Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Best Gita version

Re: Best Gita version

Namaste Silence Speaks ji

I haven't observed a better version of "old wine in a new bottle" kind of reply than the one you have offered on 17 November 2014 11:50 AM in my 1+ years of association with HDF.

Trusting heavily on your post on 15 November 2014 07:57 AM , hope you wont take offence if my future communications address you as handle.

Rest when opportunity and time permits.
    Anirudh...

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    Namaste Silence Speaks ji

I haven't observed a better version of "old wine in a new bottle" kind of reply than the one you have offered on 17 November 2014 11:50 AM in my 1+ years of association with HDF.

Trusting heavily on your post on 15 November 2014 07:57 AM , hope you wont take offence if my future communications address you as handle.

Rest when opportunity and time permits.
    Dear Anirudh ji,
    I may not like being addressed as handle or being criticized but I have enough maturity to maintain total equanimity in all circumstances. So please go ahead and address me as a handle if that fits your philosophy and makes you happy! I will continue my way. I am not so weak as to spoil my equanimity or get offended at someone else's way of addressing me , esp in a online discussion community.

I can maintain my equanimity with respect to praise and blame [this does not mean they are the same... mark the difference]

There is no "new" bottle. I never said i will say something new ! BTW, I hypothesize that you have not understood the message I was conveying ! I do not mean to be harsh again, i am just stating that there are strong indicators i can see in this regard and suggesting that ! And most important: I do not request your responses ! I respond wherever I feel like ... you obviously, will choose your own way. I always rebut the point, never a person! Even if someone says the worst thing ... i reject the idea and not the person, thats my philosophy...

Love!
    Silence
    Come up, O Lions, and shake off the delusion that you are a sheep

Namaste Devotee ji

I echo most part of your post.

I am not God Realized. Neither I have problems with Advaita or Advatins.

I pitch in only when unwarranted suggestions or statements that dont fit the particular forum are made. I can very well ignore, but ignoring such statements has given endless opportunities to few to go on and on.

Having said that, understand certain elements can't be changed.

I some times inclined to concur with a saying "no better enemy for a woman than woman herself"....

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste friends,

I have seen bitter fights on this forum being fought by some sects of Krishna devotees against Advaitins and there are many threads where we can find them. Can we say that Advaitins are wrong and Krishna devotees are right ? Or can we say that Krishna devotees are wrong and only Advaitins are right ? I am not sure if anyone here on this forum is Self-realised or God-realised. "Silence Speaks" and "Anirudh" may please forgive me if they are.

If someone is Self-realised then let him talk with a word of finality on Advaita and I won't mind. If someone has met God and he talks with a word of finality in his tone on Bhakti, then I don't mind. If one who is talking on Advaita is not Self-realised and the other one who is talking on Bhakti is not God-realised (not met God), then please shed your ego and give due respect to all other paths of Hindu Dharma.

My dear friends, please don't show off your "knowledge" of Physics to a student of Music. VedAnta doesn't talk only on Advaita or on Bhakti. If it were, then there would not have been six schools of VedAnta. The same scriptures have been interpreted by different schools in different ways. It is the fact that Gaurang Prabhu took dikshaa under an Advaitin and yet promoted Bhakti. Let's not forget that a majority of Hindus treads Bhakti Path and not Advaita. Are they all wrong ? Are they going towards their doom ? If that is so then Lord Krishna's words, "That Purusha can be attained only by intense bhakti" (BG) must be wrong.

"Right" and "Wrong" are relative terms. What is right from one point of reference is wrong from another point of reference. So, when someone sees something is right and when you see that the same thing is wrong ... it is due relative reflections from different reference points. We must respect that.

OM
    Anirudh...

Namaste Anirudh,

Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    I echo most part of your post.

I am not God Realized. Neither I have problems with Advaita or Advatins.

I pitch in only when unwarranted suggestions or statements that dont fit the particular forum are made. I can very well ignore, but ignoring such statements has given endless opportunities to few to go on and on.

Having said that, understand certain elements can't be changed.

I some times inclined to concur with a saying "no better enemy for a woman than woman herself"....
    It is good. Even if one party understands, unnecessary fights over ego-show-off events can be avoided.

Thanks.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

namaste

I own several Gita's now and have owned many more previously. Currently I am partial to Bhagavad Gita The BELOVED LORD'S Secret Love Song by Graham M. Schweig, PhD because it has been translated into beautiful English poetry. There is also a transliteration of the Sanskrit. There is no verse by verse commentary but there are helpful margin footnotes where needed.

Hari Aum

Quote Originally Posted by kamaferro View Post
    Which Gita do you recommend as best translation and commentary ? Thanks
    Last edited by R Gitananda; 20 November 2014 at 04:46 PM.
    With our ears may we hear what is good.
    With our eyes may we behold thy righteousness.
    Tranquil in body, may we who worship thee find rest.

AUM Peace Peace Peace

Hello friend ..

Quote Originally Posted by Findusam View Post
    Yes, we are Brahman. Krishna is also Brahman. What's the difference? Krishna is param brahma, the Supreme Brahman:
    What? Jiva is also mentioned as param brahma. (BP 12.5.11). So such distinction doesn't make any sense at all.

In Vedanta, Brahman and parabrahman are the same things. Veda declares Brahman as the highest reality.

arjuna uvaca
    param brahma param dhama
    pavitram paramam bhavan
    purusam sasvatam divyam
    adi-devam ajam vibhum

"Arjuna said: You are the Supreme Personality of Godhead, the ultimate abode, the purest, the Absolute Truth. You are the eternal, transcendental, original person, the unborn, the greatest."
    Wrong translation. There's no 'personality' word in original Sanskrit verse. In vedanta, purusha doesn't mean person having two hands like that.

Besides, I can show you various verses from scriptures where jiva is declared as supreme absolute abode, param Brahman.

So this is Arjuna's opinion, and he is the highest authority on Bhagavad-Gita because he heard it directly from Krishna. He also says that great sages such as Narada, Asita, Devala and Vyasa confirm this.
    That is not arjuna's opinion. It's your interpretation.

Krishna is not the Absolute? mattah parataram nanyad kincid asti dhananjaya "O conqueror of wealth, there is no truth superior to Me." It doesn't require much twisting of words to establish that Krishna is Supreme and Absolute. The twisting of words is required when the opposite is to be established.
    Krishna is one with Brahman. So obviously, arjuna is addressing this to all-pervading Brahman. Arjuna has realized who's is Krishna in human form. He realizes him as formless eternal unmanifest brahman beyond any form and name.

Who's twisting words here? The direct meaning of 'Me' means Krishna Himself, and not some "unborn within Krsna" which I've heard before.
    Me of Krishna is always all-pervasive ness. It's not bound by form. Me is not his form but his soul. If me was really of Krishna's form, then Krishna wouldn't have merged himself in Brahman at the time of his death. :cool:

If you want some indirect interpretation of what Krishna means when He says 'Me', then you have to avoid such a book, yes. 'Me' means person, individual, that's the direct meaning.
    Gita can be best understood by Vedanta, not by some absurd direct interpretation.
    Hari On!

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste SPollito,

Welcome to the forum.

Now that is a testimonial worth its weight in gold.
    OP should heed the inherent advice.

Pranam.
    Namaste
    I was considering this book but read comments saying is very misleading comparing to real Gita

Namaste,

I was considering this book but read comments saying is very misleading comparing to real Gita
    In the amount of time that you have taken to seek everyone's opinion, you could have given a couple of different translations a cursory read to figure out if you thought that either one of them was speaking to you. NO ONE will be able to give you the version that you will feel comfortable with. We are all biased, in one way or the other. Some of us even think of ISKCON version as a cyanide pill, although no one has died from it so far. So, just pick one and read it. If you like it, read it again at a slower pace to get to a deeper level. If not, then try another author. YOU have to decide which version suits you. Others may try to sell you the one authored by THEIR guru, which will always be the best for them.

It is heartening to see that you are getting so many suggestions and people are trying to help you to raise your level of consciousness. But for a person who is going to be reading his first version, it is just an introduction. After the basics have been familiarized with, a selection can be made for in-depth study. I haven't seen anyone start swimming without first getting his feet wet.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 24 November 2014 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

In the amount of time that you have taken to seek everyone's opinion, you could have given a couple of different translations a cursory read to figure out if you thought that either one of them was talking to you. NO ONE will be able to give you the version that you will feel comfortable with. We are all biased, in one way or the other. Some even think of ISKCON version as a cyanide pill. So, just pick one and read it. If you like it, read it again at a slower pace to get to a deeper level. If not, then try another author. YOU have to decide which version suits you. Others may try to sell you the one authored by THEIR guru, which will always be the best for them.

It is heartening to see that you are getting so many suggestions and people are trying to help you to raise your level of consciousness. But for a person who is going to be reading his first version, it is just an introduction. After the basics have been familiarized with, a selection can be made for in-depth study. I haven't seen anyone start swimming without first getting his feet wet.

Pranam.
    Namaste Believer I fully agree with you I must start somewhere and will decide from my heart and see I think Chinmayananda I glance thorough and start
    I have always time to compare with other and get deeper. I am sorry but I am not expecting to find the true edition everyone will sell his own opinion I am interested in the essence I must start somewhere

Thanks so much very wise

Namaste Believer I fully agree with you I must start somewhere and will decide from my heart and see I think Chinmayananda I glance thorough and start
    I have always time to compare with other and get deeper. I am sorry but I am not expecting to find the true edition everyone will sell his own opinion I am interested in the essence I must start somewhere

Thanks so much very wise
    Dear kamaferro ji,
    Please do not just glance through. Study with your heart and soul in it.

Love!
    Silence
    Come up, O Lions, and shake off the delusion that you are a sheep

Thread Information