Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DEVI ICONOGRAPHY IMAGE HELP

DEVI ICONOGRAPHY IMAGE HELP

Namaste,

I'm trying to get an image(/a painting) of Devi Parvati/Uma for my Puja altar.My search so far has been unsuccessful as I am not able to find one based on the traditional iconography.Devi is depicted with two hands,of which in one hand she holds a blue lotus(nilotpala).I request members to share images if they have similar ones.Thanks.

Some examples:
    In a temple setting, she would have been draped with silks, adorned with gold and gem-studded jewels and multiple garlands of flowers that would have totally concealed the lines of the sculpture.

He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Re: DEVI ICONOGRAPHY IMAGE HELP

Namaste

Please see this image:

And please see this old reply of mine from January 2014 in the "Sita is Sri Kamakshi Amman" thread of that time:

Quotes: "Shree is Lakshmi, and Bhu is relation to Bhumi. They are not exactly the same, two different manifestations, much like Parvati and Annapurna are two different manifestations of Shakti associated with Shiva." ... "Bhu Devi is the "Earth Born" Devi (on the right). Of course, Sita is also the "Earth Born" Devi. Sita was the consort of Ram."

I too have searched long time ago on information on Parvathi devi (in her 'Parvathi' form and not as Durga or Kali) and could not find much information. The best way to get a picture of her is to be able to go to one of the temples where Parvathi devi is worshiped and get a picture on the outside shops. Here is one such temple (I got details of this temple after looking for 'Neelothpala flower') - http://temple.dinamalar.com/en/new_en.php?id=1574.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    I too have searched long time ago on information on Parvathi devi (in her 'Parvathi' form and not as Durga or Kali) and could not find much information. The best way to get a picture of her is to be able to go to one of the temples where Parvathi devi is worshiped and get a picture on the outside shops. Here is one such temple (I got details of this temple after looking for 'Neelothpala flower') - http://temple.dinamalar.com/en/new_en.php?id=1574.
    Namaste Ji,

Even I am quite surprised,it is difficult
    to find information about Devi Uma Parvati.Devi is mentioned in the Kenopanishad.Since she is an ancient Vedic deity, the Rishis must have worshiped the Devi even before the Upanishad was compiled.

Most contemporary images of Devi Uma Parvati show her with the following features:

1.Holding a Trishula(Trident)
    2.Wearing the moon
    3.Having three eyes
    4.Seated on a Lion Vahana(mount)
    5.Performing Tapas(penance)
    6.Green colored body

I do not know which texts describe her iconography but by reading descriptions given in various museums about the ancient statues of the Goddess I understood the following:

a.She is depicted with two arms
    b.She is holding a blue lotus(Nilotpala)
    c.She is the only female deity(only woman?) shown wearing the Yajnopavita (sacred thread)
    d.She seems like she is meditating/contemplating and
    is of peaceful appearance.
    e.She is relaxed and her posture shows she is at ease.

So I am totally confused whether features mentioned in points
    1-6 and found in today's pictures are depicting Devi Uma Parvati or are they adding her traits from her other forms such as Devi Durga,Devi Simhavahini,Ambika Devi,Devi Maheshwari(/Matruka Sri Maheshwari),Sri Matangi Devi,Sri Lalitha Tripura Sundari Devi etc.

Last edited by Ram11; 25 July 2014 at 11:54 AM.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Sorry Prabhu I misunderstood the question.

Now I see you want a picture of Uma in alignment with aspects you state. I am running around right now about to leave for Hawaii but I always have keen interest in the matters of Devata and Devi representations, incarnations, emanations, manifestations, Their Histories and lineages, the praramparas of sampradayas as well so let me work this one give me a little time I will find you Uma picture with notation. Sorry.

When I saw the examples you shared I was just pointing out the positions, the right verse left arm holding lotus etc. are the classic distinctions between Sri Devi and Bhu Devi both consorts of Vishnu and not Shiva. Also Sri and Bhu are different manifestations but of the same Shakti.

Uma is a manifestation of Parvati directly, but is a manifestation. Let me find for you a picture of Uma approximate to your desire for one of Her presence prior to the events of leelas which the form is more common but not matching your search but I am pretty sure just from my my mind that what you seek and the truth are not exactly the same perfectly and so you might be disappointed. The sister of Ganga is also a leela of Uma, give me a bit of time as I need to go to Hawaii.

Om Namah Sivaya

Prabhu
    Namaste,

I am younger than you Ji,I don't deserve Prabhu.

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    I always have keen interest in the matters of Devata and Devi representations, incarnations, emanations, manifestations, Their Histories and lineages, the praramparas of sampradayas as well
    Me too Ji as these are subjects deserving detailed study and impart a lot of knowledge.

I am sorry I have not followed up yet. I will dedicate time because this also has my attention. Let me say, I have already come to some ideas on this but you may not like what seems to me to be a correct reply. I am carefully reassessing how. A few more days.

The great text 'Soundarya Lahari' verses 41-100 is said to contain description of Parvati Devi's beauty/external features. I presume someone could decipher them to a good artist to construct the picture of 1st ever Parvati Devi! Because I too have searched in vain for Parvati Devi's picture.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

I am sorry I have not followed up yet. I will dedicate time because this also has my attention. Let me say, I have already come to some ideas on this but you may not like what seems to me to be a correct reply. I am carefully reassessing how. A few more days.
    Namaste Ji,

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    The great text 'Soundarya Lahari' verses 41-100 is said to contain description of Parvati Devi's beauty/external features.
    Namaste Ji,

Thanks for mentioning about Soundarya Lahiri.I have seen this book many times but never bought it as the few pages I looked at contained Tantra/Chakra information,it seems this part is known as Ananda Lahari and from the 41st stanza Soundarya Lahiri starts.I saw an online translation,I will purchase one soon.

Because I too have searched in vain for Parvati Devi's picture.

Yes,I request members if possible do help us.

Namaste Ram116040

Well, I admire your earnest to find a traditional art depiction of two armed Uma holding the Lotus (blue) and you are correct in your assessment of original murtis of this form. Yes, like you I am familiar with metal murtis of Uma that pose Her beauty as you seek to admire anr worship.

And like you, I am perplexed to now realize that art of this same in color, is not to be found. Amazing to me, actually. Perhaps there is, but I have failed to find such a treasure. It must be there. Perhaps painted on some temple wall in South India, spared of non-Hindu assault. Perhaps on parchment of native regional tradition. Somewhere. I made a good effort, even checking major libraries that chronicle "Indian Art".

When Parvati holds the Blue Lotus and gestures the Abhaya Mudra, then She has just come out of Meditation and She first wishes to see Shiva. Her wishes are the command of the Universe and come true.

But is there no depiction as you seek in this Universe? For the first time, despite my passion for the history and lineage of the Devatas and Devi, I have failed.

But now I am inspired as well. I will continue to look, perhaps it is beyond my reach, but I do have one idea. That I will draw and paint this Figure myself.

Time came and past, I did not find it. Perhaps another member still will, I will be so happy if so. In the meantime, I will draw. But that will take time.

For what it is worth, I do want to mention a Devi to all members, yet another form that needs to be displayed in art.

Have you heard of Ashoka Sundari? I may have failed in finding this image of Uma, yet perhaps this mention will provide a little forgiveness, because it is very nice.

Ashoka Sundari is the Daughter of the Great Goddess Parvati, Parvati is the Consort of Shiva and Parashakti. However Devi Ashoka Sundari is not directly from Shiva with Parvati as Mother but from the Wishing Tree which the Great Goddess cast Her Vision Upon and Devi said to give Her a Daughter.

Devi as Ashoka Sundari is thus linked to Wishes. She is considered the Daughter of Shiv Parvati.

When Devi is directly on the Side of Shiva, and not Standing on Shiva, She is seen with two arms as many have seen. Now imagine Ashoka Sundari. Ashoka Sundari is Divine Devi emanation. As Daughter when next to Shiva then She has two arms.

So where is Her temple? Where is Her image? What is Her mantra? When is Her time?

Om Namah Sivaya

Thread Information