Thread: Meaning of scriptures?

Meaning of scriptures?

Hi all,

I have two scriptures from my friend that I need help with their meaning.
    Would appreciate if anyone could help!

1) Om bhagvate rudraye aa drishti leki nahar swaha duwahee kansasur ki joot joot pura mantra iswaro vacca chu

2) Om hum jum sah ardhanarishvarupe phat swaha

Looking forward to your replies

Re: Meaning of scriptures?

Quote Originally Posted by Vieva View Post
    Hi all,

I have two scriptures from my friend that I need help with their meaning.
    Would appreciate if anyone could help!

1) Om bhagvate rudraye aa drishti leki nahar swaha duwahee kansasur ki joot joot pura mantra iswaro vacca chu

2) Om hum jum sah ardhanarishvarupe phat swaha

Looking forward to your replies
    Namaste Ji,

I do not know the meanings of the above words but it seems some words not Sanskrit words.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

hello and namaste
    Oh.. It's ok.. Thanks anyway!

Anyone out there can shed some light for me?
    Last edited by yajvan; 18 August 2014 at 11:30 AM.

Dear Viveka,

These are not scriptures, they are some mantras. But Mantras should not be randomly chosen like this. Much less should they be chosen with words from different languages amalgamated.

Please take a mantra from a good guru who knows the shastras/ vedanta and is well versed in sanskrit and upanishads.

Love!
    Silence
    Come up, O Lions, and shake off the delusion that you are a sheep

Namaste,

Could you tell the source of these mantras?They have certain words from the Vedas,names of Sri Shiva.And Bijaksharas are not like general words,they have esoteric meaning.

I maybe totally wrong but
    Kansasur?

ki,joot,pura,leki aren't these Hindi words?

He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

One needs to be aware that the first initial line that is offered in post 1 above i.e. om namo bhagavate rudraya

This ( in part) comes from śṛi rudram ( some call śṛi rudram namakam or śṛi rudram camakam; camakam is a 2nd hymm and is added for the fullness and completeness of the chanting); this is found in the kṛṣṇa yajur ved , taittiṝīya (taittirīya) saṁhitā 4.5 and 4.7.

The other part of the question 'jum sah' is an abbreviated (seed) part of the - mṛtyuñjayāya¹ mantra. Why call this out ? Because it too ( the full mantra) is found within the śṛi rudram hymm ( 11th anuvāka) .

Last , some of the words (phonemes) used in post one are an approximation for saṃskṛt sound forms:
    • aa = ā = śiva (sound form)
    • drishti = dṛṣṭi = seeing ; it also carries the notion of wisdom , intelligence .
    • etc. etc.
    To recite this total hymm ( and it must be 11 anuvāka-s as rudra's number and association is with 11) is beneficial.
    To guide some one not to dig deeper and study, look and comprehend this great hymm is a blunder.

I will leave it to the reader to do just that and not be ~spoon fed~ . To do their reading and due consideration on this great hymn. To miss this reading as something casual is to confuse a diamond for a peace of coal.

iti śivaṁ

1. mṛtyuñjaya = mṛtyu is death + jaya is conquering or winning. Śiva is hailed as the conqueror of death.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Dear Yajvan ji,
    Namasthe!

Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya,
    "aa" [purnatvam]

This much is fine.
    What else makes you feel that the remaining part of the mantra should also be meaningful ?

A mantra ... is mananat trayate iti mantra ... that which releases one upon contemplation. What is the mananam associated with this mantra ?

"om namo bhagavate rudraya" is self sufficient as a mantra !
    [infact om is also sufficient]

BTW ... do you suggest that the student should go to a guru and get the mantra or dig deeper into the mantra by himself ?

Love!
    Silence
    Come up, O Lions, and shake off the delusion that you are a sheep

Thread Information