Thread: Isha Upanishad and Bhagavad Gita

Isha Upanishad and Bhagavad Gita

I read a version of the Isha Upanisad / Isopanishad with a strongly theistic interpretation, which didn’t suit me. Looking for alternatives, I found various translations of the Isha Upanishad, among them a commentary from the website: http://www.yoga-age.com/upanishads/isha.html

When I posted them on another forum, someone told me this post may create a "debate". I'm not into causing trouble but I'd really have some answers. My questions deal with possible contradictions of the Bhagavad Gita and the Isha Upanishad.

Here are my questions:

On Knowledge and Ignorance
    Isha-Upanishad 9
    They enter into blind darkness who worship Avidya (ignorance and delusion); they fall, as it were, into greater darkness who worship Vidya (knowledge). (Aurobindo translation)
    Then why is said in the Bhagavad Gita:
    4.10. Delivered from liking and fear and wrath, full of me, taking refuge in me, many purified by austerity of knowledge have arrived at my nature of being (madbhavam, the divine nature of the Purushottama).

On the Unmanifested and the manifest

Isha-Upanishad 12
    They fall into blind darkness who worship the Unmanifested and they fall into greater darkness who worship the manifested.
    The Bhagavad Gita says:

BG 12.3-4. But those who seek after the indefinable unmanifest Immutable omnipresent, unthinkable, self-poised, immobile, constant, they also by restraining all their senses, by the equality of their understanding and by their seeing of one self in all things and by their tranquil benignancy of silent will for the good of all existences, arrive to Me.

12.5. The difficulty of those who devote themselves to the search of the unmanifest Brahman is greater; it is a thing to which embodied souls can only arrive by a constant mortification, a suffering of all the repressed members, a stern difficulty and anguish of the nature.
    I assume Krishna is not the manifest, as the BG says:
    7. 24. Petty minds think of Me, the unmanifest, as being limited by manifestation, because they know not my supreme nature of being, imperishable, most perfect.
    7. 25. Nor am I revealed to all, enveloped in My Yoga-maya; this bewildered world knows Me not, the unborn, the imperishable.

So I assume the manifest is materialism?

Excuse me if there are errors in my opinion, I want to learn. Thanks for your answers.

Re: Isha Upanishad and Bhagavad Gita

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Your questions are rational to ask....

The way the īśāvāsyopaniṣad ( īśāvāsya¹ upaniṣad) is written is superb and not completely understood by a word translation only. Hence may I recommend an in-depth review of this upaniṣad which is done by svāmī muni nārāyaṇa prāsad. This will address the 9th śloka, of which has been discussed many times on HDF. By reading his book/translation it will also address the 3rd śloka of which I think is of great import.

iti śivaṁ

1. īśāvāsya = īśā + vāsya
      • īśa = Supreme; complete master;
      • āvāsya = inhabited by , full of
      • Hence īśāvāsya is the Supreme that inhabits or dwells (va) in all; We come to say from the 2nd śloka
        that it is īśa that covers all or everything (sarvaṁ)
    • Book by svāmī muni nārāyaṇa prāsad is īśāvāsya and māṇḍūkya upaniṣads - https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...26638872221723
    Last edited by yajvan; 31 August 2014 at 01:59 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Dear Cosinuskurve,

I think this will help you understand the concept better:
    http://www.arshavidya.org.uk/dayanan.../ishavasya.php

Love!
    Silence
    Come up, O Lions, and shake off the delusion that you are a sheep