Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dealing with christian parents

Re: Dealing with christian parents

Namaste wundermonk,

Completely off topic but my original comment was based on a sutra from 'ashtavakra gita', chapter 1.

Ashtvakra says to king Janak, 'Oh expansive one, religion and atheism, happiness and misery, all are of the mind, they are not for you. You are not the doer nor the enjoyer. You have always been liberated.'

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    Hi Satay,

Since you posted as a user and not as a moderator, I wish to "take you to task" as it were for the above.

I hope you reconsider the wording in your post above. It appears you have taken the responsibility of indicating what the world view should be for fellow Hindu advaitins. Like other traditions within Hinduism, I am sure you are aware of the very stringent requirements laid down in order to even begin Advaitin studies. (Refer the commentary on "athatho brahma jigyasa", the very first sutra of the Brahmasutras, Shankara commentary.) It is not simply "just a concept of mind".

Regards
    WM
    satay

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté
    Quote Originally Posted by ale84 View Post
    What should I do?
    If 101 people respond to this question you will get 101 points of view. Now is that ~bad~ ? It may help, it may not.

A man who claims to know what is good for others is dangerous ...śrī nisargadatta maharāj

So, with that said what possibly could I add to this conversation ? Little to nothing. Yet one thing I found useful. If a person came to you as a 3rd party i.e. uninvolved, what guidance would you give them ?

This approach is quite rational . No one really knows you on HDF; there may be an impression of you over the years, but no one really knows you, your personality, values, environment, etc. These are needed to give a fair assessment of a course of action, no ?
    So, the suggestions you receive , always with the best intent, will fall short of your needs. But since you know your condition better than anyone here, it seems wise for you to be this 3rd party answering to yourself. Try it. See what you think. What advice would you give to a person with the SAME conditions at hand ?

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Hare Krishna !

Originally from Satay...

namase ale,
    Eastern has given you great advice. I don't have any experience with this type of situation so not speaking from personal experience but would like to share some of my thoughts. You are free to ignore them of course.

I can imagine that it is very painful thing for parents to see their child (adult or not) change his or her birth religion. How dare he forsake the religion of the forefathers. It must be a emotional nightmare for them. So please be gentle with them.

One of the tenets of hinduism is to 'respect the elders'. This tenet is a good one, it doesn't just apply to one's parents but any elder. Please be mindful and never disrespect them especially in this situation. Discussing your new found faith with them will do nothing. It is not your duty to make them understand what hinduism is. They will 'get' it on their own when they are ready. In the meantime try your best to reduce their pain. I consider causing pain to one's parents a great sin. Remember they are vessels using which 'you' took rebirth and for that you are forever in their debt (rn). This debt can never be repaid is my opinion. Thus we hindus do daana for pitr (for the elderly who are dead).

Since you are advaitin, then for you, in the end, religion (hinduism or not) is just a concept of mind. Treat it as such and don't be hard on them. Attending a church to make someone happy is not a sin in my opinion."

Dear Satay,

It's all wonderful for dear ale84, thank you. And I love and hold you in high esteem for your point that " In the end, religion (hinduism or not) is just a concept of mind." Honest and wonderful statement that can come only from an enlightened soul.

Dear ale84 should deeply go into this observation and understand the subtlety of the very comprehensive point of this observation. The day he understands or his parents understand this, all the problems will get over. Alas ! Separate religions have in reality separated God from us. All the troubles are because of (actually) lesser interest in God and more in the religions and in their (Wrongly understood) practices.

Request all friends not to misunderstand me and please forgive me if I have gone wrong.

Lots of love and best wishes.

Dilip.

Namaste Satay,

Quote Originally Posted by Dilip View Post
    Dear Satay,

I love and hold you in high esteem for your point.....Honest and wonderful statement that can come only from an enlightened soul.
    You are an enlightened soul, what are you doing here, running this lowly forum?

Pranam.

Yesterday, a student of theology came to see me in my house (a christian workmate of mine who knows I'm in hindu philosophy sent him).
    We had a friendly talk. It was nice to explain him my beliefs.

namaste,

You know it. I was on a high horse for a few days after I read Dilip's comment until my wife asked me yesterday evening why I hadn't done the dishes yet. Alas, even enlightened ones have to do the chores. Dang it.

Sorry didn't mean to derail the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste Satay,

You are an enlightened soul, what are you doing here, running this lowly forum?

Pranam.
    satay

Hare Krishna!

Where is the 'high' and 'low' in enlightenment ? The high horse is high "Bhav" so naturally you will tend to forget your nityakarma.

Love and best wishes,

Dilip.

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    namase ale,
    Thus we hindus do daana for pitr (for the elderly who are dead).

Since you are advaitin, then for you, in the end, religion (hinduism or not) is just a concept of mind. Treat it as such and don't be hard on them. Attending a church to make someone happy is not a sin in my opinion.
    Hello
    I totally agree with your sentiments. I used to go to church to please my mom. Now that she is no longer with us, I am so glad I did.

In another thread so as not to distract this one I will ask about daana for pitr (for the elderly who are dead).

Thread Information