Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: still looking

  1. #1

    still looking

    I'm still deciding which way to go....

    I do know I want to go towards shiva/ ganesha. Maybe vashna..

    Anyone want to help guide me a little?

    Also trying to figure out what sect....?
    I guess there's many.. not 100% sure about all of them..

  2. #2
    Join Date
    October 2014
    Location
    CA, USA
    Age
    70
    Posts
    118
    Rep Power
    453

    Re: still looking

    Quote Originally Posted by elake View Post
    I'm still deciding which way to go....

    I do know I want to go towards shiva/ ganesha. Maybe vashna..

    Anyone want to help guide me a little?

    Also trying to figure out what sect....?
    I guess there's many.. not 100% sure about all of them..
    There are very valid questions and for me, a bit frustrating because having to do most of my own research (at least initially) I read so much I thought my head would explode. Then finally meeting religious Hindus, most of them would say they worship "all of them" or "it doesn't matter". Maybe because in Christianity things are SO structured (ie Baptist, Catholic Lutheran) that I couldn't figure out how to just worship so to speak.

    Were you reared in a Christian environment? I only ask because if your up bringing is like mine it may add to your difficulty in deciding. ISKCON who is geared to westerners can be of some assistance. Several months ago I went to a large temple in my area and told the priest there I wanted to talk about "becoming a Hindu" well he told me to have a seat and 45 minutes later I was still sitting there. I later found out that the priest in Hindu temples are not at all like the ones I am used too. Thanks to the internet I was able to get assistance and learn more, but like you I am still a bit confused.

    The reason I feel I am a Shivite is because of the incredible feeling of peace I get when I go to the Shivite temple. I worship with ISCKON and with a Vishnu Sustang group but nowhere do I get this total feeling of serenity and blessedness that I get when in that temple. I figure it is where I am supposed to be.

    Maybe, like I, you will also get a "feeling", spiritual invitation maybe???

    Meanwhile I still try to read all I can on the differences between Vishnu and Shivite. Have lots of questions and will get them asnswered eventually.

    I hope this has provided some small bit of help.
    Aum

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    750
    Rep Power
    1516

    Re: still looking

    Hari Om!

    Just a suggestion from this end and an opinion at best, but how about Ganesha at least to start? If nothing more, prayers to Him from the heart will lead you in the right direction. This was my experience and as you browse the forums you will find that it has been for others too.

    Ganesha is exceedingly generous to those who pray to Him selflessly. Please try your best. And since you seem to already have some interest there, well why not. He is also worshiped before any other, another reason to consider.

    All the best to you on the chosen path.

    Om

  4. #4
    Join Date
    September 2006
    Age
    67
    Posts
    7,705
    Rep Power
    187

    Re: still looking

    hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

    Dear new members (from above),

    Welcome...

    We are considered a sadācārin¹ when a post begins with a welcome, a hello, some preamble to his/her post that is well received by our HDF members. Please consider starting off your post with a hello, or a namasté , or some salutation to invite the reader to your post.

    It is our custom here to do this...we ask you to join in on this custom.

    iti śiva


    words
    sadācāra - virtuous conduct , good manners , well conducted, well mannered
    sad = sat - good or honest or wise or respectable people
    ācāra = conduct , manner of action , behavior , good behavior , good conduct
    Hence the sadācārin is one having "having pure, bright, good conduct "
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

    _

  5. #5

    Re: still looking

    Namaste,

    Thanks to all the replies.


    Yes I was raised in the Christian area.


    Everyone is very helpful here. Much appreciated!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    December 2012
    Posts
    552
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: still looking

    Namaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Soul View Post
    Meanwhile I still try to read all I can on the differences between Vishnu and Shivite. Have lots of questions and will get them asnswered eventually.
    I have a suggestion for you, there is an old thread in the Hare Krishna (Iskcon) forum here on HDF, it's Re: LORd SIVA : A Gaudiya Vaisnava Perspective thread at http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=5107

    It's a long thread, it has 286 posts (the last was at March 2013), and I've been published 39 posts there. I advise you to go through all of them there, all 286 posts, one by one, and you'll see how this issue is addressed traditionally, even through strife , and you will learn a lot, even through posts the strife ones.
    Highly recommended.


    regards

  7. #7
    Join Date
    October 2014
    Location
    CA, USA
    Age
    70
    Posts
    118
    Rep Power
    453

    Re: still looking

    Quote Originally Posted by brahma jijnasa View Post
    Namaste

    I have a suggestion for you, there is an old thread in the Hare Krishna (Iskcon) forum here on HDF, it's Re: LORd SIVA : A Gaudiya Vaisnava Perspective thread at http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=5107

    It's a long thread, it has 286 posts (the last was at March 2013), and I've been published 39 posts there. I advise you to go through all of them there, all 286 posts, one by one, and you'll see how this issue is addressed traditionally, even through strife , and you will learn a lot, even through posts the strife ones.
    Highly recommended.


    regards
    Dear brahma jijnasa , thank you very much for this info. I will start reading it now and do so over the next day or so. Thanks again
    AUM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •