Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preparing for a Pilgrimage

Preparing for a Pilgrimage

Namaste,

I know it's been a little while since my last proper post here on HDF. Time has a way of running away with itself these days, which is a pity because I still love reading and participating in the discussions on these boards. I really hope I can find more time in the future for it as I make a better effort to become a better Hindu. I won't go into too much tedious detail. The latter part of last year was a little hard for me emotionally. Two people very close to me were having health problems, one of whom ended up in 3 month spell in hospital. I realise people get grievously sick, and even die, everyday around the world and I should count my blessings those were not the deaths of family or friends I had to go through last year, but I suppose you could say this is the first major experience in this lifetime.

To make a long story short, both have recovered, albeit slowly. There are good days and bad days, still. Prayer and focus on God got me through a bit of a depressive spell, something I had not experienced since I was a lost and very spiritually confused teenager.

I feel a great yearning now to go and show God and myself I'm still serious about living a Hindu life and making room and time for japa, spiritual study and bhakti yoga. As yet - if you can believe it - I still have not gone to the Ganesha temple in my city. It is less than 20 minutes away by car but anxiety and fear of rejection by the regular devotees has made me put off each visit to another more "appropriate" time for the non-Indian girl who looks like she might have stumbled into the community hall by accident.

And so I've decided to leap right in and go on a pilgrimage, once again something I have wanted to do for the last 2 years but "never got around to doing". No more excuses. I've already arranged accommodation for 3 days visit to the Skanda Vale (also known as the Community of the Many Names of God): http://www.skandavale.org/, where Murugan is the main and presiding Deity of this beautiful part of Wales, UK.

Having read through their instructions and FAQs, I already have the basics in mind. Bring modest clothing, sensible shoes for walking around temples, hundi in a sealed unmarked envelope, timed the trip so it's not inappropriate for me to be inside the temples, food offerings for at least one of the pujas. I also intend to undergo a completely sattvic diet 1 week before arrival - no onions, garlic, etc.

However, the truth is even though I have my own altar at home and I know how pujas work, I'm actually a complete newbie in the reality of it. I have never set foot in a Hindu temple before. It seems rather fitting that it is Skanda's mandir, Lord of Yoga and spiritual instruction, where I am first going to enter and worship communally with other Hindus (after a prayer to Sri Ganesha at his shrine first, of course). I really want this visit to inspire a new resolve in myself to be more forthright in my "Hinduness". When people ask why I'm vegetarian, my answer is going to be fully truth - "I'm a Hindu/I observe ahimsa" and not some vague answer about ethical treatment of animals and fish. I also really hope that by receiving Sri Murugan's darshan I am going to be blessed with a fearlessness in living my religion to others (Hindus and non-Hindus, Indians and non-Indians alike), and also going to my local temple daily, weekly, monthly, whatever it takes to prove that I am serious as a Hindu and that I take my spirituality seriously, not just think and read books about it.

Is there any advice or suggestions anyone has to offer with regards to a) going on a pilgrimage, and b) going to a Hindu temple for the first time? Have you any stories to share about any special trips you made recently, or if you are considering to make a pilgrimage as well? Please do share!

I'm actually rather excited at knowing I am going to be there in less than a month's time! The day I arrive there will happen to be a special monthly puja for Maha Saraswati, which is rather a happy coincidence as I am starting my new college course later the following month. I fully intend to make the best use of my time whilst I'm there.

Om namah Shivaya
    Last edited by sunyata07; 28 July 2014 at 12:08 PM.
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Re: Preparing for a Pilgrimage

Vannakkam: Hope you have a great inner time.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Ji,

I hope you are feeling better now.

I wish you a happy journey and pray that your at stay at the temple should be fruitful.

He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste,

This link might help,

http://hindudharmaforums.com/showpos...5&postcount=15

Additionally, to make the first trip to your local mandir less stressful, visit during off peak hours when there is no puja going on and there are practically no people there. Usually mandirs with sizable Indian population are open from 8 AM to noon and then in the evening during week days. If you can, going there around 10 AM or maybe 6 PM would be a good introduction. Second visit could be during the evening aarti time, around 7 PM (you could ask the pujari when you go there for the first visit) when there will be very few people there. That should prepare you for the Sunday puja/aarti, which most temples conduct either around noon or in the evening around 6 PM (again have to find out from the pujari). This gradual phasing into the temple routine will make it easy for you deal with your apprehensions. And do partake in the prasad/prasadam at their weekly Sunday puja. Best wishes.

Pranam.

Namaste Sunyata,

Have a wonderful darshan of Sri Murugan! (And do let us know how pleasant the first trip to a temple had been!)

Best wishes,

Viraja
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Vannakkam: I googled it with google maps 'Get directions' . A nice little 6 hour drive by car. Lots of time to reflect on why you're going. I revere the opportunity to pilgrimage.. drop the mundane to focus on God. We're so lucky, those of us who take advantage of it in meaningful ways.

Aum Namasivaya

Pranam

Skanda vale is a beautiful temple set in a remote country side in whales.
    The temple has quite a few shrines, set in vast land, off course the main temple being of Murgan at the bottom as you make the entrance. The other attraction is Kali Kali temple set on the top of the hill about half an hour walk there is a small jeep service for those who are frail, old or disabled person. There are few ponds one of the temple is set in what made out look like an island, here there are many deities it's an open air settings.
    There is another pond has few ducks but the main attraction being black swans.

They serve beautiful parsad, many people take vegetables and fruit for offering.
    Community is made up of mix race mainly westerners, so you would not feel out of place there, in any case you should be able to feel comfortable entering any Hindu temple specially in the west.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Namaste Believer, thanks for your suggestions. I was toying with this idea of dropping in during the quiet times at first in Ganesha's temple and then appearing as more of a frequent face amongst the congregation. Good idea! Also, I got in touch with the temple committee and enquired if it would be ok with the other devotees for a non-born Hindu to join in prayers, etc. and he has said I'd be more than welcome (promising way of phrasing "ok"!) and assured me I would not be the first or only westerner to drop by.

EM, I actually have you to thank for alerting me to the existence of this beautiful retreat. If there is a murti of Murugan available I hope to purchase one for home worship - His image is nowhere as prevalent as Ganesha's for some reason. 6 hours must be nothing compared to a pilgrimage to the many holy spots in Mother India! One step at a time, though. Maybe next year, only God can tell.

Ganeshprasad, thanks for post. Have you visited this retreat before? I believe the local populace call it the Community of the Many Names of God and it does describe itself as being a multi-faith centre which is what made me feel less nervous about visiting for the very first time to what is actually a Hindu retreat. I think the outdoors aspect of it is what appeals very much to me. Before I had discovered Sanatana Dharma, I found I was doing most prayer out of doors during long walks, stargazing, etc. so I imagine it will fit me just fine.

I might leave a post here when I return from Wales.

Thanks for all your thoughts and support.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Vannakkam: This place http://www.ivt.ie/ seems to have gotten more organised since I last looked in. Open daily is a huge step. Maybe they hired a priest.

Aum Namasivaya

Awesome! I am so happy for you! <3 <3

Now, I only have one bit of advice, because our Temple here is very unusual here and most of the rules here wouldn't be applicable.

So here goes.

The clear liquid is to wash your hands (accept right on top of left cupped).
    The yellow is to drink, the left over...wiped over your head (accept right on top of left cupped).

Not sure how helpful even that advice would be abroad. But, you have no idea how many times I have seen folks drink the hand wash.

Goodly thing the kindly Pujari always whispering how to manage.

Have a wonderful, blessed time! <3

Thread Information