Thread: GOSWAMI TULSIDAS - SRI RAMCHARITMANAS

Smile GOSWAMI TULSIDAS - SRI RAMCHARITMANAS

Goswami Tulsidas

By
    Sri Swami Sivananda

Tulsidas was born in Rajpur, in the district of Banda in Uttar Pradesh, in Samvat 1589 or 1532 A.D. He was a Sarayuparina Brahmin by birth and is regarded as an incarnation of Valmiki, the author of Ramayana written in Sanskrit. His father’s name was Atmaram Shukla Dube and his mother’s name Hulsi. Tulsidas did not cry at the time of his birth. He was born with all the thirty-two teeth intact. In childhood his name was Tulsiram or Ram Bola.
    Tulsidas’s wife’s name was Buddhimati (Ratnavali). Tulsidas’s son’s name was Tarak. Tulsidas was passionately attached to his wife. He could not bear even a day’s separation from her. One day his wife went to her father’s house without informing her husband. Tulsidas stealthily went to see her at night at his father-in-law’s house. This produced a sense of shame in Buddhimati. She said to Tulsidas, "My body is but a network of flesh and bones. If you would develop for Lord Rama even half the love that you have for my filthy body, you would certainly cross the ocean of Samsara and attain immortality and eternal bliss". These words pierced the heart of Tulsidas like an arrow. He did not stay there even for a moment. He abandoned home and became an ascetic. He spent fourteen years in visiting the various sacred places of pilgrimage.
    While returning from answering the calls of nature, Tulsidas used to throw the water that was left in his water-pot at the roots of a tree which a spirit was occupying. The spirit was very much pleased with Tulsidas. The spirit said, "O man! Get a boon from me". Tulsidas replied, "Let me have Darshan of Lord Rama". The spirit said, "Go to the Hanuman temple. There Hanuman comes in the guise of a leper to hear the Ramayan as the first hearer and leaves the place last of all. Get hold of him. He will help you". Accordingly, Tulsidas met Hanuman, and through His grace, had Darshan or vision of Lord Rama.
    Tulsidas wrote twelve books. The most famous book is his Ramayan—Ram-charit-manas—in Hindi. He wrote this book under the directions of Hanuman. This Ramayan is read and worshipped with great reverence in every Hindu home in Northern India. It is an inspiring book. It contains sweet couplets in beautiful rhyme. Vinaya Patrika is another important book written by Tulsidas.
    Some thieves came to Tulsidas’s Ashram to take away his goods. They saw a blue-complexioned guard, with bow and arrow in his hands, keeping watch at the gate. Wherever they moved, the guard followed them. They were frightened. In the morning they asked Tulsidas, "O venerable saint! We saw a young guard with bow and arrow in his hands at the gate of your residence. Who is this man?" Tulsidas remained silent and wept. He came to know that Lord Rama Himself had been taking the trouble to protect his goods. He at once distributed all his wealth among the poor.
    Tulsidas lived in Ayodhya for some time. Then he shifted to Varanasi. One day a murderer came and cried, "For the love of Rama give me alms. I am a murderer". Tulsi called him to his house, gave him sacred food which had been offered to the Lord and declared that the murderer was purified. The Brahmins of Varanasi reproached Tulsidas and said, "How can the sin of a murderer be absolved? How could you eat with him? If the sacred bull of Siva—Nandi—would eat from the hands of the murderer, then only we would accept that he had been purified". Then the murderer was taken to the temple and the bull ate from his hands. The Brahmins were put to shame.
    Tulsidas once went to Brindavan. He visited a temple. He saw the image of Lord Krishna. He said, "How shall I describe Thy beauty, O Lord! But Tulsi will bow his head only when You take up bow and arrow in Your hands". The Lord revealed Himself before Tulsidas in the form of Lord Rama with bow and arrows.
    Tulsidas’s blessings brought the dead husband of a poor woman back to life. The Moghul emperor at Delhi came to know of the great miracle done by Tulsidas. He sent for Tulsidas. Tulsidas came to the emperor’s court. The emperor asked the saint to perform some miracle. Tulsidas replied, "I have no superhuman power. I know only the name of Rama". The emperor put Tulsi in prison and said, "I will release you only if you show me a miracle". Tulsi then prayed to Hanuman. Countless bands of powerful monkeys entered the royal court. The emperor got frightened and said, "O saint, forgive me. I know your greatness now". He at once released Tulsi from prison.
    Tulsi left his mortal coil and entered the Abode of Immortality and Eternal Bliss in 1623 A.D. at the age of ninety-one at Asighat in Varanasi.

How do I recite Ramcharitmanas?

I have Ramcharitmanas by Gita press, Gorakhpur. In the beginning the details of how to recite are given. But I have one question. When I recite, should the entire content be recited i.e. shloka, doha, chhanda, chaupai etc.?

I am asking this because I have listened to some audio of Ramcharitmanas in which shlokas are not recited.

Smile Re: GOSWAMI TULSIDAS - SRI RAMCHARITMANAS

Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
    Namaste Animesh.

Suggestion :
    1)You may get in touch with some punditji in some temple.
    2)Browse the net on Sri Morari Bapu.
    If possible send in an e-mail / or call up and request the concerned people to send in the answer for your question.
    Pl Note : Sri Morari Bapu is considered as one of the most famous upanyasakar (Person who narrates the story.) on Goswami Tulsidas's Sri Ramcharitmanas.

Re: GOSWAMI TULSIDAS - SRI RAMCHARITMANAS

Thats very interesting I never knew that thanks for sharing. I wonder if this saint ever met any of the Sikh Gurus.
    "My spiritual father is Swami Vivekananda" Canibus

Quote Originally Posted by Arvind Sivaraman View Post
    Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
    Namaste Animesh.

Suggestion :
    1)You may get in touch with some punditji in some temple.
    2)Browse the net on Sri Morari Bapu.
    If possible send in an e-mail / or call up and request the concerned people to send in the answer for your question.
    Pl Note : Sri Morari Bapu is considered as one of the most famous upanyasakar (Person who narrates the story.) on Goswami Tulsidas's Sri Ramcharitmanas.
    Sri Morari bapu is a miraculous Ramcharitmanas reciter and Hanumanbhakt .
    Every word of Ramcharitmanas is great…..
    mantra mahamani bisaya byala ke, metata kathina kuanka bhala ke.
    harana moha tama dinakara kara se
    Words are .spells and valuable gems as it were for counteracting the venom of serpents in the
    form of sensuous enjoyments, and efface the deep marks of evil destiny contained on
    the forehead. They are sunbeams, as it were, dispelling the darkness of ignorance .For more see…

vedastra.blogspot.com/2010/01/goswamiji-tulsidas.html

The Sriramacharitamanasa (The Holy Lake of the Acts of Rama) is indeed a sublime work. I read the English version edited by R.C. Prasad and published by Motilal Banarsidass. There might be better versions, I am not sure. Please feel free to enlighten me.

I am curious to know if anyone has any practical experience with Shri Ramashalaka Prashnavali? That is, using the Sriramacharitamanasa as an oracle.
    What is the most amazing thing in the world? That at every moment we are surrounded by evidence of death and yet we behave as if we will live forever! - Mahabharata

His original name ‘Rambola’ meaning ‘one that uttered the name Rama’, Tulasi Das is a house-hold name in India. He grew forsaken. The constellation of stars, under which he was born, was unlucky for the parents and bad luck followed them one by one. A wandering saint Naraharyanand adopted him as his disciple and named him Tulasi Das.

Tulasi called his major work “Ramacharitmanas’, or the ‘Lake of the Deeds of Rama.” He considered the seven cantos or kaandas like the ‘beautiful flights of steps’ to the holy waters which cleanse and purify the soul.

Equally skillful in both Awadhi and Brajbhasha, he brought about fusion between the two rich languages.

Tradition says that the seven cantos of Ramacharitmanasa were written:

To row across the ocean of the world;

To wash away arrogant hypocrisy and establish the pure and highest religion;

To destroy the accumulated sins of Kaliyuga and to highlight the beauty of devotion to God;

To erase sectarianism and teach the lesson of love and devotion;

To create enthusiasm in the hearts of the holy and enhance the joy of the good;

To explain how devotion to Hari depends upon Hara;

and

To point the way to the Vedic path.

In his Foreword to the A.G.Atkins’ Ramayana C.Rajagopalachari wrote: ‘Tulasi Das made his vision of God into a concrete reality for the commonest of men around him. Tulasi Das could have made himself as grand or obscure as any philosopher, ancient or modern; for he had learning enough for it. But he was too pious to lose himself in that manner. His great love of the common folk enabled him to produce a work that has stood the test of centuries like a rock among philosophers, pundits and lowly men and women.’’

Thread Information