Thread: Does God have desires?

Does God have desires?

Hari Bol!
    All glories to Sri Guru and Gaurnanga!

Does the Supreme lord have desires?

Thank you,

Jai Sri Radhe-Syam!
    "Hare Krisha Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama, Rama Rama Hare Hare" ¬ The Glorious Mahamantra. Chant this 108 times a day and keep Samsara away

Re: Does God have desires?

Namaste Samraat Bhismadeva Maurya

We had a discussion about this in another thread: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=13232

I have two posts there.

regards

Om
    Namaste

God and desire - is incompatible !!!

However it depends how you define god.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

Greetings,

God has no unfulfilled desires for himself. This is because our scriptures declare God to be all-blissful.

So, why does God act then, at all, assuming action necessarily has to be preceded by a desire?

The desires that motivate God to act (such as acts of creation, act of incarnating as an avatara, etc.) are desires not for God's benefit but desires for our benefit.

Of course, there are also fulfilled.

So, while God does have desires, these are all fulfilled. There is nothing that God wants that has remained unfulfilled.

Namaste

Of course God has a desires. His wishes are realized through the many works that He does for us, but also for His own pleasure. It makes no sense to say that God does everything for us and nothing for Himself.
    The Lord participates in many lilas (pastimes) not only to satisfy his devotees, but that He himself can have an experience of the transcendental pleasure and rasa (charm of pleasure, delight, transcendental taste or flavour of bhakti love and affection) in relationship with his dedicated devotees. So He performs His eternal lila (pastimes) and feels pleasure in it.
    It makes no sense to say that God does everything for us and nothing for Himself. Think about it. Why would He do the lilas (pastimes) if He would personally not enjoyed them? It does not make sense to think thus.
    Hence the conclusion: He does what He does for his own pleasure too!

It is only some insentient material object such as a dead stone or a rock that has no desires, no consciousness, doesn't do anything, doesn't think anything, doesn't want anything, doesn't feel anything, doesn't engage into some action to feel a pleasure, etc.
    The Supreme Lord Krishna is not like that. Lord Krishna is not a dead rock without actions, without feelings, without pleasure!

regards

wow.. nice question!!

kallol: god and desire incompatible?

Vaishnava view: Hari had the desire to create, hence he created.
    Pradyumna(desire) is the son of Krishna(God).
    (Before clubs are thrown at me... That's what I've read, Pradyumna is the entity 'desire.' I'm not saying I'm right.. It's what I've read)

depends on how I define god? Let's see if the following view, with a different definition of god has anything to say.

Shaiva view: Hara (God) burnt down Desire (Kama) (so far proves they're incompatible, hey wait) but gave birth to Desire or Passion (Skanda, he is referred to as God of Passion, by some scholars and I'm not a scholar by the way)

Sure, desire gives rise to sadness.
    But, it also gives rise to happiness.

Depends on whether it is good or bad and how you use it.
    As Brahma Jijnasa said, God is not a non-living thing, he is living like you and me, so by virtue of that he can feel like you and me, but doesn't imply that his desires are the same as yours and mine. "I want money." what does he want? "May you be happy my child."

Wundermunk . A perfect answer Wundermunk.

Jai Sri Krishna!
    I don't know who I am, nor what I am.
    I don't know what I need to know.
    I don't know who you are, nor what you are.
    All I know is that you love me, Oh Sarvathma.
    Lead me on the righteous path, so that I may reach you.

Namaskar,

Interesting to run across this today. Just this morning I was re-reading I book I ran across last fall and quite enjoyed, The Yogi and the Snake by Shail Gulhati. This was what I was re-reading this morning, for your consideration:
    Does God aspire? asked the snake.
    I had asked you to meditate upon this, said the yogi. They say God cannot desire. This calls for a high spiritual understanding. If God does not desire, there is no need for creation, life, and God itself. The God of no desire can only rest in a void, in the primordial state, why should He go for the dynamics of creation? The God of no desire would thus be a neutralized force. Such a state of God can last for longer than the age of the universe itself, the yogi was becoming very still. Then, there is a stir, and the God of desire begins to vibrate. This vibration is His nature. He always aspires for play and growth. He is not just content with tranquility, as in the state of extreme nothingness. He needs to manifest, needs to reflect His own power of needs creation, to put it to use. So the process of cosmic evolution is still in its infancy, and God is just a baby whose play has just begun. Shiva’s Mantra is not just Om Shanti, it must culminate in Om Anand, ultimate bliss, at all levels of existence. But joy, being a polarized state, its achievement entails sorrow also. So life is buoyant like driftwood. But, the buoyance gives the driftwood its beautiful shape and cut. So, driftwood accepts the downfalls and setbacks. This was the choice I made, said the yogi. If Durga and Kali are both forms of the same entity, which form would you prefer? Once it was understood. I exercised my choice as Shiva said the yogi. The state of void is Bhadrakali, the dark sky without stars. It was necessary to begin from this state, to know it, like a baby trapped in the mother’s womb. I decided to give cosmic deliverance. I preferred colours, said the yogi softly, spectrum, reflection, life and consequently all that it has entailed.
    An interesting idea, it has a harmonious feel to me.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Thread Information