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

Namaste Jefferey, haven't heard from you in a bit. I agree, this mantra creates a sensation of profound peace, and yes opening up of one's small self to the vast. Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste, and thank you to everyone who has posted. I love this mantra, and the more I study it, the more depth I find in it.
    Om Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    Namaste Jefferey, haven't heard from you in a bit. I agree, this mantra creates a sensation of profound peace, and yes opening up of one's small self to the vast. Om Namah Sivaya
    Namaste ShivaFan!

It's nice to be back. Not that I've really "been" anywhere. Just incredibly busy, including some travel. I will always check in to HDF from time to time.
    "One who makes a habit of prayer and meditation will easily overcome all difficulties and remain calm and unruffled in the midst of the trials of life." (Holy Mother Sarada Devi)

Dear Friends,
    "Om Namah Sivaya" is a mantra. A Mantra is defined as "Mananat Trayate iti mantra" , "That which releases upon contemplation".

So any mantra is an aid to contemplation. Long before I contemplate I should be clear on what is it that I should contemplate upon. Mere repeating may calm the mind but will not really lead to liberation in a direct way - such a devotee would gain grace and by grace slowly it transforms into contemplation.

Lets look at the meaning so that we can contemplate.
    OM is the name of Self, Atma, Brahman. OM is also the name of God. OM is may be split into A-U-M [should be chanted as OM only, not AUM] ... A stands for the jagrat prapancha ... our waking state. And U for the dream state or the svapna prapancha... while M for the sushupti or the deep sleep state. so OM , stands for the Self which is the changeless presence in and through all these three states : YOU! Self.

Namah is the same as na-mama ... or not-mine. me and mine forms the ego and all its forms ... when i say namah ... i drop the self imposed sense that "I am the possessor of all this" ... Namah is a way of saying, that i am not the doer or experiencer... since if we see carefully nothing is really mine. This body is not in my control ! The breathing happens without my involvement.

Siva is God, OM. The imagery is simply beautiful. Siva is said to be dancing in smashanam ... the cremation ground. In the cremation ground other than Siva everything is Seva, Dead body! And amidst dead bodies Siva is dancing ! This is at once our life ! Siva , is dancing and so its the dance of Siva that i type this ! This body is ever lifeless ... Life is Siva alone. The breath that flows through me, is the breath of Siva... the bodies are all just sevas ... Siva is the one Awareness , Presence , OM!

So the contemplation is : OM, which is Siva alone IS, all else is Seva (Lifeless) ... and there is no me or mine ! That is the attitude one maintains as one contemplates on OM Namah Sivaya.

There is just Siva dancing in this smashanam [cremation ground] where all these bodies are merely dead lifeless entities while Siva is none other than the awareness or Consciousness which is changeless all through the changes in these bodies !!

Contemplating thus one indeed finds liberation from all bondage ! Thus its a mantra.

Love!
    Silence
    Come up, O Lions, and shake off the delusion that you are a sheep

Thread Information