Re: Analysis of the name 'nArAyanA' for Sri Vishnu

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

one other view...

The name nārāyaṇa.
    nār +āya + a can be looked at in multiple ways...let me offer one :

nāra + āya + ṇa
    • nāra = relating to or proceeding from men , human , mortal ( note nār¹ below)
    • āya =arrival , approach
    • ṇa = nirvṛti = emancipation , mokṣa, liberation or nirvāṇa ; it too is behind the etymology of kriṣṇa
    So what does this nāra + āya + ṇa dissection tell us ? Humans are going in the direction of (ayana¹) ṇa , which is mokṣa, which is none other then the abode of nārāyaṇa.

praṇām

words
    • nār is the vṛddhi form of nṛ which is defined as mankind.
    • ayana - way , progress , manner ; course, direction; place of refuge
    Last edited by yajvan; 29 July 2014 at 05:48 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

That is an excellent explanation, Yajvan ji. Thank you.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Namaste,

In another recent thread, one member had noted that the name 'nArAyanA' for Sri Vishnu is inappropriate as it supposedly signified sUrya Bhagwan.

But, on a recent kaalakshepam (spiritual discourse), I have heard of the following explanation for the name 'nArAyanA' as being that of Sri Vishnu's:

nAr - means water.

ayanA - means 'seat'.

Thus, Sri Vishnu who is seated on water (lying down on a seat of AdiSesha atop water) is thus 'Sriman nArAyanA'.

So we can see that this way, nArAyanA only refers to Sri Vishnu and not to Surya.

I welcome learned members opinion and clarifications on the same.

Thanks and regards.

EDIT: One can remember the famous 'Narayana Ashtakshari Mantra' that has been around since the beginning of Sanathana Dharma itself - 'Om Namo Narayanaya Namaha'. And of the presence of a form of Narayana - Sri Satyanarayana Swami - surely, Narayana then cannot be an ambiguous name to denote both Sri Vishnu as well as Sri Surya, is it not?
    Namaste,

The meaning you gave about Narayana that it means the one who sits on Water is given in Vishnu Purana, where it quotes rishis like Manu in skandha 1. It is mostly in adhyaya one.

There are other meanings of Narayana as mentioned by Yajvan ji.

Like in which all things lie, acsend or gatI of jIva towards ISvara / Brahman. Perhaps Yajvan ji can explain in a better way.

OM
    Hari OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Namaste,

I found the said Gayathri in one of the versions of Taittiriya Aranyaka of
    Taittiriya Krishna Yajur Veda but not at the same place as the Narayana Sukta.

Reference:
    Gayathri
    Narayana Sukta

I think the issue is settled.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram116040 View Post
    Namaste,

I found the said Gayathri in one of the versions of Taittiriya Aranyaka of
    Taittiriya Krishna Yajur Veda but not at the same place as the Narayana Sukta.

Reference:
    Gayathri
    Narayana Sukta

I think the issue is settled.
    Namaste Ram ji,

I think you are saying that you found reference in Taittiriya Krishna Yajur Veda where Sri Mahavishnu is referred to as Sriman Narayana?

Can you kindly post the said verse for everyone's clarity? (Sorry for the bother).

Thanks,

Viraja

Namaste Ram ji,

I think you are saying that you found reference in Taittiriya Krishna Yajur Veda where Sri Mahavishnu is referred to as Sriman Narayana?

Can you kindly post the said verse for everyone's clarity? (Sorry for the bother).

Thanks,

Viraja
    Namaste Ji,

It is the same verse that was quoted by a member,I found it in the
    Taittiriya Aranyaka of the Krishna Yajur Veda .

Om nArAyaNAya vidmahe vAsudevAya dhImahi
    tanno vishNu pracodayAt

He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Thank you, Ram ji. Much appreciated.

Namaste,

There was some recent interest again regarding nArAyaNa, sUrya nArAyaNa, rAm nArAyaNa, and even satya nArAyaNa. I see this thread best fit for expressing my view in addition to the post#3 here.

If we try to go deeper into the famed "nara, nArAyaNa, hari, krishNa" found in the purANa-s, by comparing with the mahAmantra "hare krishNa hare krishNa.." we find that hari and krishNa are common to both listing.

nara is nothing but the divine human inflated within us. So we are left with the word nArAyaNa being same as the name rAma of the mahAmantra.

Sri rAma - the superhero of rAmAyaNa, when exhausted in the war against rAvaNa, was advised to worship Sri sUrya (in Aditya stotram) in order to regain strength by tapping into His very own source (sUrya).

But do I mean then that Sri rAma was an incarnation of sUrya deva, and not vishNu?

No. karNa in the mahAbhArata was a manifestation of sUrya. But when we talk about avatAra, we say: "shri rAma was vishNu's avatAra in the mode of sUrya." We can, otherwise, find many similarities between karNa and shri rAma. But karNa wasn't an avatAra. People in the anga-pradesha even to this day remember the rule of karNa as fondly as the rest of Hindus remember the rAma-rAjya.

Now someone talked about satya-nArAyaNa pUjA. Well, this pUjA or this deity isn't attested in any traditional text or sampradAya. There has already been some research that confirms that satya-nArAyaNa is actually satya-pIra (pIra as in fakeer, sai, sUfI etc) and is a corrupt practice originating in Bengal-Orissa under Mugal influence. One can google "satya pira", or check this link. However, I am no one to pass a judgement here.
    Things to remember:

1. Life = yajña
    2. Depth of Āstika knowledge is directly proportional
    to the richness of Sanskrit it is written in
    3. Āstika = Bhārata ("east") / Ārya ("west")
    4. Varṇa = tripartite division of Vedic polity
    5. r = c. x²
    where,
    r = realisation
    constant c = intelligence
    variable x = bhakti

Oh wow! That is new info, Kali ji!

I have a small yearbook printed to celebrate the 10th anniversary of some temple and it has the material on how to do Satyanarayana Puja. It says, Skanda purana/rEva kaanda speaks about Satyanarayana Puja. And it says, that this puja is famous at AP and Karnataka sides and that there is a grantha published in Karnataka sides called 'Sateegaavradha Ratnam' which gives this puja procedures!

Besides somewhere I read that after Ramavatara, Sri Rama's amsa combined with equal parts of Shiva and Brahma amshas to give Sri Satyanarayana murthi!

Hope this puja is for real! I do it every month...

Oh wow! That is new info, Kali ji!

I have a small yearbook printed to celebrate the 10th anniversary of some temple and it has the material on how to do Satyanarayana Puja. It says, Skanda purana/rEva kaanda speaks about Satyanarayana Puja. And it says, that this puja is famous at AP and Karnataka sides and that there is a grantha published in Karnataka sides called 'Sateegaavradha Ratnam' which gives this puja procedures!

Besides somewhere I read that after Ramavatara, Sri Rama's amsa combined with equal parts of Shiva and Brahma amshas to give Sri Satyanarayana murthi!

Hope this puja is for real! I do it every month...
    Namaste,

I was thinking of mentioning this and Viraja Ji did.

Also,there is a famous ancient Sri Satyanarayana Swamy temple in Annavaram in Andhra Pradesh.Here the Lord has a mustache.There is a temple in Tiruvallikeni(Chennai) of Lord Parthasarathi(Sri VenkataKrishna Swamy) and he also has a mustache.These two are unique Kshetras where the Lord is shown like that.

P.S. Viraja Ji,the puja is 100% real,I am sure it is.Please don't have any doubts.

Thread Information