Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Ramanama destroys bad karma?

Now that I know what BoG was asking, I can share my humble (not my own creation in any way though) ideas:-

Reciting names of God is called Japa in Hindu Dharma.
    It's not exactly vedic chanting, as it is one pointed focus on a particular sound name. For a beginner, Ram Swarup's "word as revelation" can be a good source of understanding the mystery of reciting the lord's various names.

Japa is per haves like a universal practice as all sects and philosophies employ it. Destroy Karma - may be it does, but my understanding is word vibrations have direct effect on our mental-body and destroys avidya in it, increases merit and thus help in increase of awareness and knowledge. And to me knowledge is self development which leads to mukti. Thinking this way not all mantras are of similar power. Because not all vibrations are similar. Bija mantras which are sharp and crisp combination of a 2 o 3 matrika varnas cut through mental ignorance and clears up the mind fast. Mantras like Hrim (durga) or Krim (Kali) are sharp and piercing if you recite them (one can chant it inside and see). Vedic mantras are more peace-giving. It is said various mantras are to be practiced at various stages. Also in this science of japa, recitation aloud is not regarded as proper. After some stage one must move to manas japa where even there no movement in tongue, but the sound is repeated in mind.

But not all people will like to think it this way. Those who are rather strict bhaktas may argue that chanting lord’s name will destroy karma. Vaishnavas I think believe that calling lords name is actually calling the lord who will then personally help us out. They per haves believe in nama japa more than bija japa. The ancient phrase to of "Hari Om" was replaced by "Hari Bol" on such grounds.

It is unto the practitioner what (s)he wants to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhakta of God
    Namaste all.
    I did read the link.
    I am no sure if i had the the answer to my question.
    Ramanama means to recite continually Rama Rama Rama Rama Rama Rama...
    Ramamantra,if I am not wrong,is Om Sri Ramaya Namah.
    My question is about Ramanama.
    Regards,
    Orlando.
    As moderator noted the Public Username and Password is: dvaita and not Dvaita. My apologies.

The taraka Brahma mantra in "Jabalopanishad" is nothing but "rAma mantra" or "RAmanAma", which is clear from Ramottaratapaniya upanishad. If you go through the link all details are given.

http://www.dvaita.org/list/list_51/msg00065.html

**********The taraka Brahma mantra in "Jabalopanishad" is nothing but "rAma mantra" or "RAmanAma", which is clear from Ramottaratapaniya upanishad. If you go through the link all details are given.*****************

Jabala -- a disciple of Gautama rishi. On Jabala is based the concept of truthfulness and what constitutes Brahmana caste. Though Jabala was born of unknown father of a ganika mother, but He was Brahmana because of his truthfulness.

Jabala is Vedic. Linking Jabalo Upanishad, which is Vedic to a later Upanishad is pre posterous. I can write a commentary on Veda showing that Veda means Christ as Supreme only and none else -- and then I may, using the powerful means of Maya at my disposal, spread my view. All this is however the works of Maya, consort of Lord. Not for nothing, Lord does use an arrow made of Soma, Vishnu, and Agni to destroy Tripura.

Veda remains as such forever. And the being whose body constitutes the Vedas remains unborn eternally.
    Last edited by atanu; 13 April 2006 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atanu Banerjee
    Jabala -- a disciple of Gautama rishi. On Jabala is based the concept of truthfulness and what constitutes Brahmana caste. Though Jabala was born of unknown father of a ganika mother, but He was Brahmana because of his truthfulness.

Jabala is Vedic. Linking Jabalo Upanishad, which is Vedic to a later Upanishad is pre posterous.
    Jabalopanishad clearly mentions the place called "Avimukta" located inbetween varana and nasi. Varana and nasi are the two rivers around Varanasi and "avimukta" is one of the names of the city Varanasi. Also Rudra in this city is called as Tarakeshwar as he imparts Taraka mantra to dying souls in Kasi Kshetra(Varanasi). This is accpeted tradition among scholars in classical traditions. you can check on it.

Ramottaratapaniya upanishad is authentic as it corroborates with Jabalopanishad and explains clearly what Taraka Brahma mantra.

Besides the link provides also smriti statements in support of what I say. Rest of your post is your speculation and is merely reactionary. Unless you can provide from sruti that this Taraka Mantra is different from "Ramanama" you are blowing hot air.

Quote Originally Posted by Atanu Banerjee
    I can write a commentary on Veda showing that Veda means Christ as Supreme only and none else -- and then I may, using the powerful means of Maya at my disposal, spread my view. All this is however the works of Maya, consort of Lord. Not for nothing, Lord does use an arrow made of Soma, Vishnu, and Agni to destroy Tripura.

Veda remains as such forever. And the being whose body constitutes the Vedas remains unborn eternally.
    In the same Sruti, Rudra Deva asks all the assembled Devatas for a Vara. If Rudra is superior as you imagine, why does he ask for a boon to be called as pasupati from the Devatas who nominate him.

Atanu, you have got thorough refutation of your faulty stand many times in many other sites. There is no need to go over everything here again.

For the benefit of other people. The following link provides clear information

Public username and password: dvaita
    http://www.dvaita.org/list/list_50/msg00063.html

Verse: 1
    Sentence: 1 téṣām ásurāṇāṃ tisráḥ púra āsann ayasmáyy avamā́tʰa rajatā́tʰa háriṇī
    Sentence: 2 tā́ devā́ jétuṃ nā́śaknuvan tā́ upasádaivā́jigīṣan
    Sentence: 3 tásmād āhur yáś caiváṃ véda yáś ca \
    Sentence: 4 upasádā vái mahāpuráṃ jayantī́ti
    Sentence: 5 íṣuṁ sám askurvatāgním ánīkaṁ sómaṁ śalyáṃ víṣṇuṃ téjanam \
    Sentence: 6 ʼbruvan
    Sentence: 7 imā́m asiṣyatī́ti //

Verse: 2
    Sentence: 1 rudrá íty abruvan rudró vái krūráḥ ʼsyatv íti
    Sentence: 2 ʼbravīt \
    Sentence: 3 váraṃ vr̥ṇā ahám evá paśūnā́m ádʰipatir asānī́ti tásmād rudráḥ paśūnā́m ádʰipatis

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/yv/yv06.htm

The Asuras had three citadels; the lowest was of iron, then there was one of silver, then one of gold. The gods could not conquer them; they sought to conquer them by siege; therefore they say--both those who know thus and those who do not--'By siege they conquer great citadels.' They made ready an arrow, Agni as the point, Soma as the socket, Visnu as the shaft. They said, 'Who shall shoot it?' [1] 'Rudra', they said, 'Rudra is cruel, let him shoot it.' He said, 'Let me choose a boon; let me be overlord of animals.' Therefore is Rudra overlord of animals.
    Look at the verses in bold red. The devatas use the word krūráḥ(cruel) for selecting Rudra Deva to shoot the arrow and there is no other reason.

Also note the part in BOLD BLUE. Rudra Deva asks for a boon. Why would Rudra deva ask for a boon if he is supreme Lord. The vedas are clear. Boons are always asked from one's superiors and not from a inferior person. The fact that Rudra Deva asks for boon(from whoever it is), it shows Rudra Deva's position relative to boon giver is inferior.

Besides it is the Devatas that made the arrows already. Also note the words víṣṇuṃ téjanam used. It means Visnu's Power or Visnu's brightness. Here Rudra Deva merely uses Visnu's power to destroy the citadel for it is not possible tot destroy otherwise.
    Last edited by rkannan1; 13 April 2006 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramkish42

1. We chant 1008 holy names of god to get rid of Bad karma. Rama Nama is equivalent to 1008 holy names when chanted three times.
    raama raama raamethi rame raame manorame, sahasra naama tattulyam raama naama varaanane

So what is the use of 1008 holy names, and why recite it at all? Do you realize that Rama is one of the names that appear in the 1008 names? (rAmo virAmo...) Some people(ISKCONs) say that chanting Krishna once is equal to chanting Rama three times. Sheer absurdity. It is not important what name of God is being chanted, it is far more important that you do it devoted and devoid of any material desires.

4. unlike other mantras, Raamanamaa gives fruits even spelled wrongly at the same time instantly. We hear of sage Valmiki saying word Maraa Maraa continuously thus ended up being a sage. This is the clear example of destruction of Karma
    Which very much confirms my earlier view. It is only the shraddha that matters, not the name and not even its right pronounciation.

Namaste all.
    Is true that to do Ramanama destroy bad karma/sins?
    Are there proofs in the scriptures about this?
    Regards,
    Orlando.
    Ramakrishna Paramahamsa says that chanting of the Lord's name is like filling a reservoir of spiritual merit. There are no indications that the reservoir is getting full, unlike the path of Jnana Yoga( where each stage results in an increased level of perception), but when it gets full it will burst forth...yes, it burns all Karma that are accrued unintentionally. Whatever Karma is earned deliberately has to be worked out, and God is not going to provide a short cut....sorry that is very unfair.

Namaste.
    Please note that the shastra has rules.
    For example one can't recit Om Namo Narayanaya without first take a bath.And one can't recite it in the rest room.Even recite Ramayana (not Ramanama!) need purity and one must have nice dresses while it is recited.Even VishnuSahasranamam (the thousands name of Vishnu) needs some purity.
    Ramanama is beyong place and times.One mays recite Rama Rama Rama Rama Rama... even in the rest room and even without take a bath.
    And some mantras must be recited correctly.
    One must not diluite the rules of the scriptures.
    Regards,
    Orlando.

Quote Originally Posted by TruthSeeker
    So what is the use of 1008 holy names, and why recite it at all? Do you realize that Rama is one of the names that appear in the 1008 names? (rAmo virAmo...) Some people(ISKCONs) say that chanting Krishna once is equal to chanting Rama three times. Sheer absurdity. It is not important what name of God is being chanted, it is far more important that you do it devoted and devoid of any material desires.
    Hi,

Assume that I am giving a big feast. What you do expect me to have before giving that big feast. Money, Grain, Cereals, OK

I must have all such stuff in abundance so that I can offer it to you.

So is the names of the lord . Each name is each stuff which is required for feasting, so we have so many names. Each and every name is abundant.

Probably, I like Patotos, some like brinjals, some one like Jilebis so on and so forth. For the person who has tasted the stuff with heart that is enough. When I discuss with you the first thing I will ask is "Had you tasted that Patoto?" probably some one with come and tell me "That Gulab Jamun was excellent, nothing like it, you must have it" -
    arre yaar, me tho diabeties patient hun
    He will say abe chodo yaar, ek se kya ho jaata hai

Now it is for me to conclude whether the guy who offers me Gulab jamun is about to kill me or make me to taste a good stuff.

The point here is some opt to choose the killing notion, but I see the love he has for Gulab Jamun and me

Many times we will come across us opposites at the same place, verily I suggest try to opt for all when options of alternatives are given to you

Jai shree krishna
    Last edited by ramkish42; 28 April 2006 at 02:58 PM.

Namaste.
    For example one can't recit Om Namo Narayanaya without first take a bath.And one can't recite it in the rest room.Even recite Ramayana (not Ramanama!) need purity and one must have nice dresses while it is recited.Even VishnuSahasranamam (the thousands name of Vishnu) needs some purity.
    Ramanama is beyong place and times.One mays recite Rama Rama Rama Rama Rama... even in the rest room and even without take a bath.
    Regards,
    Orlando.
    I have never referred to a mantra here whose purpose is different from chanting of names - they are entirely different things.

BY the way, the rules that you mentioned are man made. There cant be any place or time restriction for thinking about God or meditating on him. Such rules are strictly for householders who are yet karmatas, and still indulge in worship for satisying material desires. For a person completely devoted to God, there simply cant be any rules.

By imposing such rules on time and also things like bath, you have virtually made a deep samadhi an imposibility, which may last days at a time. It is quite true that there should be good emphasis on external purity for a house holder and otherwise worldly people. For an advanced seeker, he is purified in his mind, what can beat that?

Namaste.
    Regards,
    Orlando.
    I remember the story of Tulasidas Dubeyji.

While answering a natures call, he was chanting ramanaama aloud. Another person who happened to be in nearby hideout shouted, "Who is that who is chanting holy names in such unholy places, whom so ever you are just shut up for few moments"

Tulasidasji thought, probably that voice was correct, hence kept silent. The moment his mouth stopped chanting, as I hear the story from others, they say, every part of his body started chanting ramanaama aloud.

Voice shouted back - "Who is that - I hear a chorus of Ramanaama, whom so ever you are, I found unless you mouth chants ramanaam aloud chorus does not happen, so chant ramanaam aloud"

Verily, Tulasidasji accepted it and started chanting ramanaama again.

Just giving an example for "even in rest room" idea

At the very end, raam naam (he) satya hai
    Last edited by ramkish42; 28 April 2006 at 03:01 PM.

Thread Information