Vannakkam: I feel it really is a matter of getting used to it ... clothing, that is. That goes in all directions. On the travel site IndiaMike, there is lots of chat on it, especially in Goa, where there are a lot of Europeans at beaches. The complaints center around Indians ogling mostly. Europeans are used to being scantily clad, at beaches especially.

But anyone working there for any longer period of time would simply become accustomed to it.

In Mauritius, a very multicultural country, the beaches were shared by all. So on the same beach you'd see Muslims fully clothed, Hindus quite clothed, and Europeans wearing next to nothing. Nobody ogled, nobody cared. That's the way it's been ever since tourism became the main industry. Still everyone played together, chatted with each other, etc. From an inner perspective, clothing is the layer outside the physical body, and a long way from the soul, where spirituality resides.

I take exception to temples though. At temple, we should prepare, by fasting, bathing, bringing offerings, etc. It maintains the sanctity of the temple. Yesterday I was reading some reviews of a large North American temple, and one person gave a very negative review simply because the management had asked her to cover her shoulders.

Here at out temple, besides the really casual, we get men wearing ball caps, and lots of times people don't bother removing their winter jackets. Sometimes I feel people think it's a bus stop or a local garage.

We do ask for the caps to be removed. In fact, more often than not, it's the men who are the 'offenders'. This is common on North America, and the reason I always dress Hindu, veshti for the south style, and pajama for the north style. Yes, I really look out of place, but a few people admire it.

Aum Namasivaya