Thread: Vanadurga

Vanadurga

Namaste and hello,

Vanadurga is our paradevata and we have a family temple for her. (In Kerala, we have this concept of a paradevata - a family diety worshipped by all poorvikas as well as the present family members. It is said that paradevata will show his/her blessings and be always with you even if you don't pray).

I chant her moolamantra [Manasika japa - 108 - once or twice daily + whenever the mantra comes to me when I do other things]. I feel I should know more about her and do a lot more for her worship. Upon research in internet, I found that the following exist.

- 'Vanadurga Mahavidya' - tantric form - Does anyone have any information on this?
    - 'Vanadurga Upanishad' - Is the book available? Or is it only passed 'orally'?
    - 'Vanadurga Saptasati' - Is it the same as 'Durga Saptasati'?

Is she same as Jataveda Agnir Devata (worshipped in Vedas)?

Kindly share details about Devi in Vanadurga form, the 'tatwa' behind her and ways to worship her, that would greatly help me.

pranam,
    Last edited by yajvan; 31 October 2014 at 05:46 PM.

Re: Vanadurga

Namaste Mitra,

I will try to share my little knowledge about Maa Vanadurga. I only know a few things that I will share.The Durga Puja is celebrated in the month of Ashwin and it starts from Panchami/Shasti to Vijaya Dashami in various parts of India.The tale that I know about Maa Vanadurga is that when after Durga Puja, Maa Durga along with Ganesha,Laxmi,Saraswati and Kartikeya was returning to Kailasha,she along with her family was crossing a Forest ("Vana" in Hindi) and when they were doing so,the people of the Forest asked Maa Durga and others to stay in the Forest for few days so the people there can worship her and her family.So,after Durga Puja in some regions of West Bengal and India she along with Ganesha,Laxmi,Saraswati and Kartikeya,is worshiped as Maa Vanadurga.That's all I know,Mitra.

Dhanyabad
    Hari bol

Re: Vanadurga

Namasthe,

I had never heard of this story. Thank you so much for sharing this.
    Anybody has anymore information to share?

Thank you,
    - Vishnu

Thread Information