Thread: Tharpanam while parents are alive

Tharpanam while parents are alive

Namaste all, from 8 september for 2 weeks I have decided to do the ''tharpanam'' ritual as follows from Dr. Pillais website:

http://www.pillaicenter.com/Tarpanam.aspx

You may scroll down to the list of materials and instructions. I have a few questions.

I have four questions.

1) What is your opinion on this ritual? Is it truely beneficial? If it is I would love to do this for my beloved ancestors.

2) Is there a way to thank all existence? (As in not just your blood lineage)
    Also can I do that at the same time, or must I wait for a seperate new moon

3) I was reading somewhere about a vedic interpretation of this where there is a hellish planet called ''put'' : and the only purpose of this ritual is for the ''putra'' to help liberate the father. On the other hand common concensus leads me to believe that it is for ancestors stretching far before your parents. My parents are still alive. Is it okay to do this?

4) There is also an interpretation that says the Vedic purpose of marriage is only in order to Birth a ''putra'' who can help free his father from ''put'' and there is no other purpose. What is your view on this?

Thanks.

Re: Tharpanam while parents are alive

Pranam

Yes the month of Bhadra Krishnapaksh (dark fortnight) begins the time allocated for ancestors. The first Shradh according to calendar I follow begins on Tuesday.
    This tradition of Tarpan is an age old tradition offering the oblation to the departed soul. Even Lord Ram upon hearing the death of his father immediately entered the river to do the tarpan. In Bhagvat Gita Arjun was also perturbed and concerned;
    TEXT 41

sankaro narakayaiva
    kula-ghnanam kulasya ca
    patanti pitaro hy esam
    lupta-pindodaka-kriyah

This brings the family and the slayers of the family to hell, because the spirits of their ancestors are degraded when deprived of ceremonial offerings of rice-ball and water.

There is no reason why you can't offer oblation to your ancestors, the last day of Shradh is allocated to serva (all) Pitra

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    Pranam

Yes the month of Bhadra Krishnapaksh (dark fortnight) begins the time allocated for ancestors. The first Shradh according to calendar I follow begins on Tuesday.
    This tradition of Tarpan is an age old tradition offering the oblation to the departed soul. Even Lord Ram upon hearing the death of his father immediately entered the river to do the tarpan. In Bhagvat Gita Arjun was also perturbed and concerned;
    TEXT 41

sankaro narakayaiva
    kula-ghnanam kulasya ca
    patanti pitaro hy esam
    lupta-pindodaka-kriyah

This brings the family and the slayers of the family to hell, because the spirits of their ancestors are degraded when deprived of ceremonial offerings of rice-ball and water.

There is no reason why you can't offer oblation to your ancestors, the last day of Shradh is allocated to serva (all) Pitra

Jai Shree Krishna
    Namaste Ji, is it okay if I use the easy method in the link provided. I do not have all the materials. I only have black sesame seeds, water, & raw rice. I do not know which british coin is an equivalent of ''dime'' or ''nickel'' as the site asks.

Also, can this be done at any time before the sun sets?

Pranam

Quote Originally Posted by IcyCosmic View Post
    Namaste Ji, is it okay if I use the easy method in the link provided. I do not have all the materials. I only have black sesame seeds, water, & raw rice. I do not know which british coin is an equivalent of ''dime'' or ''nickel'' as the site asks.

Also, can this be done at any time before the sun sets?
    First let me make it clear I am no expert on this kriya ( method) but I see no reason doing it the simple way, I should not worry too much on coin as to which type especially not the US ones, it is symbolic of monetary gift, I think it was either gold silver or copper used in Bharat, I am sure it was meant as a gift to pujari, I could be wrong though. I personally do not offer any coins.

As a rule, after having finished my puja first thing in the morning, before the breakfast I perform the offering to my ancestors, with those material you mention. On special day I may cook khir-sweet rice for offering.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    Pranam

First let me make it clear I am no expert on this kriya ( method) but I see no reason doing it the simple way, I should not worry too much on coin as to which type especially not the US ones, it is symbolic of monetary gift, I think it was either gold silver or copper used in Bharat, I am sure it was meant as a gift to pujari, I could be wrong though. I personally do not offer any coins.

As a rule, after having finished my puja first thing in the morning, before the breakfast I perform the offering to my ancestors, with those material you mention. On special day I may cook khir-sweet rice for offering.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Namaste ji! Thankyou very much. Last question.

Today I did the ritual, but how to dispose of the remaining items? I gave the water to plants in my garden. Can I just give sesame seeds and rice to birds? You are not allowed to put Puja item into bin right?

Pranam

Quote Originally Posted by IcyCosmic View Post
    Namaste ji! Thankyou very much. Last question.

Today I did the ritual, but how to dispose of the remaining items? I gave the water to plants in my garden. Can I just give sesame seeds and rice to birds? You are not allowed to put Puja item into bin right?
    Right absolutely, I feed to birds in my garden in fact I do my ritual in my back garden.

In india they generally feed it to the crows popularly know amongst Gujrati community as Kag vaas.

Crows are supposed to be medium between the departed souls and the living that is what I have learnt from my elders.

Jai Shree Krishna

Thread Information