Thread: Guidance in choosing a mantra?!

Red Face Guidance in choosing a mantra?!

Fellow reasoning animals,

Can someone give me some guidance with choosing/coming up with a mantra? I wish to reach the summum bonum of existence (I assume that is to realize the Divinity behind this epic drama), and I've heard a mantra can help me with this, but I can't figure out which to chant...

I feel like I can trust Om, but I have big doubts about cult-ish mantras like the Hare Krishna one. I seriously DO NOT want to be mislead or spiritually raped...

Haha ideas?

Thank you so much
    Last edited by ForgivinessMachine; 12 July 2014 at 09:16 PM.

Re: Guidance in choosing a mantra?!

Quote Originally Posted by ForgivinessMachine View Post
    Can someone give me some guidance with choosing/coming up with a mantra? I wish to reach the summum bonum of existence (I assume that is to realize the Divinity behind this epic drama), and I've heard a mantra can help me with this, but I can't figure out which to chant...

I feel like I can trust Om, but I have big doubts about cult-ish mantras like the Hare Krishna one. I seriously DO NOT want to be mislead or spiritually raped...

Haha ideas?

Thank you so much

Namaste Ji,

The kind of mantra you want can be received only from your guru.No one can suggest you any mantra online as they do not know you in person.

But they can suggest simple chants/hymns of the deities you like.

Hare Krishna mantra contains the names of Sri Vishnu.It can not mislead you, provided you receive it and apply it as taught by your Guru.

Please use polite language.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Quote Originally Posted by ForgivinessMachine View Post

Haha ideas?

Thank you so much
    Namaste,

IMHO, OM is not for the beginners. The general approach is trial and error. To which God are you attracted? e.g. if you are attracted towards RAma and Shiva both, then you will have ot try out both.

Please chant OM Namah Shivaya for 10 minutes.
    Next day or after few hours please chant OM Shri Ramachandraya namah

In any one mantra your mind will easily calm. That is the mantra that suits you and you have found you ISTa devatA.

Another way is to gaze the idol or photo of both Rama and Shiva. one after another (but after a gap of few hours). In one form of God your mind will be easily focused than other. Gazing for 5 minutes would be enough. There is no strict rule that you cant close your eyelids. Let thought come, do not force yourself you turn towards mantra. Just ignore thoughts, and relax, keep chanting mantra or keep gazing. While gazing since face has all 5 senses (indriya-s) it is better to gaze.

Please note that gazing is not a type of concentration, it is awareness. You can be aware of the whole face at a time, but if you try to focus, you will be confused as to on which part you will have to focus, left eye, ear, nose, etc. Focus means to pinpoint on any object. Awareness means de-focusing.

Om namah SivAya and OM Sri rAmachandrAya namah are beej mantras. Sri rAma jai rAma jai jai rAma is not a beej mantra. OM Namah ShivAya is a vedic mantra. It is found in Sri Rudram. Beej mantra is considered as more powerful, but it depends which one suits you.

There are no cultist mantra-s. It is the sampradAya-s that try to hijack and copyright them

Hari OM
    Last edited by Amrut; 11 July 2014 at 02:50 AM.
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Amrut View Post
    Namaste,

OM is not for the beginners. The general approach is trial and error.
    In my humble opinion, I would have hoped this post had said In my opinion the general approach is trial and error.

I have found the best approach is working with a teacher/guru/ācārya¹ ... he/she then avoids the error part of the equation.

...when you do not know where you are going , then any road will take you there.

iti śiva

1. ācārya - knowing or teaching the ācāra or rules ; a spiritual guide or teacher
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

In my humble opinion, I would have hoped this post had said In my opinion the general approach is trial and error.

I have found the best approach is working with a teacher/guru/ācārya¹ ... he/she then avoids the error part of the equation.

...when you do not know where you are going , then any road will take you there.

iti śiva

1. ācārya - knowing or teaching the ācāra or rules ; a spiritual guide or teacher
    Namaste,

I agree. Mistake on my part. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

Hari OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Thread Information