Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian Recipees Thread?

Vegetarian Recipees Thread?

Namaskar ji,

I am not much of a cook myself, but my other half, who has been Vegetarian for far longer than I, has been learning to cook Indian cuisine and loves it, (to be honest, we both do ). There just is not a whole lot of balance to a western Vege diet, and of what there is, there are several things neither of us enjoys eating - for instance neither of us particularly enjoy Tofu. But Indian cuisine has no lack of variety, flavor and is well balanced to boot, when followed properly (and being mindful to sometimes supplement where needed).

We now have many notebooks full of hand-written recipes, some better than others, but all recipes we enjoy. It's becoming a lot to dig through and is sometimes in a bit of a mess. So, I have begun a secret project to transcribe and catalog these recipes. The end result of the project will be a PDF and also a printed book as an anniversary gift.

But now that I'm going through these I was wondering if others would be interested in a thread to share recipes? For instance, for English speakers there is some small amount of a learning curve in ingredient names and methods that it could be helpful to have in one thread. And if others wanted to share any of their favorite recipes, that would also be fantastic...

Would there be interest in a thread like this?

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Re: Vegetarian Recipees Thread?

Namaste Aanandinii ji,

In TamilNadu, Mallika Badrinath is a famous Chef and author of many recipe books. I have several of her books in Tamil language. One of my favorite recipes is 'Mushroom Masala' prepared with a generous amount of onions, garlic, mushrooms and coconut. If there is interest, I'll post the recipe.

Thanks & Regards,

Viraja
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Vannakkam: As a subset of the publishing industry, the cooking section is one of the more competitive. A walk through any large bookstore will show this.

For on-line stuff, I like this site.. https://www.youtube.com/user/Manjulaskitchen and there are several more, each with its on flavor.

So ... Aanandinii, I think it's admirable that you're collecting for personal use, but there is so much out there available for your average reader on-line. You can just name any food, add the word 'recipe' to it and get 20 hits just like that. It's magic, compared to the good old days, of scribbled recipes.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaskar,

Virajaji, thank you. Sounds like an interesting recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    For on-line stuff, I like this site.. https://www.youtube.com/user/Manjulaskitchen and there are several more, each with its on flavor.

So ... Aanandinii, I think it's admirable that you're collecting for personal use, but there is so much out there available for your average reader on-line. You can just name any food, add the word 'recipe' to it and get 20 hits just like that. It's magic, compared to the good old days, of scribbled recipes.
    Very true, EMji, thank you for your reply. We also love Manjula's Kitchen and have learned a lot at that site. Also Vah Chef at VahRehVah.com. Certainly it's far easier to look up and come by information online today. But how many people try new recipes completely blind, with no frame of reference? Not everyone might have the time and desire to dig for new and interesting recipes and learn.

Sharing good recipes tried and enjoyed by others is something different than a library of cookbooks either online or off, and can be helpful to both people new to the cuisine and those just looking to try something different from a region they haven't explored before. There are regional spins on all kind of things, from kichdees to masalas, one may not know the name of to even look up, Particularly if someone is western and in an area where they can't easily try Desi foods or may not know the English names for some ingredients. And there is nothing like an old family recipe if people want to share, like my grandmother's apple pie or our good friend and neighbor's spins on family recipes you will never find on Vah Chef or Manjula's kitchen. Regional recipes written in languages we westerners usually can't access, like Virajaji's Mallika Badrinath Cookbooks in Tamil would be fantastic too, if people want to contribute.

It was just a thought that the Vegetarian section of a forum such as HDF, which is a resource for knowledge and discussion, could benefit with a resource for practical cooking and sharing of good food in the midst of conversations about the practical aspects and finer points of Vegetarianism and its practice as a Sanatani. But, I haven't seen such a thread yet - though I only went back three years - so it seemed better to ask. Perhaps there's just not enough interest to sustain such a thread.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Mushroom Masala:
    ============

Ingredients:

Button Mushroom - 200 gm
    Big Onions - 2
    Tomatoes - 3
    Salt & sugar - to taste
    Green Pepper - 1 big
    Oil - for frying

Fry in oil and then grind to paste the following:

Onion - 1
    Scraped Coconut - 2 tblspoons
    Red Chillies - 8
    Pepper - 1/2 tspoon
    Cinnamon - 1 small bit
    Cloves - 3
    Garlic - 7 cloves, peeled
    Ginger - 1 inch piece

Method:

1. Wash the mushrooms first in water, then in warm water with Lemon juice, dry.

2. Cut the mushrooms into desired size.

3. Cut onions, tomatoes and Green pepper into lengthy and small pieces.

4. Heat some oil in a pan and fry the onions in it.

5. After onions are fried, add cut Green pepper and fry.

6. Once the Green peppers are well cooked (fried), add the tomatoes and fry until the water dried out.

7. Now add the Mushrooms (chopped) and fry for a little bit.

8. Now add the ground masala and add salt and sugar to taste (the recipe is supposed to be salty).

9. Fry till oil separates out.

10. Add little bit of water and boil the mix until desired consistency is reached.

Namaste,

I have tried a version of the following without the tamarind sauce and without any extra spices in the pan mentioned in the following,

http://hindudharmaforums.com/showpos...4&postcount=27

Sometimes, one has to ease up on the spices in these fancy recipes, else your body becomes one big spice holder.

Pranam.

Vannakkam Aanandinii et al: I didn't mean to dampen the spirit of this thread. Everything posted looks great.

Here in this house we're incredibly basic cooks. Recipe? What's that?

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Honestly I think a section can be dedicated to 'Microwave cooking of Indian Sweets'. Not many know of easy means of cooking sweets in Microwave. We typically make a sweet called 'Thirattu Paal' (curdled milk sweet) for Krishna Jayanthi. It can be prepared on normal days too... it tastes delicious! Not many know it can be prepared in mere 8 min. on a microwave using minimal ingredients whereas cooking on stove top, it takes an hour!

I can PM to anyone the microwave procedure, or post it here too!

Thanks & Regards.

Namaskar ji,

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Sometimes, one has to ease up on the spices in these fancy recipes, else your body becomes one big spice holder.
    LOL, my palate has always preferred a lot of spice - I surprise people sometimes. My other half, not so much. So we have found that masala and chutney powders added to taste after are sometimes best. I've learned not to overdo it though, as you say. Nothing like masala sweat for the next few days. Kind of like the marinara sweat my mother's side of the family can get - first generation Italians.

Thank you so much for the recipe and the link! I never saw that thread, it looks like a similar idea to what I posited and it died out. Is it too old to resurrect? It's only been 2 years...

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Aanandinii et al: I didn't mean to dampen the spirit of this thread.
    My apologies, EMji, if I made you feel that you did. I don't think you did at all, you made good points that are useful for people to know if they are interested in learning on their own. It looks like you tried to start a similar idea a couple of years ago, which I missed before too. Anyway, it's nearly impossible to dampen my spirit.

Sometimes the simplest foods are the best. Would love to hear some of your favorites. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Honestly I think a section can be dedicated to 'Microwave cooking of Indian Sweets'. Not many know of easy means of cooking sweets in Microwave. We typically make a sweet called 'Thirattu Paal' (curdled milk sweet) for Krishna Jayanthi....
    I can PM to anyone the microwave procedure, or post it here too!
    Now there's an idea I can really get behind. Mmm, sweets... I like Thirattu Paal, I would love to know your recipe!

You make me think of microwave ladoos and dhokla... will need to dig out those recipes.

Thanks so much for that masala recipe! We will try it soon.

My first offering then is a Vah Chef recipe for Pineapple Kadi. This has become a staple for us, it's simple and is great over rice. It uses Coconut Milk instead of Cow's Milk or Curd, but make sure you get a good brand because thinner oilier brands don't work well in this recipe.

The original recipe is Here.

Ingredients:
    1 tbsp Besan atta (chickpea flour)
    4-5 number Cloves
    2 cup Coconut milk
    1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
    1 springs Curry leaves
    pinch Fenugreek seeds
    1 tsp Green chillies, crushed
    pinch Hing (asafoetida)
    1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
    1 tbsp Oil
    1/2 cup Pineapple, cut into small pieces
    1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
    0 Salt to taste
    pinch Sugar
    1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
    Water as needed

Method:
    Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and when it gets hot enough, add mustard seeds. When they start crackling, add cumin seeds, cloves, pinch of fenugreek seeds, few curry leaves and crushed green chillies.

Saut� and add pineapple pieces and mix. Add pinch of hing, turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Add little water and cook the pineapple pieces for about 2 minutes. Add salt to taste and sugar (if you are adding 1 tsp of salt then add 2 tsp of sugar).

Add 2 cups of coconut milk and bring to a boil.

Add 1 tbsp of besan atta (chickpea flour) in little water and add this to the coconut milk mixture little by little stirring continuously until it slightly thickens - or thickens to your taste.

After cooking for about 1 or 2 minutes, the mixture will thicken. The consistency should be that of a kadi or soup. It should not be too thick.

Be sure to fish out the cloves before your serve! There are few things that can ruin a good meal faster than biting down on a whole clove. The only thing I can think of that's worse is biting a cooked cardamom pod.

We have not tried it as a pina colada as the video jokes. =)

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Quote Originally Posted by Aanandinii View Post
    Now there's an idea I can really get behind. Mmm, sweets... I like Thirattu Paal, I would love to know your recipe!
    Microwave Thirattu Paal:
    ==================

Ingredients:

1 can (14 oz) Sweetened Condensed Milk
    2 tbsp Curd (Plain yoghurt - should be kinda sour)
    1 tbsp Ghee

Preparation:

1. In a heavy corning vessel or microwavable container, dump the can full of condensed milk.

2. Add the curd and Ghee to the condensed milk. Mix well.

3. Microwave on high for 2 min. Take out and mix well.

4. Continue microwaving for a duration of 2 min followed by a gap, during which time it should be taken out and stirred/mixed well.

5. After doing this process 3 or 4 times (for a total of 6 - 8 min), the mixture would have turned quite brownish and very thick it can be almost rolled into a rough ball. Will not stick to the pan anymore.

6. Stop cooking. Take out, chill if preferred and serve.

Thread Information