Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Women and Western clothes

Re: Women and Western clothes

Vannakkam: Misogyny and chauvinism exist in every society, as do racism, classism, and a ton of other isms. In some societies, it's 'behind closed doors' more than in others. I see it as the lower nature coming to the forefront, and about all we can do is set an example by treating all humans we encounter with dignity.

Sometimes I feel that segregation of the genders to the degree it is in India and elsewhere is a contributing factor. Once we actually sit down and have a real talk with a person of the other gender, we often realise the inherent intelligence or soul nature. But I could be wrong.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Misogyny and chauvinism exist in every society
    And I agree with that completely. What baffles me is that a US presidential candidate adopts the mind set of rappers and indulges in a chit chat with a fellow US senator in which wife is labeled a 'personal whore'; he discusses the possibility of a new woman moving into the White House every week if he becomes the president, and there is not a peep from anywhere. Compare that to the original title of this thread and the big uproar it created.

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Compare that to the original title of this thread and the big uproar it created.

Pranam.
    Not commenting on something does not always mean insensitivity or worser yet, approval of the said remarks and actions. People may choose to remain calm for various reasons - not having read the info at the right moment, someone else having vibed the sentiment already, not wanting to involve in comments about another culture/race, etc. There could be many reasons.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste,

And I agree with that completely. What baffles me is that a US presidential candidate adopts the mind set of rappers and indulges in a chit chat with a fellow US senator in which wife is labeled a 'personal whore'; he discusses the possibility of a new woman moving into the White House every week if he becomes the president, and there is not a peep from anywhere. Compare that to the original title of this thread and the big uproar it created.

Pranam.
    Don't worry, the Donald is going to win anyway.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Not commenting on something does not always mean insensitivity or .......
    I did not mean that we did not see anything in the forum; rather nothing among the American feminist groups or the media.

Ha Ha..sure and the White House will be painted in gold color and on the roof he will have his name painted in big letters.

Pranam.

Namaskar ji,
    Oh, ugh, I really hope we're not so far gone yet.... Someone recently described him as 'The orange bloviator'. I honestly could not stop myself from laughing out loud, it still makes me giggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Viraja View Post
    Not commenting on something does not always mean insensitivity or worser yet, approval of the said remarks and actions. People may choose to remain calm for various reasons - not having read the info at the right moment, someone else having vibed the sentiment already, not wanting to involve in comments about another culture/race, etc. There could be many reasons.
    This is partly why I haven't replied again til now.
    I would like to add, while I understand the desire not to take pot shots at other cultures, I can hardly think of any more deserving than my own. Anyone who would like to can please have at it. I also wasn't really sure about responding as I feel that even though the conversation wandered into sexism before, it was in the context of the OP and the article in it, and had to be set back on track. The recent turn of this thread isn't really on that topic.

But if the topic is back on sexism in general, it's more than true that every single culture is deeply guilty of it, the issue is more one of human solidarity in the face of a bad mindset and lack of teaching empathy and self control than one of pointing fingers at any one culture or another. It's a Human problem, not a culture problem - unless we're talking about Human Culture overall. And it's not about 'modesty', which again is a culturally defined ideal. It's about control and power, every time. Control and power over a female who is seen as less than Human and as property, chattel. And if one who has poor control or was not taught to see females as Human, feels that power/control is threatened? They feel free to reassert it, in whichever form they like. And I'm not just talking about men, women engage in it too. They even do it to themselves and some help to reinforce it in society. But I'm repeating myself.

...rather nothing among the American feminist groups or the media.
    I wondered if that's what you meant, Believer ji. I am somewhat ashamed to say I haven't been paying much attention to either the the race yet, or the news lately. There are too many names in the pot right now, most are fairly inconsequential and stand no chance. We have another 16 months of this, and things won't really start getting serious until the last 5 or so - and that's giving an awful lot of credit to the majority of my countrymen and women for having a better attention span than is generally demonstrates lately. Most of this I can't stomach and I have so many better ways to spend my tame lately than watching the news, which is all sensationalized gossip now anyway and hardly real news at all. You know "World News Tonight" contains 0% 'world news'? That said, since I've never heard of this guy, I'm not sure if it's just that this guy is just not taken seriously enough for people to pick this as a battle, or if it genuinely just didn't register. I can guarantee you his little quote has lost him any miniscule chance he had at gaining his party's nomination. Soundbytes are everything nowadays and if its not haunting him yet it will if he starts getting anywhere.

~Pranam
    Last edited by Aanandinii; 02 July 2015 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Number correction - apparently I forgot what year it was...
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Namaste,

First of all I apologize if anyone got the impression that is was a put down of a nation/race/gender. I try to bring some of the news items to the forum with the intent of bringing the good and the bad to people's attention and not to make anyone feel bad. Words/deeds of an individual of a society/race/nationality do not and should not be construed as reflective of everyone from that group. The objective is to reflect on other people's conduct and to see how we can perform better. I for one am a citizen of a country which is different from the country of my birth and from which I am far removed emotionally/culturally too; if that makes any sense to anyone.

Back to the topic, the intent was to show how a nobody's comments in India were the subject of much debate and became the hot issue on social media, while a much, much worse incident over here went unnoticed by all. The broadcast and print media over there are unrelenting and people with some English language skills, who pass for the "educated class" lap it all up and take everything to new heights through social media. BTW, I don't spend much time on listening to the real news either and am content with the soon to end fake news, from Jon Stewart. Lindsey Graham has been mentioned on a shortlist of possible Vice Presidential candidates for the ultimate Republican nominee. So, I don't ignore him.

Let us all hit the reset button and get back to whatever we were discussing.

Pranam.

Jotta everyone,

Please bear in mind that nudity does not necesarily imply sexual availability; anyone who has seen images of prisoners at Abu Ghraib can tell you that.
    The topic of appropriate attire within Hinduism frequently gets brought up when comparing modern Indian values with historical Hindu practices.
    To reconcile this apparent contradiction, one must keep in mind that ancient people had different aesthetic preferences than modern people.
    For example, tan skin and a lean frame would have been seen as symbols of poverty, because it meant you were working out in the fields all day.
    Therefore, idols like this image of Lakshmi were probably not seen as "celebrations of the human form"; instead, they were indicators of the lack of opportunities enjoyed by women in those days.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owl#...shmi_02349.JPG

Thread Information