Thread: How to find my true "Dharma"in life

How to find my true "Dharma"in life

Namaste,

Firstly, forgive me if i am posting this in the wrong forum but i was wandering how does one know their Dharma in life? Are they any ways to find if I am doing the right thing or if my Duty is something else?

Any references / comments etc will be gladly appreciated.

Hari om,

Dhanya

Re: How to find my true "Dharma"in life

Dear Dhanya,

One's dharma is to as much productive and contributing to the welfare of others in the immediate family and the society as much as possible. You can do this at any capacity - you can be a humble homemaker who invests some time in voluntary service to the community, or you can choose any profession and render your dedicated services in that capacity.

In Tamil they say, "One who teaches to read and write is equal to god" speaking of the teaching profession.

In Tirukkural it is said, "Only agriculturalists live life (in dignity), others are mere followers behind them".

So you see, each profession has its own merits and people from every profession are needed for the society. In today's world, lot of difference in dignity is unfortunately assigned to different roles. Whereas a person fulfilling his dharma would reject such biases and stick to what he/she finds fulfilling to do, at the capacity he/she is capable of. In any chosen role, you should be a role-model to others. Nobody, for instance, chooses to be priest as it does not involve making a lot of money, but can you imagine a temple without a priest? Similarly for every role.

So choose something that you enjoy doing, and doing at a capacity that will allow you to render your services for your family unhindered. Render whole-hearted service to the Lord. You may or may not be in a position to be generous with your money, but you can be generous with words. I have a friend who would talk to me for 1 1/2 hrs each time but, every second is spent talking only about her. She never inquires after my welfare, and she cannot remember even those few details I manage to tell her. Words have the power to comfort and soothe others, and are completely free, therefore be generous with words, be a good listener and remember others' sorrow and try to offer them consolace with words.

These are some of the few general pointers I can think of for the question of 'how to follow one's dharma'. Hope it helps to some extent!

Thanks,

Viraja
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Also, my humble advice, for general questions like this, one might choose to post in 'New to Sanathana Dharma' or 'I am a Hindu' forum, because there are some wonderful, genuine Shaivas here who can offer their perspective too!

Kind regards.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Vannakkam Dhanya ... I believe you're referring to svadharma, or individual dharma. I've always found it tough. Personally I had no problem, but I remember an acquaintance who gave it so much thought and fret that it interfered with his dharma, in my opinion. He kept changing jobs, changing careers, and reminded me of my father who went looking for the best berry bush (childhood times, picking wild berries) . By the time he found a better bush, Mom would have 2 buckets picked.

I had to restrain myself from yelling at my acquaintance ... "Get a job and keep it! That's your dharma!"

Best wished in feeling comfortable with whatever you do.

Aum Namasivaya

Dear Viraja and Bhaktar ( I hope i got your names right) ,

After reading your post i did ponder about my basic actions that i may be doing differently as from a rather young age I was thought that Dharma = purpose in life, something that one has to go in search for until they get it.

However, after reading your post, i did realise that instead of going on an epic search to find my Dharma , I should just start with what I have and slowly move on.

Thank you so much for your help. It came at a time when i really needed it.

Hari Om,

Dhanya.

Thread Information