Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Four Armed Sri Krishna-Narayana?

Four Armed Sri Krishna-Narayana?

Namaste,

The commonly seen form of Bhagavan Sri Krishna has two arms playing/holding a flute.

Sriman Narayana is shown with four arms holding the attributes Shanka(conch),Chakra(discus),Gada(mace) and Padma(lotus).

I came across a different image wherein Sri Krishna is playing the flute with two arms and the other two arms are holding the conch and the discus.I tried to find the origin of this form but could not.

In Srimad Bhagavad Gita,
    in chapter 11(Visvarupa–Darsana yoga),Bhagavan exhibits a four armed form.The commentaries mention that the four armed form was of Sriman Narayana with his usual four attributes but not this form.

http://www.bhagavad-gita.org/Gita/verse-11-47.html

Could members point out the source of this form from the scriptures?Is there any incident associated with this combined form of Sri Krishna-Narayana?
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Re: Four Armed Sri Krishna-Narayana?

Namaste,

I once listened to an upanyasa -- it seems Sri Krishna once when he was playing with the Gopis, as a small child, 'frightened them' playfully sporting his real swaroopa as 4-armed bhagwan Sri Vishnu. To this, the gopis seem to have been very much frightened, and then smilingly Sri Krishna assumed his normal form. I think this episode maybe in the Bhagavatam 10th Canto.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Jai Shri KRshNa

Apparently Shri KRshNa GhanaShyAmsundar VAsudev manifested 4 arms when RukmiNi fainted because He teased Her.

Viraja, the Gopis ignored Him as a four armed form with a quick Namaste and asked "PraNAm Narayan, have you seen KRshNa?" and just went ahead into the woods searching for their beloved KRshNa

Then came Radha searching for Him. As the 4-armed KRshNa saw Radha approaching He kept slipping back into the 2 armed form seeing Her.

Madan-Mohan could not get Himself to retain the four-arm form in front of Madan-Mohan-Mohini!

Shri Radhe!!

-------
    Madan -Mohan = attracter of Cupid = KRshNa
    Madan - Mohan - Mohini = attracter of attracter of Cupid = Radha
    Last edited by ameyAtmA; 30 August 2014 at 11:22 AM.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Quote Originally Posted by Ram116040 View Post
    Could members point out the source of this form from the scriptures?Is there any incident associated with this combined form of Sri Krishna-Narayana?
    Namaste Ram

Shri KRshNa was often considered 4-armed as VAsudev in Dwarka and Hastinapur. After He left VRndAvan, He was pretty much looked at as Narayan, however, the VAsudev form of DwArka is obviously a lilA-mAnusha-vigraha (divine=pastime-performing human-like form) than the VaikunTha-NArAyaN.

he nAth nArAyaNa vAsudeva ~

Namaste Viraja Ji,

I think my realtives have the full Sri SB with them,I'll read about this incident when I will visit them.Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ameyAtmA View Post
    Jai Shri KRshNa

the Gopis ignored Him as a four armed form with a quick Namaste and asked "PraNAm Narayan, have you seen KRshNa?" and just went ahead into the woods searching for their beloved KRshNa

Shri Radhe!!
    Namaste ameyAtmA Ji,

Thanks for explaining about this form.

The Gopis loved only the two armed Bhagavan Sri Krishna.You made an interesting point above,it highlights the attachment a devotee has towards his favorite form of the Lord.

Hmm,my doubt is still there.Although,Sri Krishna manifested the four-armed form,he might not have held the flute in his hands because Sriman Narayana does not carry a flute.And had he carried it then surely the Gopi devotees would have recognized him as Sri Krishna.It seems the form I found is a bit different from the one mentioned in this incident.

He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Hmm,my doubt is still there.Although,Sri Krishna manifested the four-armed form,he might not have held the flute in his hands because Sriman Narayana does not carry a flute.And had he carried it then surely the Gopi devotees would have recognized him as Sri Krishna.It seems the form I found is a bit different from the one mentioned in this incident.
    You are right the chaturbhuj form we talked about earlier is different. However, BhagvAn can do anything and many Acharya of the past such as VallabhAchArya and some in the RAmAnuj paramparA have mentioned Shri GopAL KRshNa manifesting 2 extra arms playfully in Vraj. One I remember is during dahi - hanDi , the other when chatting with the Gopis. Most likely He was playing or at least holding the flute then. VallabhAchArya's comments indicate that this MurliManohar rUpa was manifesting 2 extra arms on occasion in GokuL and VRndAvan -- during His typical Vraja leelA. At times to shower grace on a devotee, to let them know Who He really is. It is not really different from showing Mother YashodA the universe in His mouth.

There was a member here on HDF who had a rare picture of flute-playing KRshNa with 4 arms as the avatar (HDF profile).

namaste

Quote Originally Posted by ameyAtmA View Post
    You are right the chaturbhuj form we talked about earlier is different. However, BhagvAn can do anything and many Acharya of the past such as VallabhAchArya and some in the RAmAnuj paramparA have mentioned Shri GopAL KRshNa manifesting 2 extra arms playfully in Vraj. One I remember is during dahi - hanDi , the other when chatting with the Gopis. Most likely He was playing or at least holding the flute then. VallabhAchArya's comments indicate that this MurliManohar rUpa was manifesting 2 extra arms on occasion in GokuL and VRndAvan -- during His typical Vraja leelA. At times to shower grace on a devotee, to let them know Who He really is. It is not really different from showing Mother YashodA the universe in His mouth.

There was a member here on HDF who had a rare picture of flute-playing KRshNa with 4 arms as the avatar (HDF profile).

namaste
    Namaste Ji,

Thanks a lot for mentioning about Vraja leelA.Do you follow Sri Vallabhacharya's Samparadaya?

I think this form is known as Venugopala in Karnataka but that doesn't really help as Venugopala simply means the Lord with a flute.I found an image,here the Sringeri Srimad Shankaracharya is worshiping this form of Bhagavan.

Namaste,

Some 4-armed variants of Sri Krishna that comes to my mind are i) Sri Guruvayoorappan and ii) Sri Parthasarathy Perumal.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Namaste,

Some 4-armed variants of Sri Krishna that comes to my mind are i) Sri Guruvayoorappan and ii) Sri Parthasarathy Perumal.

Thanks.
    Namaste Ji,

Sri Guruvayoorappan is actually Sriman Narayana.This Sriman Narayana Murthi was worshiped by Sri Krishna,though people generally think it is Bhagavan Sri Krishna.

Is the Parthasarathy Perumal you mentioned the same Perumal in Thiruvallikeni Divya desam?

Namaste Ji,

Sri Guruvayoorappan is actually Sriman Narayana.This Sriman Narayana Murthi was worshiped by Sri Krishna,though people generally think it is Bhagavan Sri Krishna.
    Oh, I did not know that. Thank you. All this time I was thinking Guruvayoorappan is Sri Krishna. There is even a popular Tamil song that sings, "Come to Guruvayoor, see Sri Krishna eating a mouthful of food from mother Yasoda..." (Guruvayoorukku vaarungal, ange kuzhandai sirippadhai paarungal, oru vai soru oottum thai mun utkaarndhiruppadai paarungal).

Is the Parthasarathy Perumal you mentioned the same Perumal in Thiruvallikeni Divya desam?
    Yes, that is correct.

Thread Information