Thread: Taking a full hindu name/including last name

Taking a full hindu name/including last name

Hi, I just have questions about adopting names in Hinduism/Swaminarayan dharm for conversion. I have chosen a dharmic name in full(first, middle, last). I plan to change my name officially soon. I just wanted to know if taking the surname "Khanna"(meaning sword) is ok even if I'm not family or connected to them. How inappropriate would that be?

Is there a naming procedure for converts/can you just choose a name that you want? Thanks.

Arrow Re: Taking a full hindu name/including last name

Even i m thinking the same.... i would be glad if any acteive forum member can give a rply

Re: Taking a full hindu name/including last name

Khanna is a punjabi kshatriya surname. so if you have punjabi culture in you or want to be identified as a punjabi when people hear you as khanna then go ahead. only i am not sure if you can adopt surname like that.

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlife View Post
    only i am not sure if you can adopt surname like that.
    One can't adopt a surname like that, it would be misappropriation. Unless the individual is marrying into a Khanna family, it's kind of messed up. It's not a sale at a store or something, where one can just choose whatever they like because it happens to be in the clearance rack. Either way, the OP hasn't returned and doesn't seem like he/she will return anytime soon. So any advice we give, most likely will fall on ears (or eyes ) that aren't even near to hear (or see). Who knows? The OP is legally a "Khanna" now! All the power to him/her, I guess.

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by anablc View Post
    Hi, I just have questions about adopting names in Hinduism/Swaminarayan dharm for conversion. I have chosen a dharmic name in full(first, middle, last). I plan to change my name officially soon. I just wanted to know if taking the surname "Khanna"(meaning sword) is ok even if I'm not family or connected to them. How inappropriate would that be?

Is there a naming procedure for converts/can you just choose a name that you want? Thanks.
    I don't think there is any harm. In fact, it is better because with a valid surname people will connect with you better. "Khanna" title is mainly used by Punjabis but they don't have sole rights over this surname. I met a person in Tamilnadu whose name was T. Rajesh Khanna. He kept that name because his father liked the name, "Rajesh Khanna". However, there are many surnames which are either available to anyone or at some point of time these were used by a particular community but now these are being used by anyone who wants to have them :

a) Kumar ==> pronounced as "Kumaar" ===> This means "young" and was used earlier by princes.
    b) Sinha ===> Pronounced as "Sinhaa" ===> earlier used by a particular caste but now it has been taken by people of various castes and with this surname you can't make out the caste of that person.
    c) Singh ===> Pronounced as "Sinha" ===> earlier used by the kshatriyas but now it is being use by many communities.
    d) Mohan ===> Earlier not used by any caste but now you many find many people using it.

Some surnames don't denote any caste or community but the name of place from where the person belongs, e.g. :

a) Amrapurkar ===> the place is "Amrapur"
    b) Kolhapure ====> the place is "Kolhapur" etc.

Some surnames are just another name e.g.

Sunanda Pushkar ===> Pushkar too is another name.
    Madhulika Suman ===> Suman is another name.
    Rajeev Ganapati ====> Ganapati is another name.

etc. etc.

So choose whatever suits you.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaskar,

I think devotee makes some really good suggestions. In my opinion one of the names of God will be a better choice than one of the generic family based surnames.

As devotee points out Ganapati is an example. Other examples are Janardan, Vishnu, Krishna, Surya (sun), Suryakiran (ray of sun), Jagdish (God of the cosmos), Mohan etc.

Thread Information