Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Inspirations

Re: Inspirations

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Whereas I admire learning about verses which give us something unique to ponder over and provide an opportunity to grow, it would be even more beneficial if the members could relate to us as to how the verse helped them grow, how did they get inspired, in what way they changed their lives. A personal touch with some practical application in our lives always enhances the beauty of verses. At a personal level, how something changes one's life would be the source of inspiration, otherwise people tend to admire the poetry and move on. Making something part of our daily lives takes a big effort and an inspirational verse may help that effort. So, how a verse helped in someone's day to day life with some practical examples would go a long way in making others connect with the inspirational component of the verse. It will help others to latch on to to the sublime; else the purpose of the exercise gets lost in mere admiration of poetry. Just a thought, in case more is to be made out of this thread. If however, the intent is to bring to the table beautiful verses and let those interested in exploring it more do it on their own, then the current format serves the purpose.

Pranam.
    Namaste, praNAm

You bring up an important point. So let me start by saying that first verse I posted here - "eshA brAmhi sthitI pArtha" is a sample example of all such similar verses in the Bhagavad Gita, chapter 2 , sthitapradnya, chapter 12, "yo me bhaktah: sa me priyah:" (such a devotee is very dear to Me), chapter 13 (what is jnana ans what isn't), 14 (symptoms of the triguNAteet - one beyond the 3 modes of nature), 15,17,18.49-57 (avyabhichAri bhakti, signs of the liberated, bramha-bhUta) etc.

Almost 15 or 20 years ago these verses started fascinating me, I was awed by
    merely reading and re-reading about them. Later, I did not read the Gita regularly, but whenever I felt any lack of peace over the world and worldly, the favorite retreat was the Gita, and these verses in it. They made me feel instant peace. Instant. Not exaggerating. One day 9 years ago, dearest ShyAm swept the devotee off their feet.
    Last edited by ameyAtmA; 23 September 2014 at 10:03 PM. Reason: added quote to which answer was given
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Also, somebody just told me they liked the responses on this thread:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=12417

It helped them reflect on life situations when things were not that great. So it is a good match for this thread in light of what Believer is saying.

The loving words of Lord Shiva spoken to Shaivites of Sri Kalahasthi touches my soul.

Preface: Govinda Bhatta, cousin of Sri Ramanuja (charya) has become a Saivite, he has been doing the 'water kainkarya' to Lord Sri Shiva at Kalahasthi temple and has been appointed the head of that temple. Several Sri Vaishnavas at the order of Sri Ramanujacharya, try to convince Govinda Bhatta to join back at Sri Vaishnavam. At first he refuses, then his mind fully changed, agrees. The few Shaivites who try to talk to Govinda Bhatta to stay at Kalahasthi are met with failure. But upon this, they reveal the sweet words of Lord Shiva that were spoken to them at a dream, wherein the good Lord praises the efforts of Sri Vaishnava acharyas like Yamunacharya (Alavandar), Ramanujacharya and Govinda Bhatta and asks Shaivites to let Govinda choose whatever he wants to.

Here are the words spoken by Sri Shiva:

"Listen my faithful! In the olden days, the Vedas and Shastras suffered at the hands of Pashandins, Bhauddas and the Charvakas. They were restored by the three-staffed Sanyasin, Dattatreya. Again now, as of old, the vedas have suffered heretical vandalism. To reestablish them, the celestials Vishwaksena, Ananta and Vainateya have become incorporate on earth, under the names of Yamuna, Ramanuja and Govinda. To help them, the divine symbols of Vishnu - the Conch and the Discus - have appeared as Dasarathi and Kuresa, respectively. So, the vedic Vaishnavism which is going to revive under these masters is a system which is after my own heart. Govinda had entertained a wish once for living in Kashi; and this wish I fulfilled as appearing as linga in his palm, and giving him thus a chapter of Saivism; so that they may be in a position to show and prove to others the comparative merits of the two systems, which can best be done only after personal experience. Vaishnavas are free people. Interfere not. Let them alone". (Life of Ramanujacharya - Page 91 - www.acharya.org/d.html).

I'm touched by the profound sweetness of Lord Shiva expressed at the above dream - how he loves Govinda instead of saying 'he forgives him' and how he supports Sri Vaishnavam and its revival. I'm touched by the good lord's gentleness and kindness. This is an inspiration to me, a Sri Vaishnava, to love Lord Shiva equally.

jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Of Course. Govinda and Shambhu are One. Shiva is fond of the one who loves Hari-Govinda. SadAshiva keeps singing glories of Mukunda to PArvati. Thus also arose Radha-sahastranAmAvali.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Whereas I admire learning about verses which give us something unique to ponder over and provide an opportunity to grow, it would be even more beneficial if the members could relate to us as to how the verse helped them grow, how did they get inspired, in what way they changed their lives. A personal touch with some practical application in our lives always enhances the beauty of verses. At a personal level, how something changes one's life would be the source of inspiration, otherwise people tend to admire the poetry and move on. Making something part of our daily lives takes a big effort and an inspirational verse may help that effort. So, how a verse helped in someone's day to day life with some practical examples would go a long way in making others connect with the inspirational component of the verse. It will help others to latch on to to the sublime; else the purpose of the exercise gets lost in mere admiration of poetry. Just a thought, in case more is to be made out of this thread. If however, the intent is to bring to the table beautiful verses and let those interested in exploring it more do it on their own, then the current format serves the purpose.

Pranam.
    Namaste,

Thank you for this suggestion, Believer ji.

My current favorite verse (quoted in my previous post above) helps me in several ways. Here are a few of the ways it shapes my life and inspires me:

Nonviolence (ahiṁsā) and compassion for all beings (sarva bhūta dayā) are two of my most important guiding principles. They became important to me as I developed a fondness for ancient Indian texts. They help me to live out the truth that every being's life is significant. Everyone matters. (One reason for this is that God is present in every living being and every living being is a part of God.) The priority given to these two virtues in this verse helps me to keep them in mind. They affect what I eat, which products I buy (I try to buy cruelty-free versions of products), which charities I give to, how much I give, and my day-to-day actions. For example, at work, if I have a free moment, it is no trouble to place a plastic container over a cricket in the office, slip a sheet of paper beneath container, pull the paper tight around the sides, and take the cricket outside before someone steps on him. Because of teachings such as this verse, I see that it makes no sense to kill a harmless creature for no reason, although it is considered normal to do so in my country. When I see or remember this verse, I also tend to give more to those in need, so it is good for my practice of dāna (giving) as well.

The mention of patience or forgiveness (kṣamā) reminds me of a virtue that I've grown in, but still need to work on. If someone attacks me verbally or makes unjust comments directed at me, I try to remember to see their comments as an opportunity to train in this beautiful virtue, a chance to practice. I've decided to start seeing patience as an offering to God, as the verse says. This also makes it a little easier, I think, by shifting my focus.

The mention of control of the senses (indriya nigrahaḥ) reminds me of the teachings at B.G. 3:6-7; 13:8. This one is very humbling to me. It tells me not to dwell on the objects of the senses, not to be attached to them or to crave them. I have a long way to go here, but as a first step, I'm trying to unclutter my life, get rid of pointless possessions, live more simply, and practice contentment (saṃtoṣa).

I still have a long way to go, but beautiful verses such as the one I quoted help me on my journey with guidance and encouragement to make better choices.

praṇām
    śrīmate nārāyaṇāya namaḥ

Pranams

The Sanskrit word dharma which is usually translated into English as religion has a deeper meaning in our language. Dharma is the innermost nature, the essence, the implicit truth, of all things. Dharma is the ultimate purpose that is working in our self. When any wrong is done we say that dharma is violated, meaning that the lie has been given to our true nature.

Rabindranath Tagore

This quotation taken from Sadhana The Realization of life has become a very important understanding for me. Religion as practiced in mainstream society has in many cases, especially in the History of Europe, been a way of socially reforming and conditioning a belief system for the masses, which in many cases leaves behind the individual.

A deeper understanding for me of Dharma helps to align the individual approach in perfect union with the whole.

Pranams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG1V1XUZSww

Some nice inspirational words to practice, in this Video Swami Lakshmanjoo does not make any distinction between people who practice little or have intense practice, but rather saying to all equally, just go on practicing, what ever the situation.

Ys

Md

Pranams,

What is better in life than when we feel and experience on what ever level this pure sublime knowledge of the absolute truth, which manifest accordingly to the jiva to help it transcend from the conditioned state of rebirth.

Bhagavad Gita is a daily inspiration. I am touched and relieved that I have at least found this path, and in the mood of cultivating devotion I bow to the greatness of Gita with a humble heart filled with gratitude and love, may all beings be unified.

http://www.bhagavad-gita.org/Gita/verse-04-38.html

Another inspiration I have felt recently is that no matter what level we are on we continue, with faith and concentration, no matter if we are self realized or neophyte, just continue to our full capacity, there is no difference between neophyte and great great devotee if they concentrate to the best of their ability on the supreme.

This point is explained simply here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG1V1XUZSww

This is backed up in Sri Ramayana when Sri Hanuman Ji saw a spider flicking sand to help build the bridge to Lanka, Sri Hanuman Ji scoffed at his pathetic efforts and told him He was wasting his time and would only get in the way. Bhagavan Lord Sri Rama arrived on the scene and corrected Sri Hanuman Ji, and told him that the spiders service was just as good as Hanuman Ji's because just as Hanuman is serving to his capacity so is the spider.

May Lord Sri Rama pierce my heart with love and Knowledge with his divine arrows.

This story gives me hope, that even though I am lame and I am fallen, and I have no qualification if I give my all its is the same. I felt very deeply for this meaning, that no matter how imperfect my service and effort to reach the other shore and transcend the limitations of self ( small s) one is sincere and going at his own maximum speed with sincerity then that is the perfection of that state, and then it will grow and grow and everything will become unified in consciousness, no more separation.

May all beings be unified in God consciousness...

Ys

Md
    Last edited by markandeya 108 dasa; 26 October 2014 at 09:18 AM.

reflections

Pranams,

http://www.bhagavad-gita.org/Gita/verse-02-14.html

O son of Kunti, the nonpermanent appearance of happiness and distress, and their disappearance in due course, are like the appearance and disappearance of winter and summer seasons. They arise from sense perception, O scion of Bharata, and one must learn to tolerate them without being disturbed.

Autumn is such a wonderful month especially when it comes to landscape colours. I know what they mean now in America when they call this period fall. Spring gives life the creative force of nature, summer is the heat or passion of life and Autumn is the fading away of life, Old Age, Winter we can say in this context is the representation of death cold.
    In Autumn the colours are simple a wonderful display of nature, its almost as if nature is saying in the last part of life with the last gasp of breath that we express something so beautiful and profound and not to see fading and approaching death as something mundane.

I live near some lakes, I didn't take any photos but I found this site that represents the wonderful majesty of the final stages of life which blossoms in a different way in decline.
    I must be transcending a tiny amount because I am English and I am not complaining but rather praising the weather and seasons. We may get gripped with fear in Autumn time because we dread the cold death that winter brings, but if we live in the moment of Autumn and embrace the beauty that we have learned in our journey of life then we become more perfect in our conscious approach.

http://www.freegreatimages.com/autumn-trees-images/

Ys

Md

Thread Information