Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dharma

Re: Dharma

For every entity, svarUpa (essence) and dharma(characteristics) form a pair. svarUpa is a kind of dharma that seeks to uniquely identify the entity from other similar or different entities.

Re: Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by TruthSeeker
    For every entity, svarUpa (essence) and dharma(characteristics) form a pair. svarUpa is a kind of dharma that seeks to uniquely identify the entity from other similar or different entities.
    So we have the terms svarUpa, dharmA and svadharmA. SvarUpa is the essence of a being, dharmA the general characteristics and svadharmA, the natural characteristic or natural dharma of a living being. For example, the svadharma of a tiger is to be wild and ferocious, of a cow is to be satvik and of man is to try to be his real Self. In the same way, the svadharma of a Varna is the occupation that befits the group.

I also understand that the term svadharmA in the context of meditation, applies to the duty of watching one's own breath and through that process become aware of the indwelling Self.

Re: Dharma Drama

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Vajradhara
    Dharma is derived from the Sanskrit root dhr meaning to hold up, to carry, to bear, to sustain. The word dharma refers to that which upholds or sustains the universe.
    metta,

~v
    Hello and Namaste Vajradhara,
    Yes, this is what I too have been taught... that which upholds. For some reason it evolved to 'duty' which to me is not the best fit of this most important concept. It is my firm belief that when kavaliya unfolds, then this dharma is in full blossom within the sadhu, as s/he works at holding and sustaining this creation as doing His work.

Note the additional ways of considering dharma:
    · Varna asrama dharma - ones specific dharm/duty for various stages of life, bramachara, householder, sanyas, etc.
    · Sanatana dharma - the eternal dharm of upholding creation
    · Apad dharma - dharm prescribed at time of adversity
    · Yuga dharma - the dharm fundamental to the 4 yugas, ( sat, treta, dvapa, kali)
    · Sadharana dharma - general obligations of the social individual to uphold within society
    · There is also the notion as I read, that dharma is a specific quality ( visesa-guna) that belongs to the SELF.
    · Others on this post have also talked of dharma as the Dharma chakra pravartana of the wheel of law.

In some cases the selection of action one considers is key - that is, to do what is pleasant vs. what is right. The joy in kavaliya is that both of these are the same Pleasant + right becomes ones actions for the actions are HIS actions , and one serves as HIS dharma. The release of delight ( soma) comes with the 'squeezing' of each action which produces delight.
    I use delight as that is something I can attest/experience. Others may use the term 'bliss' that I cannot get my arms around as yet.

It is my humble belief that this dharma all comes together as satyam-ritam-bharat or the Truth the Right and the Vast.

I respectfully ask from others on this forum for correction and/or advancement in my understanding.
    Last edited by yajvan; 17 September 2006 at 07:52 PM.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information