Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Hinduism and collective sufferings of Hindus

  1. #1
    Join Date
    July 2012
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,965
    Rep Power
    2544

    Hinduism and collective sufferings of Hindus

    Namaste,

    Since past 1000 yrs (or more), first Hindus have been suffering at the hands of Islamic rulership, and then under British rule.

    Hindus take to religion very seriously, we are still a proud religion whose adherents practice joint-family system or for the large part take care of the elderly. We have very many other virtues also, including charity, much the same as any civilized Western nation.

    However, we see that Hindus of today especially living in India are suffering poverty, corruption, being chased out of their own land owing to terrorism, and a myriad of other reasons due to which Hindus are not living the same life of a Westerner.

    What could be the reasons for the same? Why are Hindus suffering despite being good, as good as a Westerner?

    Please discuss spiritual, socio-cultural, economic, political and other possible reasons.
    Last edited by Viraja; 13 September 2014 at 07:03 PM.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

  2. #2
    Join Date
    December 2013
    Location
    Anāhata
    Age
    46
    Posts
    394
    Rep Power
    1764

    Re: Hinduism and collective sufferings of Hindus

    Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Why are Hindus suffering despite being good, as good as a Westerner?
    Namaskar Virajaji,

    Much of your question I cannot answer, as in this birth I am a westerner and so not qualified. However, when I read this last sentence I feel there is strong heartache behind it, which I feel I have also perceived in others. It is this I wish to address.

    There is a metaphor that comes to mind... Why would a loving God allow such things as we see in the world today - the suffering and death of innocents when so many who seem so ignorant or even 'evil' live perfectly happy lives, plundering the hard work or the meek? Is God ignoring or punishing those who suffer?

    We tend to see things from the short term of our own current lives and the nearest generations to us. But over the long, long, long game, we cannot see or judge. The aggression of Abrahamic cultures is simply due to a level of ignorance and aggressive barbarism which, in that eons long game, was inflicted on them as well, long ago. Most of us don't know any better and haven't for a very long time. It isn't an excuse and I can't apologize for others. People must be taught to be better, from childhood if possible. It is my personal belief that Great Mother India has nurtured and preserved wisdom and knowledge for the world through everything, and however it may look just now, She is on the rise again.

    ~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

    Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

  3. #3
    Join Date
    October 2012
    Location
    Bhaarath
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,113
    Rep Power
    1494

    Re: Hinduism and collective sufferings of Hindus

    Namaste Viraja ji

    Please discuss spiritual, socio-
    cultural, economic, political and
    other possible reasons.
    You have opened a can of worms :-)

    I am not sure how many members / guests will be offended with my reply.

    I am not criticizing the person but the ideals that were propagated. So kindly spare me.
    In my limited capacity, two thing that contributed to this great feat is

    1. Selfish and convenient implementation of Manu Neethi

    2. Secularism defined and propagated by Sri Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi.
    Anirudh...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    September 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    66
    Posts
    7,191
    Rep Power
    5026

    Re: Hinduism and collective sufferings of Hindus

    Vannakkam Viraja: I don't see it as a religious problem. The religious minorities also suffer there, and elsewhere on this planet, like sub-Sahara Africa, conditions are far worse.

    I see it as an economic problem, and in particular distribution of wealth.

    Linking poverty to Hinduism is something some of our religious foes love to do.

    Aum Namasivaya

  5. #5
    Join Date
    July 2012
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,965
    Rep Power
    2544

    Re: Hinduism and collective sufferings of Hindus

    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    I don't see it as a religious problem. The religious minorities also suffer there, and elsewhere on this planet, like sub-Sahara Africa, conditions are far worse.
    Maybe their gods don't have much power! But kidding aside, honestly I would ask everyone why they think despite all our pujas glorifying gods both at individual level and at societal level which include yagyas performed praying for rain, praying for peace and so forth, our gods haven't blessed India and Hindus to live the lifestyle of somebody born in the West. I have frequently heard India is a 'karma bhoomi' (land of dutifulness) and not a 'Bhoga bhoomi' (land of pleasures), maybe this has got something to do with it.

    Linking poverty to Hinduism is something some of our religious foes love to do.

    Aum Namasivaya
    As I said, I'm only curious to know how come despite mostly having theists who worship god on a daily basis, Hindus and Hindu mainland suffers so much hardships. The poverty thing is an observation, but not intended to look down upon India. But, I thank you for bringing this up.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

  6. #6
    Join Date
    July 2012
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,965
    Rep Power
    2544

    Re: Hinduism and collective sufferings of Hindus

    Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    1. Selfish and convenient implementation of Manu Neethi

    2. Secularism defined and propagated by Sri Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi.
    I'm inclined to ask how, but I will save that for the PM's.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

  7. #7
    Join Date
    July 2012
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,965
    Rep Power
    2544

    Re: Hinduism and collective sufferings of Hindus

    Quote Originally Posted by Aanandinii View Post
    We tend to see things from the short term of our own current lives and the nearest generations to us. But over the long, long, long game, we cannot see or judge. The aggression of Abrahamic cultures is simply due to a level of ignorance and aggressive barbarism which, in that eons long game, was inflicted on them as well, long ago. Most of us don't know any better and haven't for a very long time. It isn't an excuse and I can't apologize for others. People must be taught to be better, from childhood if possible. It is my personal belief that Great Mother India has nurtured and preserved wisdom and knowledge for the world through everything, and however it may look just now, She is on the rise again.

    ~Pranam
    Namaste,

    I like the positive note. So true, I'm looking at the present status of India (which is still good compared to human values in some countries as EMji too stated above) and thinking 'how come we aren't doing so good?'. But India has had a prestine past too. Your positive note suggests those times are to come back!
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

  8. #8
    Join Date
    October 2012
    Location
    Bhaarath
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,113
    Rep Power
    1494

    Re: Hinduism and collective sufferings of Hindus

    Namaste Viraja ji

    I'm inclined to ask how, but I will save that for the PM's.
    OK ;-)
    Anirudh...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    February 2014
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    264
    Rep Power
    630

    Re: Hinduism and collective sufferings of Hindus

    Dear friend ,
    poverty and lack of opportunities is the root cause .In times of plenty and abundance all people think and talk high ideals . But when , even the bare necessities are very difficult to meet with , the ideals go to winds .Now India is progressing in the economic front and so the things might change in the near future . Apart from that even nations are subject to the law of karma . Here karma does not mean bad yoga . It means the deeds done . So much of injustice was done to many even in India with all her past glory and scriptural preachings , for which a price has to be paid .

  10. #10
    Join Date
    July 2012
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,965
    Rep Power
    2544

    Re: Hinduism and collective sufferings of Hindus

    Quote Originally Posted by saswathy View Post
    Dear friend ,
    poverty and lack of opportunities is the root cause .In times of plenty and abundance all people think and talk high ideals . But when , even the bare necessities are very difficult to meet with , the ideals go to winds .Now India is progressing in the economic front and so the things might change in the near future . Apart from that even nations are subject to the law of karma . Here karma does not mean bad yoga . It means the deeds done . So much of injustice was done to many even in India with all her past glory and scriptural preachings , for which a price has to be paid .
    Very rightly said, I would really love to hear about these very injustices done by Hindus that leads to present day's difficulties Hindus face in many fronts, but as Anirudh ji said, fear that might lead to arguments. Maybe another time when there is right focus on the subject. Thanks for your insight, appreciate it.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Non-Religious Hindus
    By Amala in forum Canteen
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 05 June 2012, 12:08 PM
  2. khalsa rejects
    By GURSIKH in forum Sikhism
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 26 March 2012, 02:28 PM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 18 March 2012, 09:38 PM
  4. A Call to ALL Hindus to stop patronizing abrahamics!
    By TatTvamAsi in forum Hot Topics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05 April 2010, 07:00 PM
  5. Hinduism and India's Decline
    By suresh in forum Hot Topics
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 24 April 2008, 10:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •