Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian Recipees Thread?

Re: Vegetarian Recipees Thread?

Namaskar Viraja ji,

Wow! Thank you so much, I've used this recipe a couple of times now, including bringing for prasad, and it's fantastic! I wish I could give you +1000.

I'm sorry I haven't posted more yet, I've needed to concentrate more on completing gift projects than posting, so have been offline a lot. I will post more when more are complete and I have some more free time. In the meantime, if anyone has recipes they would like to share, please do. They needn't be Indian cuisine.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Namaste Ji,

In the Thirattu Paal reciple,how to make condensed sweet milk at home?

I would like to try the mushroom reciple but I can't.I can count the number of times I had mushroom,once when my school friend got it for his lunch I tasted it and another two or three more times outside.Every time I go the supermarket I feel tempted to buy it but my orthodox mother refuses to cook it.

He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Dear Mushroom-priya VaishNavs

Mushroom grows in the dark, and thereby has a tAmasic quality to it, so somebody here said their Mom was orthodox for not cooking mushroom, but really she is being sAttvic-scientific thinking what is good for you.

-------
    The most frequently micowave-cooked Indian dish for me is Idli.
    Gits instant Idli. mix with oil and water, and pour into greased microwavable idli-pArta. Cook for 4 minutes per pAtra (dish with 4 idli moulds), so 8 mins for 8 idlis, 1 min per idli. I also make idli in a lightly greased ramekin. Perfect.
    ---

ॐ सह नाववतु ।
    सह नौ भुनक्तु ।
    सह वीर्यं करवावहै ।
    तेजस्वि नावधीतमस्तु मा विद्विषावहै ।
    ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ॥
    Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karavaavahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhiitam-Astu Maa Vidvissaavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Meaning:
    1: Om, May HE (Brahman) Protect us Both (the Teacher and the Student),
    2: May HE Nourish us Both,
    3: May we Work Together with Energy and Vigour,
    4: May our Study be Enlightening and not give rise to Hostility,
    5: Om, Peace, Peace, Peace.
    http://greenmesg.org/mantras_slokas/...ana_vavatu.php
    Last edited by smaranam; 13 March 2015 at 08:30 PM.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Namaste Smaranam,

Thanks so much for the clarification. Is this also the reasoning behind certain root vegetables and root spices being considered un-satvik? Thank you as well for the links to more threads. I had seem one of them before, but both of the threads are too old to have been revived by forum rules so I thought it best to start a new one.

I didn't know you could make idli in the microwave! Wow, it seems like anything can be made in one. We usually just make idli in a pot with steam plates, and we also use the Gits mix, it's our favorite and it always comes out good. We've tried to make our own batter but we can't ever get them to come out right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram116040 View Post
    Namaste Ram, here in the US we simply buy it at the store in 14oz cans, thus the amount in the recipe. You should be able to buy it in India too, I think. But it's not difficult to make at home, just time consuming. The stuff sold is a bit more involved than this, but in essence "condensed milk" is the same thing as evaporated milk - milk slow-boiled down to remove the water until it's thick. Condensed milk is different because it has a little more water and a lot of sugar, making a kind of milk syrup. You can find many recipes for making it online, but if you want to make Thirattu Paal and can't buy condensed milk, you may as well stick to making the sweet directly instead of making more work for yourself.

~Pranam-s
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Quote Originally Posted by Aanandinii View Post
    Namaskar Viraja ji,

Wow! Thank you so much, I've used this recipe a couple of times now, including bringing for prasad, and it's fantastic! I wish I could give you +1000.
    ~Pranam
    Dear Aanandinii,

I'm glad you liked the recipe. I feel happy someone could use this little recipe to advantage, as it is really so easy to prepare it!

Regards,

Viraja
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste Ji,

I would like to try the mushroom reciple but I can't.I can count the number of times I had mushroom,once when my school friend got it for his lunch I tasted it and another two or three more times outside.Every time I go the supermarket I feel tempted to buy it but my orthodox mother refuses to cook it.

Ram,

What are you talking about? Condensed milk is available everywhere in India, is it not? I remember getting it from Aavin stores that sell icecream...
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    Dear Mushroom-priya VaishNavs

Mushroom grows in the dark, and thereby has a tAmasic quality to it, so somebody here said their Mom was orthodox for not cooking mushroom, but really she is being sAttvic-scientific thinking what is good for you.
    Namaste Ji,

I sometimes suffer from a disease called Bhojana priyavatvam,so sometimes my jihva is deluded.After you said about tamastic food I realized that my mother is right and it is me who is heterodox sometimes.

P.S. I might have been an elephant in one my past lives?Effect of those vasanas on the appetite?

Last edited by Ram11; 10 November 2014 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Remembered my past life?
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Ram,

What are you talking about? Condensed milk is available everywhere in India, is it not? I remember getting it from Aavin stores that sell icecream...
    Namaste Viraja Ji,

Yes,it is available here.
    Ayyoh!But haven't you heard the recent news that 70% of milk in India is fake/adulterated or made using dangerous chemical powders.Also,cows are injected with some banned hormones to force them to produce milk.

In our house,we are all lacto-vegetarians and milk is the most important source of protein for us.But we decided to gradually reduce consumption of processed milk products and instead use locally supplied milk.So,I was wondering if there was an alternative way to make condensed milk instead of buying a packaged can.

Made delicious tarka dal this evening. Previous attempts failed, mainly because I was too impatient and didn't cook the lentils for long enough, or soak beforehand. This time I brought it to a boil and then let it simmer for two or so hours and added a teaspoon of cream for richness. I also made separate spicy oil with onions and then stirred it through afterwards. Served with rice, mango chutney, cucumbers & tomato.

Namaste Ram,
    Also,cows are injected with some banned hormones to force them to produce milk... ...we decided to gradually reduce consumption of processed milk products and instead use locally supplied milk.So,I was wondering if there was an alternative way to make condensed milk instead of buying a packaged can.
    This is a big problem here too, perhaps bigger as this culture has almost no respect for food animals or cows. Hormones, nasty and inhumane treatment, chemicals, antibiotics, experiments and probably something you might never consider - what we feed them. We recently started buying milk products and butter from local dairy farms with good practices when it comes to keeping cows and who still keep them when their milk slows. It doesn't take much in the region I live to find good local sources, and though it can cost a little more it's also fresher. Strangely though, grass-fed butter smells like steak when clarified to ghee... it's a little discomfiting.

Our neighbors asked about it and we mentioned we made sure they were also primarily grass fed with only grain supplement in winter, thinking they would like to know that. They were surprised and asked what else you would feed a cow. What else indeed. Factory farming is a true nightmare. But don't just do this with your dairy, do it with all your produce if you can. The food is in general more nutrient rich when not mass-produced - at least here in the US that's the case, and again in the US it's really important to support local farmers as they are slowly disappearing under the pressures of large industry growers.

Quote Originally Posted by KasparHauser View Post
    Made delicious tarka dal this evening. Previous attempts failed, mainly because I was too impatient and didn't cook the lentils for long enough, or soak beforehand. This time I brought it to a boil and then let it simmer for two or so hours and added a teaspoon of cream for richness. I also made separate spicy oil with onions and then stirred it through afterwards. Served with rice, mango chutney, cucumbers & tomato.
    Namaste KasparHauser,
    It sounds like you need a pressure cooker. Cuts WAY down on the cook time, I don't know what we did before we got one.

That meal also sounds fantastic! Tarka Dal, eh? Is the recipe online or from a book?

~Pranam-s
    ~~~~~
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Thread Information