Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DEVI ICONOGRAPHY IMAGE HELP

Re: DEVI ICONOGRAPHY IMAGE HELP

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    Namaste Ram116040

And like you, I am perplexed to now realize that art of this same in color, is not to be found. Amazing to me, actually. Perhaps there is, but I have failed to find such a treasure. It must be there. Perhaps painted on some temple wall in South India, spared of non-Hindu assault. Perhaps on parchment of native regional tradition.
    Namaste Ji,

Indeed it is really strange that in the land of innumerable temples and paintings Devi Uma Parvati's image is missing.As you say she must be there somewhere,just hidden.

But is there no depiction as you seek in this Universe? For the first time, despite my passion for the history and lineage of the Devatas and Devi, I have failed.

But now I am inspired as well. I will continue to look, perhaps it is beyond my reach, but I do have one idea. That I will draw and paint this Figure myself.

Time came and past, I did not find it. Perhaps another member still will, I will be so happy if so. In the meantime, I will draw. But that will take time.

ShivaFan Ji, I do not consider this as your failure.It is wonderful that you have decided to help us by painting the Goddess yourself.(I did not know you are an artist,if possible can we see your works?)

When Parvati holds the Blue Lotus and gestures the Abhaya Mudra, then She has just come out of Meditation and She first wishes to see Shiva. Her wishes are the command of the Universe and come true.

There are many pictures in the internet that depict the Goddess performing penance to attain Lord Shiva(before the celestial wedding).

I would like to know why the Goddess is said to meditate even after attaining Lord Shiva?

I do not know about Ashoka Sundari Devi.I hope members can shed some light on her.

P.S.There are a few ancient paintings of the Goddess I found during the search but I feel they are inappropriate depictions and not at all suitable for worship or spiritual pursuits.If anyone wants those paintings for purely historical/art information purpose I'll post the links.

He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste,

I am yet to find an image of Devi Uma Parvati.

Recently,I went to a book store and found a copy of Sri Saundarya Lahari.I opened a random page and found this shloka:

(No 92)
    "Thy functionaries Brahma, Vishnu,Rudra and Ishvara have taken the shape of the four legs of Thy cot in order to serve Thee very closely. And Sadashiva has formed Himself into Thy bedspread"

I am confused now,the above verse seems to be taking about the Goddess based on Sri Vidya Sampradaya.Few verses seemed to be about Devi in her two armed form but overall it seems like a Shakta tantric manual.Is Sri Saundarya Lahari about Goddess Uma Parvathi or is it a purely Shakta( i.e. Sri Vidya/Sri Lalitha Maha Tripurasundari Devi) work?

Last edited by Ram11; 16 November 2014 at 08:03 PM.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste,

On the holy occasion of Sri Skanda Shasti,I would like to share this beautiful image I found in the internet of the mother of the universe with her son.

I am not sure if this Devi Uma Parvati or one of the Nava Durgas Sri Skanda Mata Devi but it is excellent.

Dear friends , I remember seeing Parvathi's pictures in old Kalki Tamil magzine long back , that is some 50 years back . If you trace out the issues of Kalki magazine of that time , you could get those pictures , which would help you to get the idols made.

Namaste

It seems you haven't found Ma Uma a.k.a. Parvati because you are searching for a stand-alone image of Her. She is easily found as Parvati, consort of Shiva, and not as Durga, in the image of the whole parivAr (family).

Either Shiv-PArvati
    or Shiv-PArvati-GaNesh
    or Shiv-PArvati-GaNesh-Murugan

Look up at Temple domes, the sculptures just above the main door will typically have either dashAvatAr of VishNu (10 avatArs) or just avatArs, or the Shiva family.

The famous DagDusheTh HalwAi GaNpati temple in Pune has the Shiva family sculpted on top like that.

As far as inside temples, it would be as rare as finding Shivji or even rarer because you do have temples of Shivji in tapascharyA, hence alone.

**Note the diference between worshipping Shakti Devi as a stand-alone devatA versus as a consort of the ShaktimAn.
    VaishNav and VedAntins always recommend worshipping Lakshmi WITH NArAyaN, never as stand-alone Lakshmi.
    The stand-alone Lakshmi puja is for bestowing material benefits (which is more popular and common) or may fall in the shAkta category, but the Lakshmi which accompanies NArAyaN is His alhAdini, and worshipped together will take the sAdhak further on the spiritual pAth towards NArAyaN, and bhakti will grow. It will be nishkAm (without expecting fruits of actions), nischhal (pure, free of any ulterior motives).
    Have also heard of the analogy of the stand-alone Lakshmi as the Lakshmi entering your house from the back door, who may leave anytime (associated with material wealth in any form unless you are a Shri-VidyA upAsak), whereas the Lakshmi-NArAyaN pair enters through the front-door, never to leave.

om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya
    Last edited by smaranam; 24 January 2015 at 08:31 AM.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

P.S. Another place I can think of is the VaishNo-devi Mandir in VRndAvan (supposed to be a modern replica of the original VaishNo-devi). If you go into the cave with waters (simulating the mountain caves), across from the main temple within the premises, you will find the Nav-DurgA mUrtis - very beautiful. One of them is PArvati as PArvati, mother of GaNesh/Skanda.

Images of Parvati

MahaGauri on Nandi
    (Gauri sat on Nandi to travel to Her parents' house for the yadnya in Her birth as Sati)

MahaGauri and Skanda MAtA are 2 out of 9 Durgas -- NavaDurgA

Parvati (with Shiva)

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    Images of Parvati

MahaGauri on Nandi
    (Gauri sat on Nandi to travel to Her parents' house for the yadnya in Her birth as Sati)

MahaGauri and Skanda MAtA are 2 out of 9 Durgas -- NavaDurgA

Parvati (with Shiva)
    Namaste Smaranam Ji,

MahaGauri,Skanda Mata,Sri Durga Devi,Nava Durgas etc. are not exactly Devi Uma Parvati but they aren't different either.

For example,Ramachandra and Sri Krishna are manifestations of Lord Sriman Narayana.The avatars do not have same form as Lord Maha Vishnu but they are not completely different from Him.

In the same way Nava Durgas etc . are forms of the Devi yet their worship is a big system by itself.

The difference to be noted is that scriptures say that there are three modes of worship
    1.Sattvic
    2.Rajasic
    3.Tamasic

It is based on the nature of the devotee and
    there are different forms of Devi corresponding to the Gunas.

I read that for a Sattvic mind the form to be contemplated is that of the two armed Goddess Uma Parvati,wherein one arm holds a lotus.

I hope this explains why I am searching for this particular form though images of other popular forms are easily available.

CLARIFICATION
    :I feel some misunderstanding may result from the above the statements.
    The above should not be misinterpreted as "only worship of two armed Devi is Sattvic and the others are not".Let me be very clear that all modes of worship,Sattvic,Rajasic and Tamasic are valid based on the tradition.Worship of all forms of the Devi are equally valid based on the aspirant.
    My preference for a particular form of the Devi does not imply that it is applicable for all.
    Last edited by Ram11; 24 January 2015 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Clarification

Ram, I am still surprised that you cannot find Parvati. If you have read my earlier post, I said you will find Her WITH Shiva, not alone. So why not with Shiva? This is why I explained the difference between stand-alone Lakshmi and Lakshmi-NArAyaN. Worshipping Shakti stand-alone versus with ShaktimAn.

Have you not seen huge sculptures, pictures and also ceramic statues (even puja size) of Shiva - Parvati or Shiva - Parvati with Ganesh in lap ?

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    Ram, I am still surprised that you cannot find Parvati. If you have read my earlier post, I said you will find Her WITH Shiva, not alone. So why not with Shiva? This is why I explained the difference between stand-alone Lakshmi and Lakshmi-NArAyaN. Worshipping Shakti stand-alone versus with ShaktimAn.

Have you not seen huge sculptures, pictures and also ceramic statues (even puja size) of Shiva - Parvati or Shiva - Parvati with Ganesh in lap ?
    Namaste,

I agree with what you say about Sri Shiva-Parvati or Sri Lakshmi-Narayana.
    But I mentioned in the OP itself that I am looking for

one based on the traditional iconography

There is a way of painting images or making statues based on the scriptures.Please go through the list
    in OP of some features of the Devi I observed in ancient images.

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...97&postcount=1

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...14&postcount=4

So far I haven't found even a Shiva-Parvati pair in which Devi Uma Parvati's image conforms to descriptions mentioned in the Shastras.

Thread Information