Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Ramanama destroys bad karma?

Does Ramanama destroys bad karma?

Namaste all.
    Is true that to do Ramanama destroy bad karma/sins?
    Are there proofs in the scriptures about this?
    Regards,
    Orlando.

On a serious note, I think just receiting won't take away karma though scriptures say so. Perhaves for more practical reasons.

But reading with understanding will surely dispel myths from head and clear up mind. When mind clears up we go a few stp towards development. Can't say it means clear up Karma-but certainly it means self development. And self -development for a long time should make you liberated.

So in a inductive way it does perhaves - my understanding though.

Btw, reading a novel or appreciating a scenic beauty can also help you do this - but only for a transient moment. With texts of ultimate wisdom, such fleeting glimses of reality can be prolonged. perhaves!!

Quote Originally Posted by Singhi Kaya
    On a serious note, I think just receiting won't take away karma though scriptures say so. Perhaves for more practical reasons.

But reading with understanding will surely dispel myths from head and clear up mind. When mind clears up we go a few stp towards development. Can't say it means clear up Karma-but certainly it means self development. And self -development for a long time should make you liberated.

So in a inductive way it does perhaves - my understanding though.

Btw, reading a novel or appreciating a scenic beauty can also help you do this - but only for a transient moment. With texts of ultimate wisdom, such fleeting glimses of reality can be prolonged. perhaves!!
    In that case we do not need all those Vedic mantras anyway as per your logic.

This is usual nonsense(in my opinion) propagated by pseudo people.

Vedas clearly say(in one of the Upanishad) that Jnana is necessary, but they also say that none can reach Moksha without knowing Vedas.

Vedas specify Karmas with a reason.

As far as "Rama Mantra" is concerned it is called Taraka-Brahma-Mantra. It is powerful enough to give Moksha. It is mentioned in Vedas (Jabalopansihad) that Rudra Deva personally gives this mantra to departing souls in Kashi after which they obtain Moksha. You can read more in

Public Username and Password: Dvaita

http://www.dvaita.org/list/list_51/msg00065.html

Quote Originally Posted by rkannan1
    Public Username and Password: Dvaita

http://www.dvaita.org/list/list_51/msg00065.html
    Btw, it's not letting in with that user name and password.

Moderator Note:

This thread has completely turned off topic from the beginning. The question asked by "Bhakta of God" clearly stated he was interested in the effects of "Ramanama" or the chanting of the names of Rama. Two or more of the posts by Singhi Kaya contained personal attacks or were completely off topic including responses by rkannan1. If a person posts a question, please reply with an attempt to answer the question, not to belittle the person who asked the question or change the topic entirely. Also, if a question is unclear, it is best to post a reply asking the person to be more specific. Last but not least, the reason the Username and Password for the dvaita.org forum is not working is because rkannan1 gave the incorrect username and password. The username and password is "dvaita" and is case-sensitive. "Dvaita" is NOT the password or username. They may seem the same to a human's eyes but not to a computer program.

Questions or comments about moderation policy? Please send a private message to Bhakti Yoga Seeker or contact any of the other admins of the website. Namaskaar. ~BYS~

Namaste all.
    I did read the link.
    I am no sure if i had the the answer to my question.
    Ramanama means to recite continually Rama Rama Rama Rama Rama Rama...
    Ramamantra,if I am not wrong,is Om Sri Ramaya Namah.
    My question is about Ramanama.
    Regards,
    Orlando.

Hi

Ramanama indeed destroys bad karma

1. We chant 1008 holy names of god to get rid of Bad karma. Rama Nama is equivalent to 1008 holy names when chanted three times.
    raama raama raamethi rame raame manorame, sahasra naama tattulyam raama naama varaanane

2. In shiva purana it is told that Lord Shiva said Rama nama is tarakamantra , hence it is on par with Ohm (I will describe about this in separate thread if time permits

3. According to Sage Tulasidas, Raam Nam (as said in Hindi) as two parts, first part is Raa,by saying this and opening your mount wide, all inner dirts escapes out and second part M, we close our mouth, so that what ever escaped does not go inside again. This is a Metaphor. One may argue, if at all it may go inside it can go via nose. the idea is not that. Sage clearly says by chanting the name dirts goes out

4. unlike other mantras, Raamanamaa gives fruits even spelled wrongly at the same time instantly. We hear of sage Valmiki saying word Maraa Maraa continuously thus ended up being a sage. This is the clear example of destruction of Karma

hmmm. now i remember the play about valmiki who used tobe a highway man. he robbed and spent it on his subjects. but narada maamuni approaches him oneday and asks who you are going to share your sins with . he asks his parents, friends and his beloved wife. Nobody could take it as your karma will be affecting you only. then he asks narada to find him a way out of his sin. then narada makes him chant maraa maraa. in the play i saw about valmiki, it is said he chanted a tree called maraa. when he said maraa maram maraa maram ( maram means tree in tamil ) he was chanting rama's name.

A keen unwavering thoughtless mind is pure concsiousness

Quote Originally Posted by rkannan1
    In that case we do not need all those Vedic mantras anyway as per your logic.

This is usual nonsense(in my opinion) propagated by pseudo people.

---------

As far as "Rama Mantra" is concerned it is called Taraka-Brahma-Mantra. It is powerful enough to give Moksha. It is mentioned in Vedas (Jabalopansihad) that Rudra Deva personally gives this mantra to departing souls in Kashi after which they obtain Moksha. You can read more in

Chantings, specifically of bija mantras have immense value, but finally to make the mind unwavering. Varuna taught his son Bhrigu that "Concentrated mind is Brahman". Meditation, dhyana, Vichara -- these are the final grace of God.

In Jabalopanishad the following is said:

II-1. Thereafter the sage Atri (son of the creator Brahma) asked of Yajnavalkya: ‘How am I to realize the Self which is infinite and unmanifest ?’ (To this) Yajnavalkya replied: That Avimukta (Lord Siva as the redeemer) is to be worshipped; the Self which is infinite and unmanifest, is established in (i.e., is non-different from) the Avimukta (in Ishvara, possessed of attributes)’.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Bhakti Yoga Seeker
    Moderator Note:

This thread has completely turned off topic from the beginning. The question asked by "Bhakta of God" clearly stated he was interested in the effects of "Ramanama" or the chanting of the names of Rama. Two or more of the posts by Singhi Kaya contained personal attacks or were completely off topic including responses by rkannan1. If a person posts a question, please reply with an attempt to answer the question, not to belittle the person who asked the question or change the topic entirely. Also, if a question is unclear, it is best to post a reply asking the person to be more specific. Last but not least, the reason the Username and Password for the dvaita.org forum is not working is because rkannan1 gave the incorrect username and password. The username and password is "dvaita" and is case-sensitive. "Dvaita" is NOT the password or username. They may seem the same to a human's eyes but not to a computer program.

Questions or comments about moderation policy? Please send a private message to Bhakti Yoga Seeker or contact any of the other admins of the website. Namaskaar. ~BYS~
    Apart from making typos I have now started reading stuff wrong. I miss-read Ramanama as Ramayana. So posts looked bizzare. My apologies. I notice it just now.

But if you ask me, I think it is the green-burgundy background that's behind this!

Thread Information