Thread: Huge profit selling 'Golu' dolls abroad!

Huge profit selling 'Golu' dolls abroad!

Namaste,

The Golu/Navaratri season is approaching. I have collected all my dolls only from my trips to India and desperately want to grow my collection. I was browsing the net for Golu dolls in USA (online sellers) and landed on this page which seems to have a very good collection of dolls -- dolls that seem good sized and colorful made of quality material. And then I checked the price and I nearly fainted. All good sized dolls, interesting ones are above $50 and include an additional shipping price. (These dolls may be priced a max. of Rs. 600 in India). I remembered purchasing a good Panduranga/Raghumayee set that is about 12" high ten years ago at a store in New Jersey, USA. That shop has gone since and I don't know anybody who knows of other stores that sells Golu dolls in NJ, USA. Are you aware of any shop in NJ that sells Golu dolls?

Can you recommend any good online shop for purchasing Golu dolls that is reasonably priced?

Thanks.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Re: Huge profit selling 'Golu' dolls abroad!

This site is fantastic! i am ordering items!

Namaste,

Each item is at least 20-30 times its price in India!!This is a very profitable business!
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

It is worth it!

I notice the company HQ is in San Ramon California. Very nice place! Very beautiful neighbourhoods.

These craftsmen deserve the dollars. And when I am in India, I tell all my "Western" friends, "don't be cheap-o, don't bargin, pay FULL dollar price and remember this is such an opportunity to be in India you need to pay FULL price and you will be happy all your life after. Bring lots of dollars, each thing you buy from a craftsman you will never get these gems, such works! Buy, buy! Pay the rickshaw 20 times over. Pay top dollar for that murti! Thank God you can pay! Thank the shop owner after! Thank the taxi driver! Thank the fried chickpeas vendor! That the one who cleans your room! Give him 50 rupees and a GIFT before you leave the hotel. A NICE gift, not stupid gift.

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    It is worth it!

These craftsmen deserve the dollars. Bring lots of dollars, each thing you buy from a craftsman you will never get these gems, such works! Buy, buy! Pay top dollar for that murti! Thank God you can pay!

Namaste Ji,

I do not know about the above mentioned website.

Usually,there is a looter called middle man in between,he pockets the profits.Everything is purchased in bulk from the artists at a cheap,wholesale price.But when it is sold its cost price which is like Sri Vamana increases manifold and the selling price ends up like Sri Trivikrama.

The artist can be helped only when we buy directly from him/her.It is possible only if we buy from Art and Craft shops maintained by State Governments in India.The government pays an adequate amount and sometimes supplies raw materials whereas businesses minimize procuring cost and try to maximize profits.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Namaste,

I am in a marriage where I think like ShivaFan ji and my hubby thinks like Ram ji.

Pay the rickshaw 20 times over. Pay top dollar for that murti! Thank God you can pay! Thank the shop owner after! Thank the taxi driver!
    I agree with the above ShivaFan ji has to say. When we are directly dealing with those rendering the service without the middleman, we can afford to pay them good.

Every year, here in US where I live, around April-May, one day is chosen for an exhibition of local starving artists' works in the public schools and includes items such as handmade fashion jewellery/paintings, etc. I make sure I buy atleast 1 item from them every year.

But we always need to exercise caution, because we don't want to help a cheater/trickster. Once I took an 'auto-rickshaw' in India to travel some 1/2 hr distance. Since it was my trip here from USA to India to visit, and I hardly knew the destination, I only said the closest landmark to the destination (and said I did not know much about the direction as I was new to the place) and got into the auto. The auto driver nodded as if he knew the place and was driving in the right direction. Suddenly a few blocks passed after the said landmark, and he abruptly stopped the auto. And he started yelling at me for not asking him to stop the auto at the landmark! This was just a few blocks away! I don't know what his intention was, as I had only Rs.40 in my purse at that time, I paid him extra Rs.40 over his asking price and his rage wouldn't get subdued! Praying to god, I got down, paid no attention to his yelling and walked fast away from the place and got to my mother's house which was around the corner! Rs.40 is nothing but even that I wouldn't have paid to such a person.

The artist can be helped only when we buy directly from him/her.It is possible only if we buy from Art and Craft shops maintained by State Governments in India.The government pays an adequate amount and sometimes supplies raw materials whereas businesses minimize procuring cost and try to maximize profits.
    How about Kadi Gramodhyog bhavan? Are they maintained by the State Govt?

Thanks.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Both great points - I didn't think of the middleman cheaters.

Now I feel sad a bit, I wish I could pay the crafts artists directly...

But in one way, even middleman bulk buys give the artists business, yes? Or no?

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post

But in one way, even middleman bulk buys give the artists business, yes? Or no?
    Namaste Ji,

Yes,true and I agree.

Namaste Viraja Ji,

What you mentioned is right,there are many non-governmental organizations which are helping the artists/producers directly.These organizations are good for everyone.

Thread Information