Thread: Meaning of mantra

Meaning of mantra

Hello, can someone tell me the meaning of this mantra?
    I just know it's a variation of Mṛtyunjaya by Shankaracharya.

om jūm saḥ mama palaya palaya saḥ jūṁ om

Thanks.

Re: Meaning of mantra

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté
    Quote Originally Posted by ale84 View Post
    Hello, can someone tell me the meaning of this mantra?
    I just know it's a variation of Mṛtyunjaya by Shankaracharya.
    om jūm saḥ mama palaya palaya saḥ jūṁ om
    Just a small insight on this .... जूं is jūṁ, and means to insight quickly, to urge. And what is being urged ? साः or sāḥ ( I chose long ā ).
    Now this sāḥ is a very big deal. I will let you find this on HDF as much can be written about it.

Now, the very important part. Some mantra meanings are not for the consumption of comprehension but for the use of its sound quality and its inherent vibration. That is, once the mind gets hold of the meaning it stays on the surface. We ~think~ knowing the meaning is the best way to go; well sometimes it is not. It is the vibration, sound quality.
    Allowing the mind to lock into the meaning we allow it to just inspect it play with it, analyze it. Our minds are tuned to 'finding out'. This keeps it in control. We wish to go beyond control. Control of mind is limiting.
    While meaning is mildly interesting it is not the be-all end-all approach to mantra-s. Especially when one enters the seed ( bīja ) sounds.

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: Meaning of mantra

Hello, yajvan

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Just a small insight on this .... जूं is jūṁ, and means to insight quickly, to urge. And what is being urged ? साः or sāḥ ( I chose long ā ).
    Now this sāḥ is a very big deal. I will let you find this on HDF as much can be written about it.

Now, the very important part. Some mantra meanings are not for the consumption of comprehension but for the use of its sound quality and its inherent vibration. That is, once the mind gets hold of the meaning it stays on the surface. We ~think~ knowing the meaning is the best way to go; well sometimes it is not. It is the vibration, sound quality.
    Allowing the mind to lock into the meaning we allow it to just inspect it play with it, analyze it. Our minds are tuned to 'finding out'. This keeps it in control. We wish to go beyond control. Control of mind is limiting.
    While meaning is mildly interesting it is not the be-all end-all approach to mantra-s. Especially when one enters the seed ( bīja ) sounds.

iti śivaṁ
    Thanks for clearing my doubt. I wasn't sure if it was important or not to know the meaning.
    I'll try to focus on the sound.

Thread Information