Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Understanding Shri KRshNa LeelA

Understanding Shri KRshNa LeelA

Hare KRshNa

May this auspicious ekAdashI be the right time to post this thread.

Many people do not understand Shri KRshNa, and that is understandable since the world that surrounds us creates notions in the mind.

This thread will take questions raised by people on Shri BhagavAn’s LeelA during His time on earth.

1. I am equal to all, I envy no one, however, those who worship Me with Love are a friend in Me and I am in them.

QN: So does this mean it is possible and necessary to bribe your KRshNa for favours?

ANS: Just think, why would the Supreme interfere or bother you if you don’t want to be bothered, or have anything to do with Him?
    Do you want His shelter? He will give it to you.
    Do you want freedom to find your own way in the world? He gives you that freedom. So, you are asking for this freedom and independence which He gave you and now complain that He takes bribes from devotees in the form of worship, devotion, request for shelter (Ashray)…?

The truth is He does not interfere with karma of beings. Read VishNusahasranAma.

2. Why did Shri KRshNa kill the dhobi (washerman) in MathurA who refused to give clothes to Him and the Gopas?

ANS. Do not judge pastimes of the Supreme timeless being from the short-term tiny earthly tunnel. Who was this dhobi? We don’t know that. KRshNa knew. He knows and remembers each jIva, their evolution and past births. He knows one drop of ocean from another. Remember that those who got killed at the hands of the Lord attained mukti (they were liberated instantly). It was their greatest fortune. So this was some transaction between KAnhA and the dhobi. Rebelling against and attacking the Supreme Lord directly results in such plights. Another example was ShishupAl except he was granted 99 chances. And KaMsa, chANur, all the demons who attacked Him, RAvaN, Dantavakra, ….

From the angle of rasa ( mellow of relationship ) with the Supreme Lord. There are the favourable mellows – dAsya (servitude), sakhya (friendship), vAtsalya (parent-child), mAdhurya (lover-beloved), then there are friendly rasas like veer ras (competitive),
    And also rasa such as anger, hatred towards the Supreme.

All asura (demons) who meditated on the Supreme Lord in hatred, fear, jealousy, etc. attained Him eventually. We do not want to attain Him with such negative rasa.

3. Why did Shri KRshNa visit Kubja’s house?
    KRshNa knew who KubjA was in past lives, and her appearing face to face in front of Him was in itself a turning point for ending her kArmic bondage and getting liberated. Thus Shri KRshNa called her ‘sundarI’ (beautiful) and made her feel so good about herself that she was shocked and puzzled, since all she had received thus far in life was mockery and being called “ugly”, the hunchback. KRshNa taught her that He only looked at the AtmA within. With tears of joy and love (in whatever capacity she could feel), Kubja offered Him the sandlewood paste she was carrying for KaMsa. This was a gesture of fearlessness that was instilled in her by the karuNAsAgar (Ocean of Mercy and compassion) called Shri KRshNa. ("come what may, may KaMsa kill me for this I don’t care"). This was unknowingly a form of surrender from Kubja.

Kubja did not know any better, so she did not ask for residence in VaikunTha with Him, or moksha (liberation) from birth and death. Instead she made a prayer that this Handsome Prince who appears to be hers for eons, should visit her home. She did not know KRshNa is God, but knew He was God for her. KRshNa merely fulfilled her wish like He as NArAyaNa fulfils the wishes of all beings in trailokya (the three worlds).

Similarly, the Gopis could not go on living in the mundane world without KRshNa so on THEIR BEHEST, on THEIR REQUEST, He gave them His association and very gently took away any left-over worldly attachments, ignorance, pride, and turned them into shining gold.

Ask any devotee – they will tell you life without KRshNa is like being a fish out of water. It is very true. Like suffocation. You drag your life somehow. Because your real support, shelter, base is the Lord, and that is what you need.

Understand that Shri KrshNa, Shriman NArAyaNa never ever gets entangled in the world and the beings in it. He is their caretaker, and the gentle Lord always fulfills wishes. He is the Source, the Nourisher, the Maintainer, the Only True Friend of ALL beings, not just KubjA! Moreover His X-Ray vision sees only the AtmA within.

One should never look at the Supreme Lord of the Universe with disgust, with colored glasses, and use their tiny brains to judge His actions or LeelA, or worse -- make assumptions, fill in the blanks, draw conclusions, based on their conditioning.

This is why Shri KRshNa says …
    avajAnti mAm mudhA manushim tanumAshritam… (fools who see My human-like form deride Me, not knowing My true nature)

In GopAL TApanIya Upanishad, the Gopis visit DurvAs muni who instructs them, if the Yamuna floods and you cannot cross over to the other side, just say “If Shri KRshNa is a bramhachAri, Yamuna Rani will part ways to let us cross”
    Although initially puzzled, the Gopis obeyed, and YamunA waters receded, thus proving that Shri KRshNa is a BramhachArI – always situated in His True Self, True Highest State.

he KRshNA karuNA sindho, dina bandho, jagat-pate, gopesha, gopikA-kAnta, rAdhA-kAnta namostute
    Last edited by smaranam; 03 November 2014 at 10:44 PM. Reason: bolded out some lines
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Question Re: Understanding Shri KRshNa LeelA

Namaste Smaranam

What is the meaning of Leela in this context?

Why should Krishna perform Leela?

What will happen if he doesn't perform Leela?

Unless the term Leela is explained clearly, it would be difficult to understand your post.

PS: Ekadasi falls on, 3rd isn't it?
    Anirudh...

Re: Understanding Shri KRshNa LeelA

Hello,

As I understand,

LilA are the acts which Krishna, amsha avatar of Vishnu, performs through his mAyA. They're not real but it appears as if he's really a doer of that sport.

Krishna, who's formless Brahman, performs leelA through his vibhutis like Krishna, rama, who are imagined on true basis of Brahman.

Source: 'Vibhuti YogA' of Uddhava GitA

Thank You. Hari Narayana
    Last edited by hinduism♥krishna; 02 November 2014 at 10:39 PM.
    Hari On!

Namaste

Will you be kind enough to explain mAyA? Also can you give an example of Krishna's Leela from Mahaabhaaratam so that I can relate your explanation with a story.

It is HARD to understand complex terms without relating to an incident/thing.

Thanks....

PS: I appreciate your transformation.

Quote Originally Posted by hinduism♥krishna View Post
    Hello,

As I understand,

LilA are the acts which Krishna, amsha avatar of Vishnu, performs through his mAyA. They're not real but it appears as if he's really a doer of that sport.

Krishna, who's formless Brahman, performs leelA through his vibhutis like Krishna, rama, who are imagined on true basis of Brahman.

Source: 'Vibhuti YogA' of Uddhava GitA

Thank You. Hari Narayana
    Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Namaste

Will you be kind enough to explain mAyA? Also can you give an example of Krishna's Leela from Mahaabhaaratam so that I can relate your explanation with a story.

It is HARD to understand complex terms without relating to an incident/thing.

Thanks....

PS: I appreciate your transformation.
    Namaste Anirudh

Look, I've no intention to have a debate. I just explained my understanding of lila, that I've learned from vaishnawa purana.

In uddhava Gita, Krishna declares his vasudeva(Krishna) form as Vibhuti and mentions many other and in the end says know that these all vibhuti are just imaginations of mind and so are not real. They're imagined on true basis of brahman.

"O king, know the advent, lila and disappearance of the Supreme Lord as human being, to be a mere acting by the power of His Maya, which is potency to delude people as that of a dramatic performer. Having created this Universe by Himself from His own existence,
    and having entered it as its inner controller sported in it and having withdrawn from it into
    Himself at the end, (at final dissolution) and retired, he remains in his own glory"

And so obviously leela are the acts done by vishnu's maya ( Refer 31 chapter of 11th canto to know scriptural support ) . But that doesn't mean they aren't divine.

After all, thorn can be removed by another thorn only

By the way, Smaranam nice post
    Last edited by hinduism♥krishna; 03 November 2014 at 06:43 AM.
    Hari On!

It is not nice at all to hijack this beautiful thread by Shri Smaranam Ji in to "Formless" Brahman!

There is no "Lila" from Formless Brahman - since He has no Audience to witness! It is technically absurd to say "Formless Brahman" who has no multiple or beyond One without any next as performing Lila.

Krshna is the Brahman - The all Attractive and Enchanter of the entire universe! Its His very nature - to "attract" and the act of attraction and enchanting the jivas is "Leela" ! Why does He attracts or why is He attractive? He being attractive is His very nature, svaBhava Bagavath Lakshna - otherwise He will no longer be our ultimate object of attainment. Why is He attracting...its due to His love - as Smaranam Ji has mentioned - The KarunaSagara - for His beloved Jivas who are nothing but His prema Sakis! Who will not attract their loved ones? Its our nature as well...and being the source of this potency called love, He naturally "attracts" everyone by performing His leela!

Just a simple explanation - Not to extend this in to debate and waiting to drink the nectar from the "keyboard" of dear Smaranam Ji!

Hare Krshna!

There is no "Lila" from Formless Brahman - since He has no Audience to witness!
    Hello grames, exactly, that's why he's famous in vedanta-PurAnA as 'AkartA'- non-doer.

Please note, I humbly and politely asked my question and explained my two words.

Thank You
    Hari On!

Hare ~ ~ KRshNA ~ ~ ~ ~

1. Both GramesJi and HLK have given nice definitions of LeelA and mAyA from different angles.

Quote Originally Posted by grames View Post
    Krshna is the Brahman - The all Attractive and Enchanter of the entire universe! Its His very nature - to "attract" and the act of attraction and enchanting the jivas is "Leela" ! Why does He attracts or why is He attractive? He being attractive is His very nature, svaBhava Bagavath Lakshna - otherwise He will no longer be our ultimate object of attainment. Why is He attracting...its due to His love
    Gramesji, simply nectar for the eyes, ears heart. Want to keep reading it.
    ---

The universe and all its happenings is Bhagvad LeelA. The avatAr is also His LeelA (avateerNa). Interactions and exchanges between BhagavAn and
    i)His associates in the spiritual world and
    ii)with His devotees in the material world, albeit on the spiritual plane, are His LeelA. (Interaction between the jIva-spark and BhagavAn is as good as in the spiritual world and has nothing to do with the material, when pure. The material is just there by the way on the side.)

Translated in English as pastime. Why? Because He is complete. Yet, He "acts" for the sake of the living entities. Also by nature He is full of 'rasa', so one can say it is His nature to perform LeelA as Grameji has so beautifully explained.

2. Just one thing HLK,
    Quote Originally Posted by hinduism♥krishna View Post
    in the end says know that these all vibhuti are just imaginations of mind and so are not real. They're imagined on true basis of brahman.
    Wait, Whose Mind? The avatAr-leelA are not imagined by tiny individual minds, but by the Cosmic Mind or the Mind of the Supreme. This is the big mistake many make -- "imagination of the mind"

Since the Lord is Divine and transcendental, anything He dreams in His form as MahAVishNu, manifests for real. i.e. it has a life-span, a duration.

The imagination and dream is for MahAvishNu. We are all part of His Universal Gigantic Dream. When you dream a dream or imagine something with the individual mind, as an embodied living entity, it does not manifest to others. However, when the supreme Lord in the form of MahA-VishNu lies in the ksheerasAgar (Milk Ocean) and dreams up the universe, it manifests for real.

Not only this, His Divine LeelA in the Spiritual worlds, is eternal, it is forever manifest. Because He is chintAmaNi and kalpataru (the wish-fulfilling gem and tree), whatever He wishes and dreams actually happens!

So let the devotees immerse in the Divine chintAmaNi's manifestation. Not in this transitory material manifestation.

In other words, there is a gulf of a difference between creations of an individual mind and the Lord's LeelA.

So, one should never say it is an imagination of "the mind", that is totally misleading to readers.

3. Yes, EkAdashi was Nov 3rd in India and Europe but Nov 2nd in many other parts of the world where many of our members live. Usually off by one (longitude matters for local tithi).

4. If my original post appeared "chastising" please note that this was not for the innocent inquisitive ones although they are also supposed to benefit from it. Those whom it was for know who they are.
    Regarding the argument that all beings are one's own Self [at the absolute level] and so not to hurt anyone, well then, Self needs to straighten ItSelf sometimes

he KRshNA, karuNAsindho, dIna-bandho, jagat-pate, gopesha, gopikA-kAnta, rAdhA-kAnta, namostute _/\_
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

This is the big mistake many make -- "imagination of the mind"
    Hello Smarnam,

Imagination of mind means it has no absolute existence.

Take a look at this verse..

"All these Vibhuti of mine which are thus described should be recognized as defects of mind, born of imagination, for the sake of expression in our speech." (Uddhava Gita 16.41)

Earlier Krishna describes his all vibhuti including Vasudeva(Krishna) as well.

Thank You
    Hari On!

Thumbs Up Re: Understanding Shri KRshNa LeelA

Thank you very much Grames ji. Hereafter I will be able to understand posts that uses the word Leela very well.

Formless Brahman is beyond my comprehension skills. May be in future I might be able to comprehend better but not as on date.

Thanks again.....

Quote Originally Posted by grames View Post
    It is not nice at all to hijack this beautiful thread by Shri Smaranam Ji in to "Formless" Brahman!

There is no "Lila" from Formless Brahman - since He has no Audience to witness! It is technically absurd to say "Formless Brahman" who has no multiple or beyond One without any next as performing Lila.

Krshna is the Brahman - The all Attractive and Enchanter of the entire universe! Its His very nature - to "attract" and the act of attraction and enchanting the jivas is "Leela" ! Why does He attracts or why is He attractive? He being attractive is His very nature, svaBhava Bagavath Lakshna - otherwise He will no longer be our ultimate object of attainment. Why is He attracting...its due to His love - as Smaranam Ji has mentioned - The KarunaSagara - for His beloved Jivas who are nothing but His prema Sakis! Who will not attract their loved ones? Its our nature as well...and being the source of this potency called love, He naturally "attracts" everyone by performing His leela!

Just a simple explanation - Not to extend this in to debate and waiting to drink the nectar from the "keyboard" of dear Smaranam Ji!

Hare Krshna!
    Anirudh...

Thread Information