Thread: Seeking Temple Visitation Advice

Seeking Temple Visitation Advice

Hello!
    What advice can you give to someone who wants to go to a temple? I have been to one before, and everyone was very nice. One person even came up to me and the person I was with and answered some of our questions.
    I would like to go back but this time a want to be more prepared.
    When I was there I saw that money was put onto a plate held by a priest and then the person you move their hand over the top of it. I believe this is a blessing put I would like to know more.
    Also after being there a while, more and more people came and I believe they performed a puja service. They poured gallons of milk over one of the idols. Can one of you explain how this process usually takes place in a temple?
    Also is there anything else I should know upon going back?
    Thank you all!

Re: Seeking Temple Visitation Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Noor View Post
    Hello!
    What advice can you give to someone who wants to go to a temple? I have been to one before, and everyone was very nice. One person even came up to me and the person I was with and answered some of our questions.
    I would like to go back but this time a want to be more prepared.
    When I was there I saw that money was put onto a plate held by a priest and then the person you move their hand over the top of it. I believe this is a blessing put I would like to know more.
    Also after being there a while, more and more people came and I believe they performed a puja service. They poured gallons of milk over one of the idols. Can one of you explain how this process usually takes place in a temple?
    Also is there anything else I should know upon going back?
    Thank you all!
    Namaste Noor,

I myself am fairly new so my knowledge is limited, but am happy to share what I can. I love visiting new Temples when I can.

With what you've stated so far there's not a whole lot specific that anyone can tell you. The more knowledgeable members may be able to give you some greater depth if you can provide some more specifics. With that in mind, here are some questions that would be helpful:

Can you provide more specifics about the Temple you attended? For instance does it have a website you could link us to? Does it have a focus to a specific sect, for instance a form of Vaishnavism or Shaivism, or does it seem to be a more general place for all?

What day did you attend? Do you know which form of God was being bathed in milk, or could you describe what the idol (Murti, or Murthi) looked like?

If you can find the website for the Temple, you will find general guidelines there as to dress and conduct, and timings of when they are holding Pujas and Aartis, what those pujas are called so your could look them up, when festival events are happening, and to what Deities. This can be very helpful and may answer a lot of your questions.

Every Temple I have been to is different from the last in some way of how they do things. I would highly suggest reading back through this sub-sections posts in particular to see other people's experiences. Also, Believerji had linked to some good ones in this post. That whole thread is an excellent read as well.

Some very general things I can offer you that tend to be the same across all Temples:
    Please try your best not to wear leather or have any on your person when you enter - sometimes for some it is unavoidable, but try if you can. Some extend this to down filling in coats too, some don't.

Try and dress modestly, if you are unable to wear traditional dress. Check and see if the Temple you are visiting would prefer traditional dress. Usually traditional for women will mean at least Shalwar Kameez and slacks or Shalwar Suit - these are fairly easy to find if you have stores near you or can take your measurements and shop online.

Take your shoes and coat off at the door and store them in the shoe/coat racks. You don't need to be completely barefoot, socks are fine, but no shoes. Some places require you leave any bags there as well. It's best to leave your cell phone there too, and remember to turn the ringer off and set it to vibrate, even if you leave it.

Bring offerings. Fruit, flowers, and if you can make it then sometimes cooked food of specific recipes. Bananas, Mangoes, Grapes and Apples and Roses, Chrysanthemums and Carnations are safe. Some forms of God prefer specific flowers and leaves, but not all are available here, and you will learn those as you attend, read and observe, so don't worry too much. Prepared foods must always be Sattvic, and there are specific recipes that are best. If you like to cook you might try making Kheer or Sooji Halwa - If you make cooked food, you shouldn't taste it before bringing it to offer. If you are there for one of the Abishek Pujas - like you were on your first visit - bringing Milk to bathe the Lord is a great thing. Check with the Temple to see if they ask for a specific kind - I've been to Temples where they request only Low Fat 1% for different reasons.

See where others are leaving their offerings and leave them there. Some temples segregate women to sit on one side and men on the other. Follow whatever others are doing.

The Pandit or Pujari may come around at the beginning and ladle water into people's hands - this is to wash your hands with. Take it in your right hand.

Take anything passed to you or offered to you with your right hand only, and pass things to others with your right hand only. Here in the US, people tend to forget this somewhat and often Americans aren't expected to know this, but it's a good practice to start right away.

Sometimes the Pandit/Pujari will either give you Ash/KumKum/Haldi/Sandal paste to apply yourself, sometimes they will apply it on you. This differs from Temple to Temple, in my experience so far. If you are given it, you receive it in your right hand, (if you are offered to take a pinch from a box, take it between your right hand ring finger and thumb), pass it to your left, and apply it with your right hand ring finger to your forehead, between your eyebrows - some apply it as well in the hollow of the throat between the clavicles.

Depending on the Puja, at some point - in my experience usually the end - the Pandit/Pujari will give out ladles of water again, sometimes looking a little yellow or cloudy. Receive this in your right hand again, then quickly upend it into your mouth. Left over drops or dampness, draw over your head palm down.

The end of any Puja is song (Bhajan) and lamps circling the face(s) of the Deity(s) being honored - this is Aarti. It means to bring light or remove/dispel darkness. You offer the light to God, and after you can take your blessing from the offering lamp as you saw before. Pass your hand over the flame and then either pass your hand over your own head or as if washing your face, or simply touching your heart and forehead - I have seen many different ways done. You can do this with offered Incense as well.

Prasad is also passed out in the end. This is the food, and sometimes flowers, brought for offering, which is then shared out to all present after the Deity and the Celestial Gods have taken their own portions. Receive it in your right hand and thank the giver. Most places I have been, people leave the sacred space before eating it, but not all. Do what others do. Sometimes there will be cooked Prasad food for all attendees in another space as well, go and partake if there is.

Since you are female, it's also pertinent to point out the rule about not attending on a day your monthly friend is visiting. Not all people or Temples follow this, but I do simply out of respect for the culture.

Different days have presiding Deities. In the US, often Sundays are for general worship and community cultural meetings and youth classes, and you will find a lot more people there on that day and sometimes Saturdays as well. I tend to stick to the Weekdays for the Deities I am worshiping, as they have far fewer people so it's easier to observe and learn, and I don't feel quite such a distracting novelty to others (I'm the only western Hindu at my Temple). If your Temple has a Pandit, he may have some time to talk with you on a less populated day as well. I always go on Mondays as that is Sri Shiva's day, and He is my Ishta Devata.

The Puja you saw is called Abhishekam, it is bathing the Deity or the Deitys symbol in specific things that the Lord likes. As far as I am aware - which is not much so take this with a grain of salt - this is most common for Shaiva and Shakti worship, and Deities associated with those sects. I don't know if Vaishnavas do this for Sri Vishnu... But I have read that Sri Vishnu is known as "The One Who Enjoys Being Adorned by Ornaments" and Sri Shiva is known as "The One Who Enjoys Being Bathed". I don't remember the reference i learned that from, it may even have been a friend... And sure enough, any representation of Sri Vishnu or one of his Avatars is always covered in beautiful, sparkling Ornaments and Jewels, and Sri Shiva is usually not. In fact when Sri Shiva is depicted in a Human form, he only wears some combination of Tiger Skin, Rudraksha Beads/Malas and Snakes. He is usually found in the form of an oval stone arising from a base called a yoni, and His worship is rarely complete without an Abhishek Puja. Abhishek is usually performed with Water (usually mixed with Ganges Water) and Milk, but it can extend to Curd, Ghee, Sugar, and Honey - all five together create Paanchamrit, the 5 nectars. Also holy Ash, known as Bhasma, sandalwood paste and water, curd mixed with Haldi (Turmeric) and water, rose water, and fresh fruit juice. I've seen all these used and read of more.

Some temples allow the devotees to pour the offerings themselves, and in this case you have an option to catch a little of the runoff from the end of the yoni in your right hand and drink it.

The money put on the offering plate that holds the lamp is, I think, the money, (Dakshina), for the Pandit after the puja. There is usually a locked box near the shrine(s) of the Deity (or each Deity), and/or at the entrance to the main area that has a slit in it, called a Hundi. You put money offerings to the temple in there, on the sly.

These are all of the generalizations I can think of and a couple of specifics about Abishekam. I hope I have told nothing wrong, and that if I have more knowledgeable members will correct me and forgive my errors. Perhaps some of this may be helpful.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Vannakkam Noor: This question gets asked many times. Lots of people are 'new' to Hinduism. Don't feel alone.

Here's a link for you... http://www.hinduismtoday.com/modules...hp?itemid=5315

There are other sites that are helpful, and other spots on here. Aanandinii has given much help.

That all said, Hindu temples do vary significantly. If you feel comfortable sharing the location, please do. If it was my city, I'd volunteer to guide you.

Good luck with it.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Aanandinii View Post
    The Puja you saw is called Abhishekam, it is bathing the Deity or the Deitys symbol in specific things that the Lord likes. As far as I am aware - which is not much so take this with a grain of salt - this is most common for Shaiva and Shakti worship, and Deities associated with those sects. I don't know if Vaishnavas do this for Sri Vishnu... But I have read that Sri Vishnu is known as "The One Who Enjoys Being Adorned by Ornaments" and Sri Shiva is known as "The One Who Enjoys Being Bathed".
    Dear Anandini,

That is quite accurate about Sri Vishnu - that he likes to be adorned. However abhishekam is common for all deities in Vaishnavam too. Please see what I found regarding how to worship some devatas:

VISHNU ALANKARA PRIYA SHIVA ABHISHEKA PRIYA
    SOORYO NAMASKARA PRIYA DEVI PRADISKNA PRIYA
    BRAHMANO BHOJANA BHAJANA PRIYA

The Devatha Vishnu needs to be richly decorated, while abhisheka is very important to Lord Shiva. Numerous namaskaras are to be offered to Soorya bhagawan, while Mahaa Devi has to be circambulated. The Brahmins must absorb (by eating), the scriptures and sing the glory of the Lord.
    Abhishekam for Sri Vishnu can be seen here: http://www.vedavyasabharati.org/arti...t_4_sny06.html

Thanks & Regards.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Dear Anandini,

That is quite accurate about Sri Vishnu - that he likes to be adorned. However abhishekam is common for all deities in Vaishnavam too.

Abhishekam for Sri Vishnu can be seen here: http://www.vedavyasabharati.org/arti...t_4_sny06.html

Thanks & Regards.
    Namaskar Virajaji,

Wonderful information, thank you so much for sharing this and the link! May I ask where you found the quote? Thank you for broadening my understanding.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Dear Anandini ji,

I found it in this link: http://www.swamysharanam.org/article...hisheka_in.htm

Thanks & Regards,

Viraja

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Dear Anandini ji,

I found it in this link: http://www.swamysharanam.org/article...hisheka_in.htm

Thanks & Regards,

Viraja
    Namaste Virajaji,

It seems I must spread some karma around before I can +1 you again. So instead I write to thank you once more for this link. Wonderful information and very useful, thank you so much!

While I'm writing, I just found your thread on Abhishekam last night. Also a great thread, I must thank you for that as well. That thread is probably why I can't add some karma for you this morning.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Quote Originally Posted by Aanandinii View Post
    Namaste Virajaji,

It seems I must spread some karma around before I can +1 you again. So instead I write to thank you once more for this link. Wonderful information and very useful, thank you so much!

While I'm writing, I just found your thread on Abhishekam last night. Also a great thread, I must thank you for that as well. That thread is probably why I can't add some karma for you this morning.

~Pranam
    Lol! Anandini ji, I felt so bad after posting the Abhishekam thread, as it turns out, abhishekam is mandated in our Agamas and really cannot be discontinued or reduced to 'water-only' abhishekas! Thanks to some good souls who revealed this to me, and the moderator for his kindness in not taking any action against me for that thread! As some good people opine, millions of dollars are getting wasted every year in US and around the world both at govt-level and individual-level, why not bathe our deities with an heartfelt-amount of 'dhravya'? One good and knowledgeable member wrote to me,

1 Trillion USD is more than sufficient to change every indian life and here is a simple math...

128 Crore people = 1.28 billion individuals
    60% are poor = 1.28 * 0.6 = 0.768 billion poor individuals
    1 Trillion = 1000 billion
    1 USD = INR 60
    1 Trillion USD = 60 * 1000 = INR 60000 Billion
    So, now 1 poor individual of the country can enjoy his share amount of
    1 Poor Share = 60000/0.768 = INR 78125 per Trillion Spent!

Indian defense budget is 47 Trillion USD and go figure yourself why such big expenditure cannot eradicate the human problems of poverty?
    Like said above, when one India is capable of investing so much in its space programs, while having the potential instead to device plans for the upliftment of its poor using the same money instead, why a trivial 'abhishekam' should matter to us? After all, it makes better sense to use the materials which were created by the Lord for us...! Or so I think now...

Thanks for writing to me. So sweet of you, when I want reputation points I am going to ask you next!

Thanks & Regards,

Viraja

Thread Information