Thread: "A" "अ" "அ"

"A" "अ" "அ"

Greetings everyone!

I was having an interesting exchange opinions with a person who seemed to be on the opposite end of the spectrum with me.

Then suddenly I felt that everything I believed in was the total opposite of what he believed.

It seemed that we had the "battle" of what I call the "A" "अ" "அ"...

Well "A" is the 1st alphabet which we all learned in school..

Same with "अ" "அ"..our whole life begins with these alphabets.

But yet our whole life is also a struggle with these alphabets.

Confusing?

When we add the letter "A" "अ" "அ" to any word that becomes a struggle most of the time(even though there are exceptions)

Its then when the opposite starts..

Take Dharma for example...add "A" "अ" "அ" it becomes Adharma

Shanti..add "A" "अ" "அ"it becomes Ashanti.

Jnana..add "A" "अ" "அ" it becomes Ajnana.

Sura..add "A" "अ" "அ" it becomes Asura.

Well there are some exceptions too where the addition of "A" "अ" "அ" does not become a struggle..for example Himsa add "A" "अ" "அ" it becomes Ahimsa.

Interestingly AUM also starts with the A kara.

But whatever said and done the letters "A" "अ" "அ" are the main cause of Duality.

It seems that we start our life with Duality.

Even for Non Duality we need the letters "A" "अ" "அ"..Dvaita becomes Advaita...so even Advaita still has some elements of Duality at least grammatically.

So what is total union with Reality? Only silence I guess.

Re: "A" "अ" "அ"

Pranam

Try saying a single letter without A in it!

Lord Krishna says in Gita chapter 10

I am the letter "A" among the alphabets, among the compound words I am the dual compound, I am the endless time, I am----- (10.33)

aksaranam akaro 'smi
    dvandvah samasikasya ca
    aham evaksayah kalo
    dhataham visvato-mukhah

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Namaste,

Even the names can be included in the list I guess?

Take for instance 'Anasuya' (IAST: Anasūyā, अनसूया "free from envy and jealousy"), also known as Anusuya. Here 'asuya' means envy, the addition of 'A' kara changed to free from envy.

And then Anish - Invincible. I think 'nish' means someone who will be subordiate-to or will be and can be subdued, so in that sense Anish means one who cannot be destroyed.

And the word 'Amanushya' - As 'manushya' means with human intervention, 'Amanushya' means 'without human intervention' or 'something of a mysterious nature'.

I am not a Sanskrit scholar, so these are my simple attempts worthy of pursuit in deciphering the implications of 'A' kara.

Thanks.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by renuka View Post
    So what is total union with Reality? Only silence I guess.
    Namaste ji,

Beautiful thoughts, thank you for sharing them.

I completely agree, the beginning of all duality is the creation of the material universe, and involvement in it. My very limited understanding is that all material existence is vibration. Vibrations are represented in a sine wave, up and down, dual and yet one. Vibrations can also be represented as sound.

Step outside the material to the Absolute and all is silence. To do this, step outside of duality and know your Self, silence your mind and physical being.

If I may point to a thread, I feel that Yajvanji also makes graceful points surrounding duality and silence here. Taken together, your observations, Renukaji, and his are lovely counterpoints. Thank you for this.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    Pranam

Try saying a single letter without A in it!

Lord Krishna says in Gita chapter 10

I am the letter "A" among the alphabets, among the compound words I am the dual compound, I am the endless time, I am----- (10.33)

aksaranam akaro 'smi
    dvandvah samasikasya ca
    aham evaksayah kalo
    dhataham visvato-mukhah

Jai Shree Krishna
    Namaste ji,

Thank you for quoting this Geeta Verse..even though I read that post long back I did not see its relevance then..but now after you quoted it ..I can co relate it with what I wrote about the significance of A kara and Duality.

Quote Originally Posted by Aanandinii View Post
    Namaste ji,

Beautiful thoughts, thank you for sharing them.

I completely agree, the beginning of all duality is the creation of the material universe, and involvement in it. My very limited understanding is that all material existence is vibration. Vibrations are represented in a sine wave, up and down, dual and yet one. Vibrations can also be represented as sound.

Step outside the material to the Absolute and all is silence. To do this, step outside of duality and know your Self, silence your mind and physical being.

If I may point to a thread, I feel that Yajvanji also makes graceful points surrounding duality and silence here. Taken together, your observations, Renukaji, and his are lovely counterpoints. Thank you for this.

~Pranam
    Namaste,

Thank you for pointing out the thread of Yajvan.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~

namaste

Within kaśmir śaivism the phonemes ( akṣara ) are a big deal. One will note their arrangement by their owners mātṛkā & mālinī .
    Mātṛkā & mālinī ( the one that wears a mālā or garland) ~alphabet~ of 50 ( really phonemes) are found in the trika school. The difference between mātṛkā and mālinī is the arrangement of the phonemes. It is said that mālinī holds (mal = to hold , possess) within itself the entire universe. That is, the śakti found in these vibration-sounds are the same found in creation. So, within the offering of the parā-trīśikā vivaraṇa, by abhinavagupta-ji, the relationship of sound to tattva-s are called out.

This book is not entry level (casual) reading but is a wealth of knowledge. It is relevant to अ and आ ( a and ā) of this strings conversation.
    What would you find in this book ? Knowledge like the following:
    The 'a' sound form represents anuttara , the Supreme unpassable. It is considered cit śakti- the energy of consciousness. When combined with 'u' it is considered jñāna śakti, the energy of knowledge. Some call this 'u' unmeṣa उन्मेष- the act of opening the eyes. Since it is Śiva's eyes (anuttara) this is a symbol of creation just about to begin.

Very robust knowledge, not for everyone.

śivaṁ

Last edited by yajvan; 13 September 2014 at 05:57 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information