Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Gita version

Re: Best Gita version

Pranams,

All is said in a positive way

Believer
    before jumping in with both feet to innundate a newcomer? Long discourses and recommending something which may not be easily available in the West is bad advice. Let the person settle down and then you can impress upon him to read literature from YOUR guru. It is despicable when the posts turn from what the OP requested to a debate about the relative holiness of your guru. And then we want the world to treat us as enlightened people who are the keepers of vast amount of spiritual knowledge?
    These are very wise words, and all the previous mentioned versions of Gita hold credit, but which one is best for each individual is impossible to say. Religion is by design, not just for one person but for the whole. No two conditions of the Jiva are the same, if the Acharyas and Sadhu's know this then surely we have to mirror that attitude.

No matter which version one reads then his/her spiritual journey has begun and imho the questions of the validity should then be based on the content in philosophical terms, and if that discussion is then either helping us to get closer to truth or is it making us more philosophically complicated. At the end of the day we cannot fully know what is the complete absolute truth because the subject is so huge.

I myself have gone through many full circles in understanding Bhagavad Gita, which always seems to tell me something new, something that I did not know before is revealed in the same passage I have read before seems fresh and new, and that wonderful aha moment comes and serves its purpose.

Ys

Md

Exclamation Re: Best Gita version

Namaste HDF

Why is there an urge to give unwarranted suggestions. Neither I know Dhyaneshwar nor I have heard about Udhava Gita until some one spoke about it at HDF. If I am a beginer why would I care to get into Advaita doctrines. What I wish to stress is, every beginner has a learning curve. Why should one try to force advanced concepts down the throat, when that wasn't requested at all?

I agree with Believer ji and Devotee ji.

@ HLK

Namaste,

Wouldnt it be better if the advices that are offered meet the OP's requirements.

We can debate how the same Srimad Bhagavat Gita supports Dvaita or V'Advaita or any other school of thought but defenitely not by hijacking this thread.
    Anirudh...

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by kamaferro View Post
    ......it seems this a good non-sectarian text which is also objectively translated in a scholarly responsible way
    A non-sectarian, scholarly translation of any scriptural text is its dead body. Scholars may translate a novel, but not a spiritual concept. Only an acharya, a swami, an adherent who has felt the spiritual power of the words can show you the light of the divine song. So, please select whatever you want to read and be at peace. We, as a group, seem to have failed you in selecting what to read as your first translation.

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by kamaferro View Post
    is strange that you recommend BG as it is all people are telling me in India of certain stature buy anyone not ISCKOM . Why ?

ISCKOM is like concentrating on Krishna as the absolute.

I was asking here advice out of the above Gita any other that is goof for me inv iew so many edition out there Thanks
    Hello friend ..

I agree and we also know why they aren't recommending Iskcon's. You can pm me.

Your first preference is simple language and I think Sant Dnyaneshwara's fits in it. Do try.

Thank You hari om
    Hari On!

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

A non-sectarian, scholarly translation of any scriptural text is its dead body. Scholars may translate a novel, but not a spiritual concept. Only an acharya, a swami, an adherent who has felt the spiritual power of the words can show you the light of the divine song. So, please select whatever you want to read and be at peace. We, as a group, seem to have failed you in selecting what to read as your first translation.

Pranam.
    Namaste they suggested to use non sectarian this version is from Ramakrishna Mat

Quite confusing at the end will choose one and finish the story

we are here to share not to say our forum cannot help.

Quote Originally Posted by markandeya 108 dasa View Post
    Pranams,

All is said in a positive way

Believer
    These are very wise words, and all the previous mentioned versions of Gita hold credit, but which one is best for each individual is impossible to say. Religion is by design, not just for one person but for the whole. No two conditions of the Jiva are the same, if the Acharyas and Sadhu's know this then surely we have to mirror that attitude.

No matter which version one reads then his/her spiritual journey has begun and imho the questions of the validity should then be based on the content in philosophical terms, and if that discussion is then either helping us to get closer to truth or is it making us more philosophically complicated. At the end of the day we cannot fully know what is the complete absolute truth because the subject is so huge.

I myself have gone through many full circles in understanding Bhagavad Gita, which always seems to tell me something new, something that I did not know before is revealed in the same passage I have read before seems fresh and new, and that wonderful aha moment comes and serves its purpose.

Ys

Md
    Namaste
    I agree because I am very new to all this, people supposed to be more expert in spirituality warned me about BG as it is ISKCOM etc.
    And also it would be better to take a non sectarian simple edition like the one I mentioned http://www.chennaimath.org/istore/pr...hara-ordinary/

so please understand my confusion I just buy this one or any other I feel comfortable

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

Pranam.
    Namaskar

Sridhara’s gloss on the Gita adheres to the Advaitic position, but lays stress on Bhakti also. It is a simple commentary that helps the easy understanding of the text. -

Dear kamaferro,
    The scripture is supposed to act like a mirror where you can see your own face.

The truth of the pudding is in eating. One cannot get the vision of the scripture through reading literal translation. Shankara starts his Bhagavad gita translation by stating that its not easy to understand the true vision of the scripture without the aid of a teacher.

When you study the scripture ... you should stand transformed ... once and for all. Thats the power of the vision of the scripture. if instead one reads the scripture but does not get the vision that is conveyed one continues his or her search.

thats why its important to get the vision from a true acharya ... and thats the reason why i suggested swami paramarthananda ji's lectures [or swami dayananda's bhagavad gita home study course] ... if you can follow what he is saying and get the vision of the scripture ... you shall stand transformed once and for all. Thats the power.

There is no point in listening to people who will at best provide certain beliefs ! For example : Atma has no death .... when this is said, one has to see that ! Otherwise its only a belief. Atma means you. You are deathless ! How ? one has to be able to get this vision...

Whats the use of trying too many things ? Read and see for yourself if the teacher is providing more beliefs or a vision through which you stand liberated.

Love!
    Silence

thanks and Namaste

than I can always choose Shivananda or Chinmayanda I think more or less the same

Whihc is the title of book of swami paramarthananda ji'

Namaste

Quote Originally Posted by kamaferro
    Krishna is not the Absolute, Brahman is Absolute Consciousness & we are all Consciousness ...
    ... The As it is wallahs (ISCKOM) try to twist these words by interpreting it in the following way & turning Krishna into the absolute
    ... Krishna says abide in Me, by this he means Self (Brahman) & not I am God/Absolute. try to twist these words by interpreting it in the following way & turning Krishna into the absolute;
    ... Krishna says abide in Me, by this he means Self (Brahman) & not I am God/Absolute.

So I have to avoid such book.

Yes, you can avoid this book and then you will become a "knowledgeable" as these people are "knowledgeable" who told you to avoid it. Happy life with that.

Nobody is turning Lord Krishna into absolute, Self (Brahman), because He is this absolute or Self (Brahman).
    Lord Krishna is described in the Bhagavad gita 10.12 as paraḿ brahma paraḿ dhāma ... ādi-devam ajaḿ vibhum, which means that He is Supreme Brahman or the Absolute (supreme truth, or Absolute truth), ie Parabrahman (paraḿ brahma), but also God or deva (ādi-devam).

So let some "knowledgeable" people say that Lord Krishna is not Supreme Brahman and God, but that is not stated in the Gita!

Thanks but many sre warning me read ALL BUT AVOID ISKCON because want to picture Krishna as the Supreme and created a new religion, I am not sure but even very knoledgeable people in India told me the same there should be a reason why all ok and not ISKCON !!!!!!

is strange that you recommend BG as it is all people are telling me in India of certain stature buy anyone not ISCKOM . Why ?
    It is not that all these "knowledgeable" people are so much knowledgeable as you may think. First you yourself have to become knowledgeable that you could assess who in the world really is knowledgeable and who is not. Don't believe everything some supposedly "knowledgeable" people will tell you.

at this point I have to start somewhere, everyone suggests according own view it seems this a good non-sectarian text which is also objectively translated in a scholarly responsible way
    Actually this is one big illusion and folly that often think people who are newbies to Hindu Dharma. I wrote about it earlier: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...681#post105681

There are no such a thing as a non-sectarian and non-biased translations of scriptures because all translations are more or less sectarian and biased, made according to a particular Hindu Dharma school or tradition (sampradaya).

PS.
    See above Bhagavad gita 10.12 quote at Srila Prabhupada's (A. C. Bhaktivedanta Svami) edition.
    I would recommend you to thoroughly study exactly this A. C. Bhaktivedanta Svami's edition of the Bhagavad gita translation and especially pay attention to the commentary, and do not believe everything you're told by some supposedly "knowledgeable" people.

regards

Thread Information