Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spontaneous yoga kriyas

Spontaneous yoga kriyas

Hello and Namaste,
    Does spontaneous involuntary pranic flow through the nadis happen only to long time practitioners or to beginners of yoga?

I think many people are faking it, I don't know I might be wrong but I guess one will experience spontaneous kriyas at some point or the other but many people just take postures and start shivering as though kriyas can be stimulated with their own will which isn't involuntary at all.

Did Patanjali ever mentioned about spontaneous kriyas?

Spontaneous Involuntary pranic flow do occur to long time practitioners for a short while and it gives a strong conviction for the existence of the subtle body, nadis, prana and how Ayurveda works.
    Last edited by yajvan; 12 September 2014 at 10:19 PM.

Re: Spontaneous yoga kriyas

Vannakkam: I personally think most people are faking it as well. I've only seen it once, and it totally seemed like attention seeking behaviour. Of course we both could be wrong.

Part of my sense comes from sitting with sannyasins. I've never seen it happen to a sannyasin. They're always very still, and can sit that way for hours. This doesn't draw much attention, yet if anybody has kundalini rising, it would be them.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste

I am not so sure I agree with some of the ideas in this thread regarding the Pranic Body, at least in context of kundalini practitioners or other actions/mind/spirit/ritual that may fire such a "flow", that is I do not agree that they are all "fakers".

I say so, because I have seen it happen and do not believe what I observed was fakery at all. But nor am I saying that what I saw, and felt as far as "powers present" is "good". I will remain neutral on these specifics as being "good" or "bad".

I have seen it more than once, several times. In each case these were practitioners of Siddha Yoga, these events happened in the late 1970s and early 1980s, in the United States, those I saw it happen to were both Indian and Euro-American.

Something took them, there was an energy like electric, this was beyond fakery in my opinion. Something definetly was also moving about. The first time I saw this, it frightened me. There was a Kali Murti in the ashram at the time, it was happening soon after there was a bhajan Kali Maa. Then followed by their Siddha Yoga, then it happened to about three. At least one, it was unexpected to being nothing more than what should be called spontaneous.

This was not about attention getting. Nor did they brag about it. Nor did what I saw leave that place and become part of some public campaign.

I came back several times over a period. Not everytime, but at least 3 more times I saw this happen. Also, I am not sure the connection of this "water" thing to the events I saw, perhaps no connection at all, but as this started then a weird "water" would hit the forehead and head, though I did not have a pranic event while others did, the "water" thing even happened to me. When you touch the forehead however, the "water" is gone.

The closest event that *might* approximate this personally happened right in front of visiting a Guru, myself and wife, a Guru and another Hindu "priest". All I can say is, I do not let trickery or emotion manifest false symptoms. But at a pause while the Guru spoke, an uncontrollable shaking happened (tight in feeling) like I almost had to grip and hang onto my crossed legs, everything turned bright white and I felt like I shot straight up and as if I was going to "shoot through the roof".

Enough said about that.

Nor do I discount "visions" as all fakery. Like some apparition in yogi like clothes going through a wall from the outside into a temple and the back of a Jagannath murti, and then another inside saying "something entered the Jagannath deity" (with multiple observers outside seeing the "yogi" going into the wall). Or a Radharani murti moving two feet out and to the right towards a Krishna deity.

The world is stranger than known.

Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste

I got intitation by a shaktipat guru 25 years ago. These kriyas are happening quite often. It is happening when Shree Kundalini Shakti is activated and moving in the system.
    It is not necessary for liberation however to have these Kriya's. It depends on which path one is traversing.

Shakti can manifest in different ways. A jnani on vedantic path are not have them for example, but there instead Jnana Shakti may be manifested.

But on certain Tantric paths this is a part of Sadhana.

I do not participate in any programs or public happenings. These movements happens in aloneness when appropiate. They are often a precursor of going into still meditative states.

Also Shakti is an intelligent force and do not want attention in public or when it is unappropriate. So in these 25 years of sadhana these kriyas have not happened in public, besides special siddha yoga meditation events which I participated in many years ago.

The energy of Temples is often overwhelming, especially on high days. So I feel some could be sensitive to this and react outwardly. Without realizing it. A person such as my husband, when he is ill or happy, you can tell by his expressions. But, when he has experienced such things you can see him just slip off...eyes closed.

But, there is another side to this.

Recently a woman came to our Temple, she was high on drugs (I could smell them on her)...she sat down beside us and began to roll her eyes into the back of her head. Over and over again she did this. In front of my family, many others and even the wonderful Pujari.

100% this was fraudulent.

When I would not abide to have her do this in front of the Pujari I kindly said goodbye and she immediately jumped up and said...wait...I would like a phone number!! Began having a full on conversation about perhaps going out to eat together. Totally recovered in less than a second.

It's not that easy...

Though, you know, it makes me so so glad to see this, because it gives me an understanding of why sometimes we westerners are met with a bit of hesitation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6gZfKGVsw8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efPgWUCXRxs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq0IE0ntbks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfBLJxl9QJQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvNeauBP43g

How can we know whether this is real or fake? As far as I know based on my knowledge Kriyas are an extremely rare event which occurs to long time practitioners without the control of their own will which is perfectly fine because it clears the blockages in our nadis and enables in the smooth flow of prana through out the subtle body which is an important step forward in one's spiritual path.

But what the hell is happening to these people? It seems these kriyas are slow and gradual or they could all be fakes. It is true that bodily vibrations do occur while one is doing meditation but not anything like I am seeing here with these people.
    Last edited by savithru; 17 September 2014 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Changed Font

Namaste,

I too have experienced powerful pranic flow, twice, neither time while seeking it. It is an extremely powerful thing, I have seen what I believe to be authentic kriyas once as well, and it bore little resemblance to the videos you linked in that it was far stronger and more sudden, like electric shocks moving through the body, which agrees with my own experience of pranic energy. I have a hard time believing that kriyas from such an energy would be so gradual, even in one well established, practiced and initiated in yoga.

I am also of the mind that while kriyas may not be all so rare, they are also not so common as one tends to see on the web or in classes. It is so easy for the mind to fool itself and the individual. For instance the girl in many of these videos, not that I am any learned judge but while I don't think her 'kriyas' are really kriyas, I do think that she believes they are. Her mind might be playing tricks (*), acting out what it thinks it has seen in others while she meditates so as to keep her thinking she is on the path, but actually creating an obstacle to true union.

But as I said, I am no yogini with expert knowledge with which to judge. I may well be wrong. And in the end it doesn't really matter. Others fooling themselves doesn't really bear on my own practice except to remind me of the mind's tricks to preserve itself, and to be careful in who I take as a Teacher.

NayaSurya, wow. Just... wow. People just never cease to surprise. If this kind of thing is common then I am very sorry. Just another reason for people to distrust westerners and their motives.

~Pranam

* - edited to add - there is an interesting sociological book/treatise that was written in 1841 regarding how the human mind tends to play these tricks on itself and individuals, particularly in superstitious, spiritual (<- as in different that superstition), and group-think hive-mind situations where people are guided by a supposed authority or teacher. It's called Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds by Charles Mackay. If one likes to read and learn about history, sociology and the mind, it is a very good read. The language is a bit dense due to the era it was written in though.
    Last edited by Aanandinii; 18 September 2014 at 08:07 AM.
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Quote Originally Posted by Aanandinii View Post
    Namaste,

I too have experienced powerful pranic flow, twice, neither time while seeking it. It is an extremely powerful thing, I have seen what I believe to be authentic kriyas once as well, and it bore little resemblance to the videos you linked in that it was far stronger and more sudden, like electric shocks moving through the body, which agrees with my own experience of pranic energy.
    Yes powerful involuntary electric shocks isn't it? As though you have been struck by some powerful force.

I have a hard time believing that kriyas from such an energy would be so gradual, even in one well established, practiced and initiated in yoga.
    Yes, that's my point, kriyas are never gradual, its sudden and involuntary.

I am also of the mind that while kriyas may not be all so rare, they are also not so common as one tends to see on the web or in classes. It is so easy for the mind to fool itself and the individual. For instance the girl in many of these videos, not that I am any learned judge but while I don't think her 'kriyas' are really kriyas, I do think that she believes they are. Her mind might be playing tricks, acting out what it thinks it has seen in others while she meditates so as to keep her thinking she is on the path, but actually creating an obstacle to true union.
    Yes I agree.

But as I said, I am no yogini with expert knowledge with which to judge. I may well be wrong.

~Pranam
    Wish we had any experts in Yoga here with years of experience on Kundalini.

Dear savithru ji,
    Do you see how its difficult to tell if another person is faking it or its real ? Even more so if the other person is a trickster.

And even if you "Experience" it ... the question would still remain in a more subtle form :

"Is the Mind Faking it for me ?"

Do you see that ?

Ultimately what does one want ? Satisfaction or an "Electric shock" or some so called "extra sensory powers" ?

A seeker after powers or experiences is indeed a very poor person Savithru ji. A normal poor man thinks he can earn a little money and become rich ... a experience seeker thinks that he shall become "Rich" through an "Experience". The fundamental assertion that "I am a Lacking individual" continues ...

Even before Isa upanishad starts ... there is the shanti manta: Purnam adah purnam idam ... meaning all this is complete !!
    there is no scope for "emptiness" ... since god is omni present. So being ... you are ever in the embrace of God ! Ever !

Love!
    Silence
    Come up, O Lions, and shake off the delusion that you are a sheep

Quote Originally Posted by silence_speaks View Post
    Dear savithru ji,
    Do you see how its difficult to tell if another person is faking it or its real ? Even more so if the other person is a trickster.
    Namaste,

What are Kundalini Kriyas?

Not really, an expert yogi can quickly recognize whether they are faking it or its real. Apart from that we could put them to test to check whether the nerve signals were voluntary or were invoked involuntary.

And even if you "Experience" it ... the question would still remain in a more subtle form :

"Is the Mind Faking it for me ?"

Do you see that ?
    Again you are wrong, according to science a person is considered to be dead when his heart beat stops and doctors from world wide can come and make tests on a person and check whether the person is alive or dead then a Siddha who has mastered the art of Parakaya Pravesha can enter the body of the dead man and animate the corpse this is a true miracle which is performed in front of everyone's eyes. The fact that such Siddhas do not exist today doesn't mean Siddhis do not completely exist at all.

Ultimately what does one want ? Satisfaction or an "Electric shock" or some so called "extra sensory powers" ?
    For your kind information genuine Kundalini Kriyas are perfectly normal and are experienced by long time practitioners of Yoga.

A seeker after powers or experiences is indeed a very poor person Savithru ji.
    That's a blind assumption you have of me you don't know that I do akhand unselfish Brahma upasana acknowledging the existence of both nirguna as well as Saguna Brahman which you are so completely ignorant of. A true Yogi never goes after supernatural powers but these powers come to him as he moves along his spiritual path as the tradition says and one should never be carried away with it.

A normal poor man thinks he can earn a little money and become rich ... a experience seeker thinks that he shall become "Rich" through an "Experience". The fundamental assertion that "I am a Lacking individual" continues ...
    Your view stinks of emptiness and nihilism for me which is in complete variance with Indian philosophy. We are Aryans masters of nature and not its slaves, please kindly wake up to the truth.

Even before Isa upanishad starts ... there is the shanti manta: Purnam adah purnam idam ... meaning all this is complete !!
    there is no scope for "emptiness" ... since god is omni present. So being ... you are ever in the embrace of God ! Ever !

Love!
    Silence
    And yet you followers of Shankara don't acknowledge that Saguna Brahman is as real as Nirguna Brahman and that there is a real world which is independent of the mind so without acknowledging the reality of Saguna Brahman how can you ever say that all this is complete. Shankara's advaita is nothing but Budhhists emptiness in disguise which I am never going to accept.
    Last edited by savithru; 20 September 2014 at 02:25 PM.

Thread Information