Thread: Who is Goddess Narayani?

Who is Goddess Narayani?

Namaste,

I was reading a commentary on the popular Devi Sahasranama(LS).In that for the name Narayani Devi,explanation was given as - the sister of Sri Narayana i.e. Devi Uma Parvati.I was surprised as I assumed Devi Narayani to be Devi Lakshmi.Sri Vishnu's shakti is Vaishnavi Devi,Brahma's shakti is Brahmani Devi,so in the same way I felt it for Narayani Devata.But I am wrong as few other books also give the same meaning.Can members explain why Narayani Devi is Devi Uma Parvati and not Devi Lakshmi?

He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Re: Who is Goddess Narayani?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram116040 View Post
    Namaste,

I was reading a commentary on the popular Devi Sahasranama(LS).In that for the name Narayani Devi,explanation was given as - the sister of Sri Narayana i.e. Devi Uma Parvati.I was surprised as I assumed Devi Narayani to be Devi Lakshmi.Sri Vishnu's shakti is Vaishnavi Devi,Brahma's shakti is Brahmani Devi,so in the same way I felt it for Narayani Devata.But I am wrong as few other books also give the same meaning.Can members explain why Narayani Devi is Devi Uma Parvati and not Devi Lakshmi?

Dear sir, I will answer with the best of my knowledge.

Narayani means "one who is related" to Narayana, and in this case, his sister. This is a reference to when Durga helped Lord Krishna during the time of his birth. Because of her service, Lord Krishna awarded Durgaji with this title.
    Regards

Namaste,

Namaste,

The answer is given by Kanchi Paramacharya (KP) in the book, ' The Guru Tradition'. KP refers to markendeya purana. The answer is connected to trinity and why Brahma though a part of trinity is not worshiped. The answer is too long and I will have to find my book.

To cut short, I will try to answer in brief, recollecting from my memory.

Brahma and Laxmi are brother sister --> Both are seated on lotus and are of golden complexion or red complexion.

Vishnu and Kali are bro-sis --> Bot hare dark / black complexion.

Siva and Sarasvati are bro-sis --> Both represent Jnana, have veena, and are of white complexion.

If there were only Shiva and Vishnu there will be mere exchange of sisters.

KP says that Since shiva represents Jnana and Jnana cannot be divided, so Shiva cannot produce Brahma.

Vishnu has a job of sustainence and creation is needed to sustain, hence Vishnu created Brahma. He shared his work with Brahma ji. In the same way, Vishnu shared bestowing prosperity and wealth to Laxmi. (Jnana can exist / remain independently)

Now since there are 3 of them, Brahma can offer his sister Laxmi to Vishnu, Vishnu can offer his sister (Kali / Parvati) to Shiva and Shiva can offer his sister Saraswati to Brahma.

I dont know how much you will be convinced. I will try to fetch that book and if possible, type his answer, but this may take some time.

Honeslty, I was never much fond of puranas and so I didnt give much thought into such matters. I dont rely on Puranas for my spiritual progress, Gita and Mandukya are the main.

OM
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Sri Vishnu's shakti is Vaishnavi Devi,Brahma's shakti is Brahmani Devi,so in the same way I felt it for Narayani Devata.
    Namaste,

Incidentally, VaishNavI or VaishNo Devi is also UmA or DurgA The famous VaishNo-Devi of the North, who is now in Her new temple in VRndAvan in the form of BAl KRshNa's sister SubhadrA.

sarva-mangal mAngalye
    shive sarvArtha sAdhike
    sharaNye trayambike gauri
    nArAyaNi namostute

The all-auspicious, One who spreads auspiciousness,
    pure (shivA), Who attains ultimate absolute [purpose] and whom people worship to attain that ultimate (sarvArtha)
    One to be surrendered to, Who is a shelter to many,
    the One with three eyes or the mother of three,
    Gauri, the fair daughter of HimAlaya (HimaGauri)
    The external potency of Narayan (and His sister)
    Salutations to You (namostute)
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Quote Originally Posted by Amrut View Post

Namaste,

The answer is given by Kanchi Paramacharya (KP) in the book, ' The Guru Tradition'. KP refers to markendeya purana. The answer is connected to trinity and why Brahma though a part of trinity is not worshiped. The answer is too long and I will have to find my book.

To cut short, I will try to answer in brief, recollecting from my memory.

Brahma and Laxmi are brother sister --> Both are seated on lotus and are of golden complexion or red complexion.

Vishnu and Kali are bro-sis --> Bot hare dark / black complexion.

Siva and Sarasvati are bro-sis --> Both represent Jnana, have veena, and are of white complexion.

If there were only Shiva and Vishnu there will be mere exchange of sisters.

KP says that Since shiva represents Jnana and Jnana cannot be divided, so Shiva cannot produce Brahma.

Vishnu has a job of sustainence and creation is needed to sustain, hence Vishnu created Brahma. He shared his work with Brahma ji. In the same way, Vishnu shared bestowing prosperity and wealth to Laxmi. (Jnana can exist / remain independently)

Now since there are 3 of them, Brahma can offer his sister Laxmi to Vishnu, Vishnu can offer his sister (Kali / Parvati) to Shiva and Shiva can offer his sister Saraswati to Brahma.

I dont know how much you will be convinced. I will try to fetch that book and if possible, type his answer, but this may take some time.

OM
    Namaste Ji,

This is an interesting theory but then it implies that the other Devis too need to be named after theirs brothers,right?
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Quote Originally Posted by ameyAtmA View Post
    Namaste,

Incidentally, VaishNavI or VaishNo Devi is also UmA or DurgA .
    Namaste Ji,

Hmm,is Vaishno Devi Matruka Vaishnavi Devi(Sri Vishnu's shakti Vaishnavi Devi)?

The famous VaishNo-Devi of the North, who is now in Her new temple in VRndAvan in the form of BAl KRshNa's sister SubhadrA.
    Ji, I am not able to understand what you meant?
    I wonder why Subhadra Devi was deified,she is also found in the triad of Puri Sri Jagannath.

I think it becomes important to separate the literal from the metaphor.

In ancient cultures it was very common to describe one person with a range of metaphors.

In that sense, Babe Ruth, the baseball player, was called "The Babe," "The Sultan of Swat" and many other monikers.

When referring to God, we can refer to God as "The Destroyer/Transformer" (Shiva), or to God as "The Creator/Preserver" (Brahma) or to God as the manifestation of love (Vishnu). But they are not three separate beings.

They are one Being, referenced through different aspects.

The cosmology of gods references beings in the inner world...from God Himself, through the range of archangels, angels of various rank in hierarchy, down to much lower beings.

Sri Chinmoy on the Cosmic Gods

http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/dan...he-cosmic-gods

(In 2007, Sri Chinmoy was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize by Archbishop Desmond Tutu and former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev. Sri Chinmoy conducted meditations at the United Nations for about 30 years and at the US Congress for about 20 years.)

Namaste Ji,

Hmm,is Vaishno Devi Matruka Vaishnavi Devi(Sri Vishnu's shakti Vaishnavi Devi)?

Ji, I am not able to understand what you meant?
    I wonder why Subhadra Devi was deified,she is also found in the triad of Puri Sri Jagannath.
    Jai Shri KRshNa Jai Shri Ram

VaishNo Devi of the north is DurgA. Remember, the Lord asked YogaMAyA Devi i.e. DurgA to take form as the baby girl to be born to Yashoda, (who slipped form KaMsa's hands and took the 8-armed form.)

BhagvAn had said at the time (of the avatar planning and phasing out) that She will be worshipped ever since as Durga, Kali, AmbikA, ShAradA etc.

Thus, SubhadrA is BhagvAn's internal-external sat (creative) potency - i.e. "internal DurgA". This is His own YogamAyA.

yA devi sarva-bhUteshu Vishnu-mAyeti shabditA
    namastasyai namastasyai namastasyai namo namah:
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Thread Information