Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Four Armed Sri Krishna-Narayana?

Re: Four Armed Sri Krishna-Narayana?

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Oh, I did not know that. Thank you. All this time I was thinking Guruvayoorappan is Sri Krishna.

Yes, that is correct.

Namaste Ji,

It is said that in every avatara Sriman Narayana took he used to worship himself.Some examples,

1.Sri Ramavatara -Sri Ranganatha Swamy
    2.Sri Krishnavatara - Sri Guruvayu Swamy
    3.Sri Venkenteshwara - Sri Adi Varaha Swamy

I am trying to find the other forms worshiped by other avatars.

Tiruvallikeni Sri Parthasarthy is a unique Kshetra.It is the only Kshetra where Sri Krishna is worshiped with three generations of his family members.I love this Sri Murthi,again it is very unique as the lord here wears a mustache.

The Perumal here is two armed Ji.

I did not get the chance to visit this Kshetra.

I heard the Sakkarai Pongali is very tasty in this temple,I will buy a full vessel when I visit.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram116040 View Post
    [SIZE=3]
    It is said that in every avatara Sriman Narayana took he used to worship himself.Some examples,

1.Sri Ramavatara -Sri Ranganatha Swamy
    2.Sri Krishnavatara - Sri Guruvayu Swamy
    3.Sri Venkenteshwara - Sri Adi Varaha Swamy
    An interesting listing, Ram ji! Except that I thought Sri Krishna worshiped the deity 'Ramapriyan' who was formerly worshiped by Sri Rama in Treta Yuga. This deity Ramapriyan is currently in Melkote, accompanying Sri Tirunarayana. Please find the excerpt below:

Rama:- Suryavamsha

Lord Rama in Trethayuga needed an idol for his daily worship, since he had given away his original idol of worship viz, Ranganatha to Vibhishana. So he approaches Brahma, who gives away the idol of Shelvanarayana which was being worshipped by him. Lord Rama, after establishing Ramarajya
    decided to leave this world. So he gave away this idol to King Kusha. The idol came to be known as ‘Ramapriya’.

Krishna:- Yadava Dynasty

King Kusha, in turn gave the idol, as marriage gift to Yadavakumara of Yadava dynasty who married his daughter Kanakamalini. Thus the idol Ramapriya changed hands from Suryavamsha to Yadava dynasty. Ultimately, it came to be possessed by Lord Krishna, himself a Yadava, for daily worship by his family. After a long time Balarama and his friends, while on a piligrimage, arrived in Melkote. Looking at Moolavar Tirunarayana Balarama found an identical similarity with Ramapriya – their family idol of worship. Balarama, on return, mentions this similarity to Lord Krishna who does not believe.
    Later, Lord Krishna and Balarama together come to Melkote to verify. Krishna looks at Tirunarayana and hails that the idol Ramapriya at their home
    is none other than Tirunarayana. Krishna decides that the right place for Ramapriya is to be with Tirunarayana. Thus the idol Ramapriya came to
    be installed in Melkote.
    "The Perumal here is two armed Ji."

-- thank you for this correction, Ram ji. For some reason, I assumed Thiruvallikkeni Sri Parthasarathy (Krishna) is 4-armed.

Thanks.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    An interesting listing, Ram ji! Except that I thought Sri Krishna worshiped the deity 'Ramapriyan' who was formerly worshiped by Sri Rama in Treta Yuga. This deity Ramapriyan is currently in Melkote, accompanying Sri Tirunarayana. Please find the excerpt below:
    Namaste Ji,

Thanks for telling about Sri Ramapriyan Perumal.Our Mutts have many Salagramas,multiple Vigrahas of the same deity,so too Sri Krishna might have worshiped many Sri Vishnu Murthies.

(Just imagine so many Sri Vishnus's worshiping each other)

I knew about same Utsavar as Sri Selva Pillai Perumal,who was worshiped by Bhagavad Sri Ramanujacharya and about how Perumal was recovered when he was carried away by Sultans to Delhi.When Ramanujacharya could not locate the Vigraha in the huge treasurey among many other looted Murthis,he called Selva Pillai,
    and lo, Bhagavan came running from the Sultan's daughter's room and sat on his lap.

But the Sultans daughter loved to play with this image of Sriman Narayana very much and she accompanied him to Melkote and is said have lived there for the rest of her life.

And you will be more surprised if you read the following account.

It is said that a similar situation occurred in Srirangam.When the Utsava Vigraha Sri Namperumal was brought back to Srirangam,another Sultan's daughter followed the Vigraha and is said to have later merged into the Lord.It is said that there is an image of her by the name Thulukka Nachiar in Srirangam and she is offered Roti naivedya cooked in Northern way.I do not know how authentic this story is but you can not miss the similarity present in the tales of Sri Ramapriyan Perumal and Sri Namperumal.

As always, in India many temples share the same story.

P.S. Personally,
    except the incident involving Srimad Ramanujacharya, I doubt the authenticity of some elements in both the anecdotes I mentioned.

Last edited by Ram11; 31 August 2014 at 12:50 PM.
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

[QUOTE=Ram116040;119562]
    (Just imagine so many Sri Vishnus's worshiping each other)[quote]

Your mention of many Vishnu's worshiping each other brings to memory the 11 Sri Vishnu utsava held annually at ThirunAngUr divyadesa.

P.S. Personally,except the incident involving Srimad Ramanujacharya, I doubt the authenticity of some elements in both the anecdotes I mentioned.
    Yes, when we ask ourselves about foremost female devotees who merged into lord we can only think of Sri Andal, Sri Kanhopatra and Sri Meera. Thulukka Nachiyar might have been a very great devotee but she merging into lord is something I cannot believe either, because our Acharyas would certainly have, without any bias, made her tale known to the whole world!

Thanks and regards.

[quote=Viraja;119566][quote=Ram116040;119562]
    (Just imagine so many Sri Vishnus's worshiping each other)

Your mention of many Vishnu's worshiping each other brings to memory the 11 Sri Vishnu utsava held annually at ThirunAngUr divyadesa.

Yes, when we ask ourselves about foremost female devotees who merged into lord we can only think of Sri Andal, Sri Kanhopatra and Sri Meera. Thulukka Nachiyar might have been a very great devotee but she merging into lord is something I cannot believe either, because our Acharyas would certainly have, without any bias, made her tale known to the whole world!

Thanks and regards.

Namaste Ji,

Two eyes would not be sufficient to experience the happiness upon seeing 11 Sri Vishnu's at one time.

I did not know about Sri Kanhopatra,thanks for mentioning her name.

Namaste,

I was thinking about Thulukka Nachiar merging with the Lord.

It reminds me of Swami Ananthalwan's experience with the Lord at Tirumala (7-Hills). Ananthalwan, a foremost disciple of Swami Ramanujar, establishes the garden in Tirumala, after great amount of effort. One morning, he wakes up and finds his garden ruined! The flower plants are totally uprooted and there is complete chaos! The next night he is keeping vigil along with few other devotees the whole night. There! He spots the culprits! A stately looking pair - a couple! As he chases them, the man runs away but the lady gets caught - Ananthalwan ties her down to a tree. Next morning, news comes from Sanctum Sanctorum that the Lord spoke and revealed that the pair Ananthalwan spotted is none other than himself and Sri Alamelumanga (Mahalakshmi) the previous night and to release her! Ananthalwan releases the still tied-down Alamelumanga and brings her to the Sanctum where she merges into the Lord. Alamelumanga says to Ananthalwan she is just like her father. This incident is still sung in praise of Sri Ananthalwan as it is recited in Thirumala, "The father-in-law of the Lord, Sri Ananthalwan, Glory to Him! The father of Alamelumanga, Glory to HIm!".

One can enjoy the vaibhava here: http://acharya.org/bk/pb/Anandazhvan...ABiography.pdf -> page 41 and up.

So, all this happened just 1000 yrs ago, in Kali-yuga! Thulukka Nachiar incident is the same period, when Srimad Ramanujacharya was alive! So I do believe in this incident after reading the above!

Regards.

Thread Information