Thread: HDF rules

HDF rules

Namaste new members,

Once again this is a reminder that you should follow the rules of HDF when posting. Click on the 'Rules/FAQ' on the top toolbar. Read the core intentions first then the specific requirements.

I wish I had all the time in the world to edit and clean your posts and threads but unfortunately I don't. I am assuming that you are an adult who can follow simple structured instructions. If you are unable to follow, I will simply redirect you out of HDF.

Thanks for your attention.
    satay

Re: HDF rules

Namaste Sir,

Having experience in being banned, I only offer 1 thing, since I noticed this thread to be in the 'Feedback' section. When I was banned, I was initially told, "I was not adding any value to HDF" (which I understood that my posts were not of good quality in your judgement) and given a 'permanent banning' (being banned first time at that). Later when I re-requested membership, you had stated "that you had received lots of complaints on me and that you did not have time to review them all". This made me reflect a lot on my posts here, and I felt that complaints would have emerged on my post on 'Ganapathi puja in Vaishnavism' - not that Sri Vaishnavas worship Sri Ganapathi but for me to have brought this out as a main topic is indeed of bad taste, I still apologize for that. But upon further inspection, I was clueless why my posts seemed to 'not add any value', afterall, not everyone is expected to be well-versed in scriptures, etc, and everyone, at whatever level their intellectual capacity is, can enjoy posting and being part of discussions on a board that is dedicated to Sanathan Dharma, as long as they are genuine members of Hinduism. Therefore based on this experience, I only offer that:

1. One or more specific threads be stated the reason why someone is being banned - this is to give them an opportunity to improve.

2. To give them an opportunity to improve - for example, it had never been an interest to me to disrupt to the normal flow of conversations here or to malign HDF's interests or any of its members. So to me, permanent banning seemed too severe and unreasonable. Perhaps being banned for a month or two would have seemed appropriate, but that said, I felt happy when my request for a renewed membership was granted immediately by you - I appreciate it.

So that's all I want to say - hope you will give consideration to what I have to say here.

Thanks and regards.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Namaste Sir,

But upon further inspection, I was clueless why my posts seemed to 'not add any value', afterall, not everyone is expected to be well-versed in scriptures, etc, and everyone, at whatever level their intellectual capacity is, can enjoy posting and being part of discussions
    Let me offer this for one's kind consideration. I use your comments to offer a point, and not to suggest that you have not added value.

Adding value does not (always) mean being well versed in scriptures. It includes ( but not limited to ) asking good questions, uplifting questions.
    Questions that may promote the conversation overall. It suggests one is following the conversation and comprehending what is being communicated.
    It also infers that when one is not comprehending what is being discussed, insightful ways to ask more questions to bring out more knowledge is adding value.

It is always easy to dis-agree ( again not directed at you ) ... but to do this in a manner that then advances the conversation e.,g. I dis-agree ( or I have another view) on this idea and here's why -1,2,3. What do you think of these points ? Are they on target or do you think I have taken certain liberties in my understanding? You see, dis-agreeing is fine; being combative changes the tone and increases the angst within the conversation at hand.

Adding value also means adding clarity. Example: Bill-ji I see your point, but perhaps you are saying this ( ________________ fill in your point) -or- maybe I have mis-read what you meant , is it this (_________).

Knowing when to say nothing is also at times adding value by not fueling the fire.

All these ideas , and many more can be considered value add. What does not add value is a cut and paste of a sahita, śloka, or śāstra with no context, with no comment or translation or how it applies to the conversation. The author infers that the reader will 'get it' and know how to apply it to the present conversation. This happens more often then not and is a de-valued offer at best.

Another ( that does not add value) is asking questions without giving your point of view on the matter. Even if you do not know the answer one can say: Here is my understanding on this subject ( how ever limited) , how do others view this ? - OR - I have doubts on this subject - I take it to mean this (______________ fill in the blank) but am not sure this is the right orientation.

Last, another that adds zero value is mischief making. Done to stimulate competitive views with no real earnest request or question. This is the beginning of jalpa ( dispute). This was very in vogue some years back. Many a fine author has left HDF due to this mischief. Others stayed and continued. That is why many here are sensitive about behaviors, quality posts, the minimization of jalpa, etc. and the efforts to make HDF a noble place for the highest knowledge ( including questions ) to be discussed.

iti śiva
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thank you, Yajvan ji. Appreciate your feedback. I will keep your good recommendations in mind when I make posts here.

Pranam.

namaste viraja,

I can't discuss specifics of banning in your case as this thread is for different topic but I will comment on your two points.

Both are good points and have been considered before. However, in the past and even now, I don't feel it is necessary for the mods to explain their decision.

The rules are clearly stated and a lot of effort went into creating those rules. If a member (not you) cannot read, comprehend and respect them then HDF is not a place for them.

There are literally thousands of forums on the Internet for chit chat, in fighting and for India and hindu bashing. It is much easier for me to redirect those members out of here instead of wasting everyone's time trying to improve their behaviour. I have found that I cannot change people's behaviour so trying to make them improve just wastes time. It know it sounds harsh and perhaps unhindu way but it is just the way HDF operates.

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Namaste Sir,

Having experience in being banned, I only offer 1 thing, since I noticed this thread to be in the 'Feedback' section. When I was banned, I was initially told, "I was not adding any value to HDF" (which I understood that my posts were not of good quality in your judgement) and given a 'permanent banning' (being banned first time at that). Later when I re-requested membership, you had stated "that you had received lots of complaints on me and that you did not have time to review them all". This made me reflect a lot on my posts here, and I felt that complaints would have emerged on my post on 'Ganapathi puja in Vaishnavism' - not that Sri Vaishnavas worship Sri Ganapathi but for me to have brought this out as a main topic is indeed of bad taste, I still apologize for that. But upon further inspection, I was clueless why my posts seemed to 'not add any value', afterall, not everyone is expected to be well-versed in scriptures, etc, and everyone, at whatever level their intellectual capacity is, can enjoy posting and being part of discussions on a board that is dedicated to Sanathan Dharma, as long as they are genuine members of Hinduism. Therefore based on this experience, I only offer that:

1. One or more specific threads be stated the reason why someone is being banned - this is to give them an opportunity to improve.

2. To give them an opportunity to improve - for example, it had never been an interest to me to disrupt to the normal flow of conversations here or to malign HDF's interests or any of its members. So to me, permanent banning seemed too severe and unreasonable. Perhaps being banned for a month or two would have seemed appropriate, but that said, I felt happy when my request for a renewed membership was granted immediately by you - I appreciate it.

So that's all I want to say - hope you will give consideration to what I have to say here.

Thanks and regards.
    satay

Thank you, Satay ji. I understand moderating can be a hard task and time consuming, I will keep this in my mind everytime going forth. Thanks for the kind reply. HDF is a good quality board, I enjoy being its participant.

Pranam.

Thread Information