Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Webimpulse Report! - Modi Speaks in New York City

Cool The Webimpulse Report! - Modi Speaks in New York City

Namaste HDF,

So, I made it to New York City and back all in the same weekend, and all I got was this lousy t-shirt.

All joking aside, I want to deliver my report on the speech India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi gave to everyone at New York City's Madison Square Garden. To say the speech was interesting to me would be a gross understatement. I may not be Indian, but that doesn't mean I can't care.

To keep this readable, I want to highlight some key points from his speech.
    • Modi's primary emphasis of his government was that of LESS governance. He definitely seems to take a "less is more" approach to government, and has highlighted not how much he expanded government, but cut it back, in ways such as nullifying laws, and getting rid of so-called red tape to make government processes more streamlined.
    • I got the impression that Modi was definitely pro-capitalist. He mentioned trying to get manufacturing companies to invest in India, going so far as to start a "Make in India" campaign to promote manufacturing companies setting up shop in India, and of course giving Indians jobs. He kept mentioning the young (as in 19-35 age range) workforce as being a key element in making India productive, and therefore prosperous.
    • This goes without saying, but Modi was definitely emphasizing the patriotism of India. This isn't a bad thing (necessarily) but alongside the other two things I mentioned (and probably some I forgot), this is interesting for reasons I'll get to...

Now, there is something that I personally believe these points all have in common. What is that? Drum roll please...

Here in the United States of America, having these similar viewpoints but from the American standpoint would get you pigeonholed as a party-line Republican. And I know how much the rest of the world hates American party-line Republican politicians. So to see these qualities in a leader such as Narendra Modi really blew my mind right in front of my face. The reason for my mind being blown is because, well, as a progressive American I rarely, if ever, thought that government strategies classified as "conservative" in the USA would work elsewhere. And most people in India seem genuinely happy with the philosophy of Modi and his government. Not everyone is happy, of course, but it's impossible for any politician, Modi included, to please everyone.

Maybe this is why Modi has been referred to as the Reagan of India?

Anyway, please let me know what you think of my analysis. Agree or disagree, I'd love to know what you think. Just be gentle.

Re: The Webimpulse Report! - Modi Speaks in New York City

Hi Webimpulse, first things first- Have a read at this for an insight into some of the questions you raised- http://www.openthemagazine.com/artic.../the-right-man
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

Now, for a more detailed reply- 70% of India's population is under 35, one-third under 18. That is unique. No other country has this demographic advantage. Over the next few decades, every year over 10 million people will join the workforce. It also means this is the most crucial phase in India's history. We have to educate all of them, provide them jobs. We will either have the greatest economic boom in human history or utter disaster.

Yes, India did take a SHARP right turn this election. Modi polled more votes than the entire electorate of the US, UK and Germany put together BTW.
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

A Shaivite library

There are key differences. India's Right wing would in the West be considered Economically Right-Wing but Center-Left on social issues & foreign policy.

Om shrImAtrE namah

A Shaivite library

You write very well, Webimpulse !

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Pranam

Nice analyse, must have been great to be there, from where I was watching the atmosphere looked electric.

Only pigeonhole I would place sri Narendra Modi is that he is a true practicing Hindu, he has a vision to bring back the glory of Bharat back on the world map, with the help of the youth may his goal and aspiration of of 1.2 billion citizens be successful.

After thanking all those there and watching on media, he began with Navratri parva and it's strength and meaning, truly inspiration for me. All his speech is available on you tube for those who are interested.

Look forward to further analyse.

Jai maa Bhavani, Jai Ambe
    Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Namaste Webimpulse ji,

Thank you for sharing your notes and observations. I suspect that you and I have some similar political views.

I see the man a little differently. I personally think that he has a long way to go before he resembles our current Republican Party in the U.S. Here are a few of the major differences I see:

1. This is a man who cares about the environment. He wants to clean up the Ganges River and he is spending 20.4 billion rupees to do it. (This is the Ganga Manthan project.) He has called for factories that don't destroy the environment. He has called for a Clean India Campaign.

2. He cares about the poor. He wants to give bank accounts to India's poorest. He is looking to provide job training for India's youth. He has declared a "war" on poverty.

3. He believes that diplomacy can be an effective tool in dealing with less than friendly nations. He invited leaders from Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and Bangladesh to his inauguration, despite and because of tense relations with all three nations. He welcomed and met with President Xi Jinping of China.

4. He is willing to invest in education. He wants to improve Indian universities and education standards and to increase efforts in online education.

5. His is a mature patriotism. While is proud of India and right to be proud, considering all of the spiritual and intellectual gifts that India has bestowed upon the world, he is willing to look at and learn from India's mistakes. He is willing to acknowledge India's problems. And he is willing to learn from other countries to find out what works best, as he did when he visited Japan recently.

6. He actually excels at job creation, as he proved when he was Chief Minister of Gujarat, and knows how to spur economic growth. (See this article in the conservative American business magazine Forbes conceding that Barack Obama actually "outperforms Reagan on jobs, growth, and investing": http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhartung/2014/09/05/obama-outperforms-reagan-on-jobs-growth-and-investing/ .)

I admit I'm biased, however. I admire the prime minister.

praṇām
    Last edited by anucarh; 29 September 2014 at 04:52 AM.
    śrīmate nārāyaṇāya namaḥ

Namaste, Webimpulse and Anucarh, rather interesting to read your viewpoints

I never realized soclearly how starkly the tone and tenor of the Left-Right debate can differ in different kinds of societies and societies in different stages of develoment. An old news item which may be of interest-

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/h...w/26597864.cms

Quoting the relevant portion-
    A confident Modi chose the home turf of chief minister Ashok Gehlot to address his last public meeting in the state ahead of December 1 elections and urged voters to throw Congress out of power and give BJP an opportunity to serve them.

Reaching out to the youth, he said they should vote for BJP to preserve their self respect, dignity and to realize their dreams, while asking them to shun Congress which believes in doling out freebies.

During his 55-minute address at Ravan ka Chabootara, the crowd lapped up all that he said and cheered him by chanting his name throughout the event. To listen to Modi speak, many stood on rooftops of buildings and at the entrances of the venue. "Please take care of yourself lest you fall and get hurt. Your loss is my loss," BJP prime ministerial candidate said.
    The result of that election was BJP-168, Congress- 21, By the way. 4/5ths majority

You might be very interested in the PM's sppech at the UN General Assembly by the way-

http://www.dnaindia.com/world/report...sembly-2022062

Om shrImAtrE namah

A Shaivite library

Namaste all who responded,

You've all made insightful comments. Also, thanks for not completely tearing my arguments apart. I will post a more in-depth response later today, but considering the whirlwind travel I've been through I need a little more time to rest.

I do have more to say, just give me time to catch my breath.

Namaste Omkara ji,

Thank you for the links.

"...asking them to shun Congress which believes in doling out freebies."

"I am prepared to engage in a serious bilateral dialogue with Pakistan in a peaceful atmosphere, without the shadow of terrorism, to promote our friendship and cooperation. However, Pakistan must also take its responsibility seriously to create an appropriate environment."

He definitely has what might be called a conservative side, I agree. As I recall, he also wants to ease land acquisition regulations. If I thought he resembled our current Republican Party here in the U.S., however, I'd be concerned. I'm old enough to remember when the Republican Party at the national level was wiser, more thoughtful, and not afraid to get things done. There may be a few good Republican governors (i.e. chief executives at the state level) left, but Republican candidates for president and Republicans in the U.S, House of Representatives tend to be influenced by extreme elements in the party right now in my opinion. It is for this reason that I see the comparison as far from a flattering one.

praṇām
    śrīmate nārāyaṇāya namaḥ

Thread Information