Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping shivaling at home

Keeping shivaling at home

Namaste,
    I have heard for several years and from several sources now that keeping shivaling at home is not good but I haven't found any reasonable answer for the assertion. What are your thoughts on the matter? Have you kept one in your home shrine?
    satay

Re: Keeping shivaling at home

Vannakkam: Yes, Satay, I keep one. So far, so good. I also have no idea where these 'restrictions' came from, but I have my suspicions.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Namaste,
    I have heard for several years and from several sources now that keeping shivaling at home is not good but I haven't found any reasonable answer for the assertion. What are your thoughts on the matter? Have you kept one in your home shrine?
    Namaste satay

The most palpable reason could be that we might, in the razzle dazzle of our daily affairs,forget to give the due worship/respect a shiva linga deserves. Besides that i think Lord Shiva even accepted the meat offering made by Bhakta Kannappa who was Arjuna in his previous incarnation. So there would be no offense on our part to keep a representation of Him in our shrine. I personally have rudrakshas and shivalinga and shaligramas in my shrine. The things that i experienced after i started worshipping them together are subjugation of senses and increased awareness besides success in my profession in this material realm.
    I always make sure i remove the flowers that i offer in the morning in the night before i go to sleep everyday. One day i knew i would be late so i asked my mother to close the doors of the shrine. I went straight to the bed that night and i had a dream where i saw a big red rose flanked two datura flowers on the floor of my shrine. I immediately woke up and realized it was 4am in the morning. I then went to clean my shrine and to my wonder i saw the three flowers on the floor exactly the way i had seen them in my dream.

There are many subtle experiences that i had. And whenever i feel like meditating in front of the linga i would automatically be let off my hospital hours early due to some reason or the other and i started to have more time for spirituality from the day i started worshipping parad shivalinga and rudrakshas.
    Last edited by ganeshamylord; 06 July 2014 at 02:48 PM.

Namaste,

I have heard the same said regarding murties of ugra-devatas such as Kali, Narasimha, etc. - "ferocious" deities, but less so with a lingam. I do not keep any ugra-devatas at home (in murti form, only pictures), but I do keep a lingam. I use it regularly in my sadhana and have experienced no problems.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Namaste,
    Namaste Satay ji,

My family is worshiping 5 devatA-s (Panchdev puja). There is a tradition of worshiping natural stones rather than images. We have Shiva Linga as one of 5 deities and daily worship it since quite a few generations.

I do not think that keeping Shiva Linga has any kind of malice effect. It is all superstition. People also say that 'do not completely read Mahabharata, else peace in your house will be disturbed'. Is there any truth in this belief?

Shiva Linga is the representation of formless brahman and all devatA-s are said to be inside Shiva Linga. If you have noted it is always called as Shiva Linga and not Shankara Linga or Rudra Linga.

I have not come across any scriptural pramANa supporting this belief.

Shiva means auspiciousness. Hence nothing inauspicious will happen

Shiva Linga and Shiva is connected with the most holy sound OM.

Shiva is not 'angry' or 'ferocious' deity. Rudra may be taken as ferocious deity and hence we chant Sri Rudram to pacify him. Rudra means taker / remover of sorrows.

Shiva Linga is symbolic expression of all the deities and represents NirguNa Brahman (formelss Brahman)

Origin of Shiva Linga in Linga Purana

Namah Shivaya
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Instead of keeping a stone or metal shivling its better to keep a Banalinga or a sphatik Linga.Banalinga is Lord Shiva Himself.Thrs no need of any pranapratishta vidhis.Since prana is already there.
    But thrs restriction in regards of the size of the lingam.I think it shud not exceed three fingers breadth of ur hand.Also give due respect to the linga.Place it a clean puja room,do regular pooja atleast wit 5 upacharas.If you cant do this much then its better u do not keep a linga.Just keep a picture of the Lord.

Namaste,
    Namaste Ji,

I think there are no restrictions and Salagramams/Shiva Lingams are always good.

The Shiva Linga is a Syambhu Murthy, it needs to be worshiped according the scriptures.Is is observed that only Brahmins/Shaivas, who are engaged in religious pursuit can perform the complex Pujas as mentioned in the scriptures.Many can't dedicate so much time,probably it is said so to prevent those kind of people from keeping one.

Its very tempting to keep one but I don't.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste,
    Thank you for the responses. I read elsewhere that the restrictions are mentioned in shiv puran. I will have to check that out for myself. In the meantime one time pundit ji at the local temple told me that once done with puja just lightly push the Linga without moving it, thinking of lord shiva and tell him to basically go away as you will not be able to attend to him as prescribed. Then when ready for puja next time, call him to come back and accept the puja!
    satay

I hear there is Lingam we can carry anywhere, just like liontin or anything else ( small ) and we can worship it ....

Dont know this true or not

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Namaste,
    Thank you for the responses. I read elsewhere that the restrictions are mentioned in shiv puran. I will have to check that out for myself. In the meantime one time pundit ji at the local temple told me that once done with puja just lightly push the Linga without moving it, thinking of lord shiva and tell him to basically go away as you will not be able to attend to him as prescribed. Then when ready for puja next time, call him to come back and accept the puja!
    Namaste,

Strange. We never push Shiva.

All these fears may be due to following superstitions.

1. Shiva lives in cremation ground and so he may not be able fulfill worldly desires

2. If you cling to Shiva, then you may not be able to engage in worldly activities.

Namah Shivaya
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Thread Information